Travel insurance - with pre-existings??

Partner has pre existing not covered with the normal list. Use to use CC with St George and then transferred to Anz CC both came with complimentary Ins. But that was when QBE were the underwriters now they are with Allianz. Allianz are not covering pre existing. So for are upcoming 30 day cruise to Europe we are using Insure & go silver cruise cost $693 covers us both plus partners pre existing. It was the cheapest I could find. Never used them before. Hopefully I don't have to make a claim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I was reading a letter in the ESCAPE travel section where a person had the CC insurance and had paid the extra to have their pre-existing condition to be assessed and as such were insured for their trip. Then the CC insurance underwriter changed to Allianz and now they are no longer covered.

This example has much deeper ramifications for everyone and being covered for what they paid for as it seems insurance companies can just withdraw their coverage at any time.

That's a real worry. On our Japan trip this May we had cover with QBE and it was taken over by Allianz but got a covering letter from Allianz that they would cover us as per the policy of QBE including PE. Again lucky we did not have to test this out.

I use Bupa via a Broker which seems quite cost effective for pre-existing conditions. I have had one AF event and no-one would go near me even though it was 2014. (I also have MD which most insurance companies don't understand as there are too many variants!) Now I pay an annual premium and it was about USD 270!

I was reading a letter in the ESCAPE travel section where a person had the CC insurance and had paid the extra to have their pre-existing condition to be assessed and as such were insured for their trip. Then the CC insurance underwriter changed to Allianz and now they are no longer covered.

This example has much deeper ramifications for everyone and being covered for what they paid for as it seems insurance companies can just withdraw their coverage at any time.

That sounds exceptional, and not typical. Often when an underwriter changes, it is only for policies after a certain date, and existing policies remain under the coverage and conditions purchased.

Certainly, coverage "can't just be withdrawn at any time"; hence why there is an ombudsman that you can raise matters in dispute, and similarly it would be a breach of ACCC rules to sell something covering something and then change it/not provide it.

Similarly with events where coverage has changed e.g. volcanos erupting, or terrorist attacks, or even the collapse of airlines/travel agents, coverage purchased _before_ a stated event date continues to have that coverage, whereas a policy purchased after that date does not have it.

Again, existing policies retain and deliver the coverage promised.

That's a real worry. On our Japan trip this May we had cover with QBE and it was taken over by Allianz but got a covering letter from Allianz that they would cover us as per the policy of QBE including PE. Again lucky we did not have to test this out.

It seems you were luckier than the person I referred to then.

That sounds exceptional, and not typical. Often when an underwriter changes, it is only for policies after a certain date, and existing policies remain under the coverage and conditions purchased.

Certainly, coverage "can't just be withdrawn at any time"; hence why there is an ombudsman that you can raise matters in dispute, and similarly it would be a breach of ACCC rules to sell something covering something and then change it/not provide it.

Similarly with events where coverage has changed e.g. volcanos erupting, or terrorist attacks, or even the collapse of airlines/travel agents, coverage purchased _before_ a stated event date continues to have that coverage, whereas a policy purchased after that date does not have it.

Again, existing policies retain and deliver the coverage promised.

It wasn't anyone I know, just an article in the paper. However in this case they should approach the ombudsman.

In addition, perhaps we should all mount a class action as many of us have paid a CC fee to include free travel insurance and now that same insurance is invalid.

Maybe the royal commission into Insurance should occur as well.

I use Bupa via a Broker which seems quite cost effective for pre-existing conditions. I have had one AF event and no-one would go near me even though it was 2014. (I also have MD which most insurance companies don't understand as there are too many variants!) Now I pay an annual premium and it was about USD 270!

I have AF (Atrial Fibrillation) I declared it to NRMA Insurance for our last trip and they covered me. Credit Card Insurance were very iffy about it.:halo:

In addition, perhaps we should all mount a class action as many of us have paid a CC fee to include free travel insurance and now that same insurance is invalid.

Whose CC travel insurance is invalid?

It's still applicable where it's offered as far as I've heard. Of course you still need to comply with any necessary conditions - it's not automatic and blanket.

Whose CC travel insurance is invalid?

It's still applicable where it's offered as far as I've heard. Of course you still need to comply with any necessary conditions - it's not automatic and blanket.

They are not covering any pre-existing conditions (apart from the regular 43) any more which makes them invalid.

It was all so simple some time ago - I would see a great cruising deal, book it and pay the deposit (sometimes the whole thing) and then go and arrange some travel insurance. That was in the days when I had no "pre-existings". In those days , I saw many people who I wondered how they even had travel insurance. In fact, I suspect that they didn't - because what travel insurance company would accept them??? But today, I have "pre-existings" . I have found cover/acceptance of my Atherosclerosis for our last trip - but now I also have Central Retinal Vein Occlusion ( which basically means " almost" blindness in one eye) - probably associated with the atherosclerosis but in reality , the medicos really don't know.

So anyway - it seems now that I will somehow or other have to find travel insurance BEFORE I book any travel!!! This will be something new for me - and wondering if any others are in this boat???

Insure and Go covers me for cardiomyopathy and Tony for CABGs. We've found it is better to phone them than apply online . Cheers, Sandy

Hmm, Allianz! :(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:We used to find Zuji good until Allianz took them over!

Got an email yesterday from Victorian Seniors Card. Amongst the offers is 15% off Insure and Go.

Too bad I am not going anywhere at the moment.

Beat me to it Docker 123, I just came on to write the same thing.

Might have to book another cruise just to make use of the offer!

Leigh

Just booked with insure and go.

Pre existing more than doubled the price, but that was only about 10% more than a few others wanted without pre existing factored in.

So all in all pretty happy.

Well, I qualify.

But the only insurance getting a workout at the moment is Medicare and nib.

Yeah I tend to give them a bit of a flogging, but have promised to never complain again, when the daughter had her surgery including a nerve stimulator inserted, the leads were about 20-30K a set they went through three sets with trials and final insertion, so that was over 50k then a week in hospital surgeons and all the rest near enough to $150k insurers didn’t bat an eye lid, didn’t ask a question just paid the bill, in th3 next five years it’ll be done all over again, reall cant complain about that.