Mariner Magazine - Return Postcard To Continue Printed Copy

syesmar

I didn't include my email address and telephone number. They already have that information. That was just a little too intrusive. I would have far preferred to have clicked a link in an email and they could save themselves some postage. But whatever.

Yes, I received the print edition by mail on July 9.

Hmmmmm.. interesting. Now I'm wondering if we all will receive electronic versions via email in addition to the printed versions we already received. :confused:

We received our printed copy around the same time as you all did (and mailed in our card), but as of today, have not received the electronic version that you speak of.

It's weird because I had never received an electronic copy before.

Receiving both electronic and mail copies of publications seems to be a new-ish trend. I now get emails from an alumni magazine that has the articles that will appear in the paper version that comes a few weeks later. Same with an investment firm as well as an insurance company. All three have recently asked if I would prefer to just receive the electronic version. I'm guessing "tell us you want the paper version" is the next step, although I agree it should be opt-out versus opt-in.

I didn't include my email address and telephone number. They already have that information. That was just a little too intrusive. I would have far preferred to have clicked a link in an email and they could save themselves some postage. But whatever.

I didn’t include my email address either, I just made a note that it was on file. I would have thought they might have given some sort of additional notice, perhaps by email, about the change. :)

Last week after the digital edition came out I made a 2nd call regarding when to expect my hard copy of the magazine. My magazine arrived over the weekend in a white envelope. No return post card was in the magazine. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if we get the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
An other way to save some money. TOO bad! The web site is so bad, it would be nice if H AL could continue provide us with decent informa tion in a format we are accustomed to, many of us like and find . enjoyable .

All they seem to focus on is how to offer their 'Valued guests less and less and pinch those pennies to the point of being quite ojectionable about it. IMO

IK have no interest in bare bones, all extas cut to the bone I want extras, I don't want to feel some one is tracking how much money I pay HL and how much I cost them. Where is a balance to trying to please the 'valued guests'? I ail in a Neptune suite because I like comfort, treats and extras. I expect HAL as a company to continue providing comfort treats and extras throughout h whole HAL experience. I think they are hdaed in direction away from that notion

With all due respect, s7s, I think you (and the other CCers who posted similar comments) may have gotten your knickers in a twist over nothing. As I read and re-read the Posts on this Thread, I kept wondering why HAL/Mariner Society would do such a thing, so I contacted MS directly and was advised (in writing) in relevant part as follows: "There is nothing required to continue receiving the hard copy Mariner Magazine. The card within the last issue is for guests who wish to receive only the digital copy. These would be returned to Marketing as there is no way to mark Mariner profiles with this designation."

I'm assuming that the MS's response was both accurate and sincere. I hope this helps clarify matters somewhat.

Orange On Board Booklet

Thanks avian777, for the information. When I spoke with a Mariner Society representative a few weeks back, she wasn’t yet aware of the postcard but also confirmed that Marketing, not the Mariner Society per se, currently decides who is sent printed copies and emails.

I just disembarked the Zaandam yesterday (what a fabulous cruise, by the way)! The orange booklet with On Board information (safety info, ship amenities, room service menu, etc.) has a couple pages listing Mariner Society Rewards. There is a double asterisk by Mariner Magazine and the footnote says “Email address required.” Just wanted to pass that along.

Happy Sailing! :)

Edited by syesmar
spacing

I have not received the Summer issue so I called the Mariner Society. The representative explained that American Mariners receive each printed issue but International Mariners, including Canadians, will only get every other printed issue. Non-American Mariners can read the digital issue.

I have not received the Summer issue so I called the Mariner Society. The representative explained that American Mariners receive each printed issue but International Mariners, including Canadians, will only get every other printed issue. Non-American Mariners can read the digital issue.

So US residents who sail occasionally with HAL will get one every year, but Canadians who sail regularly will only get one every two years? As a number of Canadians have indicated that they have received their copy, I wonder how accurate this information is. Whatever the case, it seems penny wise and pound foolish to save a few pennies by not mailing them out but risk Mariners simply booking elsewhere.

So US residents who sail occasionally with HAL will get one every year, but Canadians who sail regularly will only get one every two years? As a number of Canadians have indicated that they have received their copy, I wonder how accurate this information is. Whatever the case, it seems penny wise and pound foolish to save a few pennies by not mailing them out but risk Mariners simply booking elsewhere.

Totally agree. We get ours every time and BEFORE the digital comes out. LOL.

:confused::confused::confused: Are you referring to the Mariner Magazine (which is the subject of this Thread), or are you referring to the HAL Cruise Atlas, which is the subject of another currently running Thread?

I have never received one. Must look at my settings

I only received an email copy and called HAL. They ran out of Summer 2018. Do check your preferences or make a call. I like the hard copy too and pass it on to friends.

I just noticed that on Page 197 of the April 2019 - April 2020 Cruise Atlas (available on board the Zaandam during my recent cruise), under Mariner Society Rewards Program, that there is no listing for MARINER Magazine. There is a website address to a webpage on HAL’s site with the extension /marinersociety but the address does not yet direct to the MS page. The current MS page with the extension /en_US/mariner-society.html still lists the MARINER Magazine as a Star Mariner benefit. Perhaps the omission in the Atlas was just an oversight.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to make a final post, for those who may not know, about returning the postcard found between pages 22 and 23 of the Summer Edition of the MARINER Magazine. It said to return it by August 31 to update preferences for receiving the magazine.

Happy Sailing! :)

Edited by syesmar
spacing