Alaska Glacier Bay, Hubbard, Tracy ??

Tedferg

Glacier Bay is most people's favorite. Our ship stayed in front of Margerie Glacier for a very long time because it was calving very actively. Our last cruise was a southbound one that visited both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Hubbard wasn't as good. We've taken two cruises that went to Tracy Arm. The first time, the ship was able to get fairly close to the glacier. We could tell how much it had receded on our second cruise. I felt sorry for the people who had not been before. But the scenery is great on the way through the fjord. Some northbound cruises go to College Fjord instead of Hubbard (plus still go to Glacier Bay).

I guess I’m in the minority here. Hubbard was magnificent! We were able to get in pretty close. We liked Glacier Bay too both times, but it wasn’t as magnificent as Hubbard.

Tracy Arm was underwhelming. We also liked College Fjord.

It all depends on what kind of weather you encounter, too.

Basically, it’s all beautiful.

After hearing that Glacier Bay was a must. We were completely underwhelmed! The scenic cruising is stunning in Tracy Arm even if you never get to the glacier, which we haven't. ;p Hubbard Glacier is fantastic.

But keep in mind, any day can make your experience much different. The hype for Glacier Bay made us expect much more than what we saw. It was still beautiful however!

Cheers, Denise

All of these can change day to day and hour to hour. In Glacier bay in June, we saw calving nearly every minute or two from our balcony. When the ship turned we all went to my sister's balcony, and the glacier did not calve once.

Current conditions at any moment mean a LOT!!!

Tracy Arm was the one that we did not get to see.

I would choose Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. (perhaps by the small boat excursion with Adventure Bound). would be the two I would book if I were booking Alaska again. I would love to see Tracy Arm!!!

I still say that Glacier Bay is the 'must' for. a first time cruiser.

And, since we did Southbound, that includes Hubbard Glacier (which can sometimes be a total miss due to being fogged over) we did the Glacier tour of College Fjord (a couple of boat tour operators offer this) before boarding the ship. That was fantastic!!!! Even in some somewhat inclement weather!

Thanks for all responses - Tracy Arm was 11 years ago, 12 in 2019, our first cruise. So it would not be bad to do it again. However we are also leaning towards SFO departure and those itineraries are Glacier or Hubbard, so we'll opt for Glacier Bay.

Is there the opportunity to see Tracy Arm while on any of those itineraries? Either a long enough day at Juneau, or boarding Adventure Bound there at Tracy Arm, and rejoining the ship at Juneau?

I don't know - we are in early stages of planning and have not thought along the lines you suggest.

Since you have seen Tracy Arm, I am going to suggest Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is always accessible but Tracy Arm and Hubbard are not.

If you are doing a one way, Glacier Bay and Hubbard are on the same itinerary going Southbound.

I would also try to get a long day 8 am to 8 pm or so in Juneau so you can do Tracy Arm via Adventure Bound Alaska (small boat ride to Tracy Arm).

Are you doing RT SFO? I would do Glacier Bay. I personally like the Vancouver to Whittier runs as there are less sea days and more time in Alaska - especially if you do a B2B.

Cant go wrong with any.

Technically - you can. I have missed Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm multiple times. If this is your first cruise to Alaska which one of them was, it can be incredibly disappointing.

We've been to all four with two visits to College Fjord and Glacier Bay. Hubbard was our least favorite. Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier was interesting because of the sail through a fjord to get to it. College Fjord was great because there are multiple glaciers. Glacier Bay is the best, except in the fall when it's a bust; but you're going in the spring when it's really good. Enjoy!

We've been to all four with two visits to College Fjord and Glacier Bay. Hubbard was our least favorite. Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier was interesting because of the sail through a fjord to get to it. College Fjord was great because there are multiple glaciers. Glacier Bay is the best, except in the fall when it's a bust; but you're going in the spring when it's really good. Enjoy!

On a beautiful day, College Fjords is stunning.

Since you have seen Tracy Arm, I am going to suggest Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is always accessible but Tracy Arm and Hubbard are not.

If you are doing a one way, Glacier Bay and Hubbard are on the same itinerary going Southbound.

I would also try to get a long day 8 am to 8 pm or so in Juneau so you can do Tracy Arm via Adventure Bound Alaska (small boat ride to Tracy Arm).

Are you doing RT SFO? I would do Glacier Bay. I personally like the Vancouver to Whittier runs as there are less sea days and more time in Alaska - especially if you do a B2B.

We are thinking of R/T SFO - 10 days versus 7, no flights, SFO lovely sail away.

On this itinerary Juneau is 1:30 - 10:00.

Any preference for May 6, June 25 or July 15 ?

We are thinking of R/T SFO - 10 days versus 7, no flights, SFO lovely sail away.

On this itinerary Juneau is 1:30 - 10:00.

Any preference for May 6, June 25 or July 15 ?

IMHO, the earlier the better because the glaciers will be at their best. We sailed out of SF on the Star on 5/12/2014. If one is interested, you can access the top of the bridge for a stunning view of the GG Bridge and then its underside. It's quite windy up there, but a photographer's dream. See msg https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2105530 for instructions for how to access that area.

I wouldn't go before May 14 or May 15.

May 6th would be too early for me.

Those times are too late for Adventure Bound Alaska. Actually, those times in Juneau are poor (which is one of the best ports IMO). Many people on the Alaska board are frustrated in that timing in figuring out how to do multiple times.

I have sailed under the SFO Bridge and it is beautiful but I wouldn't sacrifice time in Alaska for it. I would just rather do a trip out of Vancouver. Better times in port, 2 glacier days, etc...

Thanks Barb - BD Aft balcony PP is $2,347, $2,815, $2,971 for May, June July respectively.

May is known as the "shoulder" season because school's not out yet so few if any families and it may be cooler in Alaska (plan for layering). But fewer people in port, too! We've been up there twice in May and had great weather.

May is known as the "shoulder" season because school's not out yet so few if any families and it may be cooler in Alaska (plan for layering). But fewer people in port, too! We've been up there twice in May and had great weather.

I love May. It is just anything before Mid-May can be all over the place weather wise. I usually go mid to end of May. I have probably gone 10x during this time. Just not sure if I would go early May.