Agent Reviews

sukan

Hello, from what I understand it's not possible to mention or talk about specific travel agents on these boards.

Apart from the standard practice of googling those agents and doing some due diligence through well know social media sites, are there any recommended sources of confirming the legitimacy of these agents?

I'm more interested in finding out whether it's safe to make a transaction via one of those online cruise booking sites that generally show up on the first page of google when researching on cruises as opposed to the quality of service.

With that being said, I've come across discussions on this board that recommend speaking to a local agent, and picking one that you like working with. Just how beneficial is it to go with an agent that gives you a personal touch? What kind of headaches can they save you from? Right now, I'm just looking for a way to get the best price ceteris paribus.

Thanks for reading!

Hello, from what I understand it's not possible to mention or talk about specific travel agents on these boards.

Apart from the standard practice of googling those agents and doing some due diligence through well know social media sites, are there any recommended sources of confirming the legitimacy of these agents?

I'm more interested in finding out whether it's safe to make a transaction via one of those online cruise booking sites that generally show up on the first page of google when researching on cruises as opposed to the quality of service.

With that being said, I've come across discussions on this board that recommend speaking to a local agent, and picking one that you like working with. Just how beneficial is it to go with an agent that gives you a personal touch? What kind of headaches can they save you from? Right now, I'm just looking for a way to get the best price ceteris paribus.

Thanks for reading!

Love the "C.P."

Some cruise lines have preferred partner TAs. For example, Oceania has its Connoisseurs' Club. Many are both Brick & Mortar as well as online.

You could also check major metro newspapers that have occasional "cruise editions" in their travel section. Look for oft quoted TAs. Who does your college alumni association use for their travel program? Check the "best of ...." lists occasionally published by Condé Nast Traveler.

Love the "C.P."

Some cruise lines have preferred partner TAs. For example, Oceania has its Connoisseurs' Club. Many are both Brick & Mortar as well as online.

You could also check major metro newspapers that have occasional "cruise editions" in their travel section. Look for oft quoted TAs. Who does your college alumni association use for their travel program? Check the "best of ...." lists occasionally published by Condé Nast Traveler.

Haha, yeah, picked up that C.P usage when writing essays for Econ class. :D

Thanks for the tips. I generally do all my research online, but will start looking at other sources as well. Never thought of checking with my Alma Matter, good suggestion. :)

Regarding payments, transactions for cruises by travel agents should be made through them but directly to the cruise lines. I would avoid any agent who has the transactions made to them or their agency, to then be made separately by them to the cruise lines. All cruise payments should not go to them, it should go to the cruise lines.

I would also avoid those travel agents who charge fees not normally charged by the cruise lines for originating, modifying, or canceling a booking made through them. They are paid a commission for your booking by the cruise lines and any separate fees charged by them are just extra revenue to them that you would not pay if you booked directly through the cruise lines.

Ask questions first to understand what the agent's policies are before committing to a booking and IMO ovoid those as referenced above.

Our personal preference is to deal with a live person who can be reached via phone so that we are dealing with someone who can answer questions and be reached for any assistance needed regarding our booking v an on line website dealing by email only.

Agree with what said so far.

Also, even if you find it yourself, if you give the booking to a TA, you can usually get extra OBC or amenities. Example, last Princess cruise we took, I booked it. Then I contacted a TA who gave us an additional $300 OBC (and a free photo) for transferring it to her.

You also have a real person to help go to bat for you if things go astray.

Research is the key, check what online agencies are offering compared to TAs and going direct with the line. Compare apples to apples (the whole package) and also check deposit amounts, when final payment is due and what the cancellation fees are, if any.

Always use a Credit card not a Debit card so if something does go wrong you have protection and can dispute the charges. That said we have used well known large internet agencies for the perks with no issue. Usually they assign you an agent to work over the phone with. The only downside is that if you use a TA, the cruiseline won’t discuss your cruise with you directly. All communication must be done thru the TA.

Bottom line: if you can get all the perks cruise line is offering PLUS more, then a reputable TA is worth using.

Wow, guys, that's great advise!

@Got2Cruise, it's really interesting that the Cruise company's won't discuss anything with you if you don't book directly. It sounds like they're punishing you if you don't go through them. ;p I wonder why they do that because that's generally not how it works with Airlines, Hotels, etc.

@Mic, one of the most interesting things is that agents, and sites from different countries charge significantly different rates. I wonder if sales tax differences is the reason for this.

@Gretchendz, wow, lucky you! I did get a couple of quotes that included on board credit, but they were higher than quotes that came without any credit.

@leaveitallbehind, thank you, that is some really helpful information. I didn't realize there is so much to consider when considering a travel agent.

It seems that TA's have a much stronger presence in the Cruise arena compared to other travel and tourism related businesses. I'm so used to transacting over digital systems that it's almost intimidating to deal with a person. :')

It seems that TA's have a much stronger presence in the Cruise arena compared to other travel and tourism related businesses. I'm so used to transacting over digital systems that it's almost intimidating to deal with a person. :')

I'm just the opposite - I prefer to deal with a human in person as that is far less intimidating than a cold and easy to misinterpret email and having to wait for an electronic response, when a conversation is immediate and real time. On line is too impersonal.

And 75% of all cruises are booked through a TA of one type or another.

@Mic, one of the most interesting things is that agents, and sites from different countries charge significantly different rates. I wonder if sales tax differences is the reason for this.

Possibly but it could also be as simple as having the taxes and fees already included in the advertised prices. There is also regional pricing, so they may discount the fares for people from a different state or country to try and get a better demographic i.e mix of internationalities on board.

Thanks for reading!

I never know whether I can mention Cruise Compete - they're not a travel agency but a website linking potential cruisers to agencies primarily on the basis of price. The site includes user reviews of the agencies responding to your bid request.

• 1 month later...

Well, you can contact and book with most entirely online and via email if that's your cup of tea....

I say, find the cruise you want, at the best price you can find, and then contact a few until you find one who will give you a better deal.

Thanks for reading!

We were at a town fair and met a TA and decided to try her .She gave gifts for all cruises booked .For the first cruise we got a carry on bag that could be used on plane trips . For the second cruise we booked we got really good binoculars .We never booked a third cruise with her . We were then recommended to a TA agency that employed about 100 people .We have used them for 5 cruises.We were assigned to a TA who was available 24/7 (was because she resigned recently).This agency gave loyalty points for each cruise booked.The points could be used immediately or saved for future cruises and used at OBC.

We were at a town fair and met a TA and decided to try her .She gave gifts for all cruises booked .For the first cruise we got a carry on bag that could be used on plane trips . For the second cruise we booked we got really good binoculars .We never booked a third cruise with her . We were then recommended to a TA agency that employed about 100 people .We have used them for 5 cruises.We were assigned to a TA who was available 24/7 (was because she resigned recently).This agency gave loyalty points for each cruise booked.The points could be used immediately or saved for future cruises and used at OBC.

Loyalty points?

Cash is king.

Sukan, You ask about why cruise lines do not want to deal directly with those who book through cruise/travel agencies. The answer is actually quite simple,. When you use an agent or an agency they technically become your representative (and should be your advocate) with the cruise lines. The cruise lines pay these agencies to handle your booking. Cruise/Travel agencies handle nearly 80% of all cruise line bookings are very important to the industry. Accordingly they do not want to interfere in the relationship between customers and their agents. Besides, since they are the one's paying your agents, they do not see a reason to also pay their own employees...which essentially means they are paying twice for the same service.

If you do not want this kind of relationship then you do have the option to book directly with most cruise lines. Of course the downside is that you will generally lose 7-10% by dealing direct...but that is another issue. There are many here on CC who are willing to give up hundreds and even thousands of dollars (per cruise) to deal directly with the cruise line. Since we are stockholders we salute those folks....but we have not booked directly with any cruise line for our past 100+ cruises.

Hank

• Haha 1