What's up with the PG-13 movies at the pool?

Cruising on the Grandeur in a few weeks. We did the same cruise last year and LOVED going to the movies at the pool at night after an early dinner. They showed kid-friendly movies every night and my 5 and 7 year old loved it. I've been looking at recent Cruise Compasses and it looks like most of the nights they are showing PG-13 movies at the pool at both 6:30 and 9:00. Not only are they movies that kids wouldn't care much about, my kiddos aren't really ready to be around PG-13 movies. This was a huge part of our cruise last year and my kids have talked about it for 11 months. I'd be so bummed if we wouldn't be able to see them.

I know there will be people here that say "it's a cruise for everyone, not just for kids" which I totally get but why not two different movies? And, it seemed like more adults were into the shows at the Palladium than swimming and watching movies at 6:30.

Is there anyone I can contact at RCCL to request more kid-friendly movies at the early time? Or is this a lost cause?

How do you know what movie will be shown on a cruise that has not happened? The rci website has their email contact info.

I just assumed that the movies that they've been showing all summer will continue. That was the case last year, hopefully I'm wrong.

I just assumed that the movies that they've been showing all summer will continue. That was the case last year, hopefully I'm wrong.

Are you sailing the ship for the whole summer and were you on for the whole summer last year?

Are you sailing the ship for the whole summer and were you on for the whole summer last year?

Perhaps I should have said "most" instead of "all". It's easy to track via a sampling of Cruise Compasses, but thank you for your sassy remark, helpful advice is always appreciated. :D :)

Cruising on the Grandeur in a few weeks. We did the same cruise last year and LOVED going to the movies at the pool at night after an early dinner. They showed kid-friendly movies every night and my 5 and 7 year old loved it. I've been looking at recent Cruise Compasses and it looks like most of the nights they are showing PG-13 movies at the pool at both 6:30 and 9:00. Not only are they movies that kids wouldn't care much about, my kiddos aren't really ready to be around PG-13 movies. This was a huge part of our cruise last year and my kids have talked about it for 11 months. I'd be so bummed if we wouldn't be able to see them.

I know there will be people here that say "it's a cruise for everyone, not just for kids" which I totally get but why not two different movies? And, it seemed like more adults were into the shows at the Palladium than swimming and watching movies at 6:30.

Is there anyone I can contact at RCCL to request more kid-friendly movies at the early time? Or is this a lost cause?

I have been on the Grandeur several times and every movie they had was either G or PG

It depends on the pg-13 movie. I have no problems with my 7 year old watching some pg 13 movies.

You won’t actually know what movies are being shown until you actually go on the cruise. They could change.

I know it may be disappointing for you, but there are many other things you guys can do. Also don’t just a movie by its rating. Many movies that appeal to kids like Star Wars, or some marvel movies are rated pg13.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on the pg-13 movie. I have no problems with my 7 year old watching some pg 13 movies.

You won’t actually know what movies are being shown until you actually go on the cruise. They could change.

I know it may be disappointing for you, but there are many other things you guys can do. Also don’t just a movie by its rating. Many movies that appeal to kids like Star Wars, or some marvel movies are rated pg13.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very true, at least they are listed in the compass that day. I do sympathize with the OP. What makes the difference between PG and -13 can be subtle enough, you have to judge. I saw a recent Star Trek PG-13 movie on Majesty. Fantasy violence and apparent real violence. can d be a little different for many kids. The recent Movie Unbroken was also rated PG-13 and I would think many kids might find this disturbing. I saw this one on either Freedom or Oasis. There was some dance movie on Jewel this past year that was PG-13 for suggestive humor that would go over the head of many kids the OP's age.

Edited by BillOh
attempt at clarity

No matter what movie they play someone will be unhappy. If they play the 5-7 year old type movies (PG) then the younger adults won't be happy and they'll be posting a thread about the PG-13 movies no longer showing. Just the way it is most likely.

No matter what movie they play someone will be unhappy. If they play the 5-7 year old type movies (PG) then the younger adults won't be happy and they'll be posting a thread about the PG-13 movies no longer showing. Just the way it is most likely.
The last thing I want to do on a cruise ship is watch a movie. Save that for at home. There are too many other fun things going on around the ship to waste 2 hours watching a movie.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

The last thing I want to do on a cruise ship is watch a movie. Save that for at home. There are too many other fun things going on around the ship to waste 2 hours watching a movie.

We enjoy a hottub soak at night and the movie can add to the interest. On the pool deck in the caribbean doesn't seem like a waste to many, particularly those from the frozen north in February.

The reason there are so many fun things going on is that different people like doing different things. [emoji6]

The reason there are so many fun things going on is that different people like doing different things. [emoji6]

And I will add, the reason the fun thing I like to do are less crowded is because there are people that like to do other fun things more than the ones I like.

What makes you think even the majority of those who cruise feel exactly like you feel?

I never said they did. You can watch movies at home though.

Some of us are so busy at home, we can't watch movies - the vacation time is when we can sneak in some movie watching. We are not gamblers and some nights, the shows are either non existent, poorly timed, or not our cup of tea - so a movie makes a great evening alternative.

We used to think similar to you, but after enough cruises and seeing some of the same shows - a first run (or nearly first run) movie that we were too busy working to see at home - it's a nice diversion. And as others have alluded - being inside the ship at night misses out on being under the stars in the Caribbean - that's actually pretty priceless.

I don't know what movies they may be showing, however I have found that we too enjoy the occasional movie when cruising. I work two jobs, and my husband typically works 60 hours or more each week too. So going to the movies or even watching one doesn't happen for us often either. I like to see a bit of variety though too. We have in the past seen Pirates of the Caribbean, Frozen, Saving Mr. Banks, Thor, The DaVinci Code, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Martian while on cruises. All movies I hadn't really seen before.

Often the movie times don't work too well for us, but we will fit one in whenever we can.

We got off the Grandeur on July 5. These are the movies that were shown on our 5 day Bermuda cruise. I can't find the Cruise Compasses for Days 1 or 2. Coco played one of these days.

Day 3 - A Wrinkle in Time (PG)

Day 4 - The 15:17 to Paris (PG)

Unfortunately, I don't know how often they phase in new ones.

I am (and DH) probably some of the few that miss the small indoor movie theaters RCI used to have.

I would also like to see more movie options on in cabin TV's...the pay per view...waaaaaay over priced...on 2nd thought they should be free !!

Movie ratings and show times are in the compass. Parents need to be involved. Bambi was a G where the mother died in a horrific fashion and Airplane! was rated PG with full blown nudity. Get involved and don’t shelter your kids from the world