Public areas NOT accessible for everybody?

Nemanoxer

I am the kind of cruiser that has not yet found a sense in spending more bucks than I have to. Means I have always been avoiding specialty restaurants (except two times which I regret), suite class, VIP areas and all that kind of stuff.

On EDGE, as per my most current understanding, I will not be allowed to access The Retreat and Luminae restaurant. And if I get it right, Eden Lounge and Magic Carpet will only be accessible for dinner guests during dinner hours.

Is my understanding correct?

I am the kind of cruiser that has not yet found a sense in spending more bucks than I have to. Means I have always been avoiding specialty restaurants (except two times which I regret), suite class, VIP areas and all that kind of stuff.

On EDGE, as per my most current understanding, I will not be allowed to access The Retreat and Luminae restaurant. And if I get it right, Eden Lounge and Magic Carpet will only be accessible for dinner guests during dinner hours.

Absolutely correct just like on some other cruiselines like NCL but I think you knew that....You didn't notice the Haven area on the Getaway...Also, several threads on this since construction began...

Edited by dkjretired

That is true, because some of us do not want to spend more for these 'extra' cost areas, and that is perfectly fine.

I see no reason for passengers not dining during dinner to have access to a dining room, unless you just want to sit there and observe?

The Retreat and Luminae are for suite guests and their guests, to which one can be invited if they are brought in by passengers in a suite... in which case the suite guest pays for your entry to the venue.

I do not view this as a limiting predicament, as opposed to what one is willing to pay for unfettered access to most areas of the ship.

There will be plenty of other places to see and visit and enjoy beyond these four (4) areas you have cited.

At the end of the sailing, only we can decide if what we paid for the access to (or not to) venues within our stateroom category and chosen Specialty Dining preferences, was worth it or not...

bon voyage

My only concern will be the inability of non-suite passengers to be able to look out the front. No access to the bow (not sure you can do this on other Celebrity ships , can on other lines), no sky lounge (allowing AC comfort during sail away), no basket ball court area up front (where you could go to see something). Gym is the only place or if you are getting a spa treatment. We only started sailing Celebrity recently and we love the Sky lounge and spend every sail away and Captains club cocktail hour there. I hope this will not disappear in remodels. Of course all it takes is one high roller to cover the cost of several (perhaps many) regular cabins... so I can understand the economics from the cruise line stand point. What was nice about the S class is that while there were suite amenities... they were not 'in your face'. Michaels Club and Blue were tucked away.. did not have that 'do not enter you poor people' feel to it. Hopefully this will not be the case here.. only time will tell.

My only concern will be the inability of non-suite passengers to be able to look out the front. No access to the bow (not sure you can do this on other Celebrity ships , can on other lines), no sky lounge (allowing AC comfort during sail away), no basket ball court area up front (where you could go to see something). Gym is the only place or if you are getting a spa treatment. We only started sailing Celebrity recently and we love the Sky lounge and spend every sail away and Captains club cocktail hour there. I hope this will not disappear in remodels. Of course all it takes is one high roller to cover the cost of several (perhaps many) regular cabins... so I can understand the economics from the cruise line stand point. What was nice about the S class is that while there were suite amenities... they were not 'in your face'. Michaels Club and Blue were tucked away.. did not have that 'do not enter you poor people' feel to it. Hopefully this will not be the case here.. only time will tell.

Agree on missing the sky lounge, I'm an early riser and used to get my coffee and go to sky lounge to watch us sailing into port. Also, wonder where the Elite event will be held if at all...

Oh well, I will be in 8100, looking forward will not be too much of a problem for me :D

Did not know that the average guest will not be able to access any front areas. Sounds strange, never had that on any ship of any kind.

I do understand the monetary concept behind specialty restaurants, too. It´s just that my experiences with them told me they usually are not worth like 50 $ surplus. Where I live, one has to be very hungry to reach up to 50 $ per person in a good restaurant, so I just like to keep it on land.

Retreat and Luminae and Suite Lounge are for guests in suites. BLU and Persian Garden , thermal suites and Relaxation are for AQ class, Concierge class gets the free welcome aboard luncheon.

Eden is a large gathering space open to all in which there is a Cafe, Bar and Specalty Restaurant..its hours and prices are listed online along with those of other Specialty Restaurants..same for Magic Carpet.

If EDGE layout does not work, there are other X ships that may work better...pre or post the M and S class refurbs.

Edited by hcat

Retreat and Luminae and Suite Lounge are for guests in suites. BLU and Persian Garden , thermal suites and Relaxation are for AQ class, Concierge class gets the free welcome aboard luncheon.

Eden is a large gathering space open to all in which there is a Cafe, Bar and Specalty Restaurant..its hours and prices are listed online along with those of other Specialty Restaurants..same for Magic Carpet.

If EDGE layout does not work, there are other X ships that may work better...pre or post the M and S class refurbs.

I'm guessing that on both the M and S class ships after refurb, the sky lounges will be gone.

My guess is that the elite captains cocktail hour will be in The club... I say that because, like the Sky lounge, it will not really be in use until after dinner and into the early hours. I am assuming that they will not want to close down Eden or part of Eden for this event... that would really limit available areas. We will have to see what it will be like. The ship will be so different, that all the new stuff may make the old stuff less important. But I know I will miss the Sky lounge on Edge. When I think about how nice a quiet it was, the revenue per square foot has to be low relative to the Martini bar.

I found the Sky Lounge more or less empty on my S-Class cruises in the past, except when there were events. However, I liked the place as an escape when things became too loud and crazy on party-dominated Caribbean days.

Not agreeing too much with the continous "class society" thing going on. Oh well, I might just be one jealous chump.

I found the Sky Lounge more or less empty on my S-Class cruises in the past, except when there were events. However, I liked the place as an escape when things became too loud and crazy on party-dominated Caribbean days.

Not agreeing too much with the continous "class society" thing going on. Oh well, I might just be one jealous chump.

I would rather do four cruises a year than one in a nice suite. I like the way Oasis Class ships on Royal handle the suites. The suite areas are high up ... separate stop deck 17, as I recall. But there you still felt that you had the whole ship... of course there too they did away with the Viking lounge. Another favorite spot... turned it into a suite location. But that ship class is so large that there were many areas... to visit. What I hope on the Edge is that there will be more views outside from the public areas. So often the drapes or curtains are drawn on S class ships... the Edge has been promoted as being outwardly focused... and the drawings show lots of windows... so I am hopeful.

My guess is that the elite captains cocktail hour will be in The club... I say that because, like the Sky lounge, it will not really be in use until after dinner and into the early hours. I am assuming that they will not want to close down Eden or part of Eden for this event... that would really limit available areas. We will have to see what it will be like. The ship will be so different, that all the new stuff may make the old stuff less important. But I know I will miss the Sky lounge on Edge. When I think about how nice a quiet it was, the revenue per square foot has to be low relative to the Martini bar.

The Club might be a good location.On Oasis the Diamond cocktail hour was held in a club... very.nice bar, kind of dark...small cozy tables and great buffet..Better than the MDR ..

Not much else we like about that ship but the Diamond am coffee and pm cocktails were very nice..

Yes, I will miss Sky lounge but time to move on for us.... looking forward to .EDGE ..even with some things we may not like...or may come to love!

The Club might be a good location.On Oasis the Diamond cocktail hour was held in a club... very.nice bar, kind of dark...small cozy tables and great buffet..Better than the MDR ..

Not much else we like about that ship but the Diamond am coffee and pm cocktails were very nice..

Yes, I will miss Sky lounge but time to move on for us.... looking forward to .EDGE ..even with some things we may not like...or may come to love!

I hate to be a downer but think the cocktail hour is on its last legs. With so many drink packages, probably just easier to give the coupons especially if the sky lounges are gone on the ship. Perhaps eliminate them as each ship is done with their rehab.

I hate to be a downer but think the cocktail hour is on its last legs. With so many drink packages, probably just easier to give the coupons especially if the sky lounges are gone on the ship. Perhaps eliminate them as each ship is done with their rehab.

Not a downer at all- you paint a likely scenario. We almost never go to the Sky Lounge event since we pretty much always have a beverage package and much prefer other bars. The Sky Lounge event has become much less attended - many nights near empty compared to several years ago. It seems that the Sky Lounge cocktail nightly is more well attended on trans-Atlantic voyages where beverage packages are not included.

The Senior Officers Party up there is always very well attended...last cruise we took on Infinity, they invited non Elites which made it way too crowded

Instead of retiring the event, maybe they need to punch it up ....used to feature samples from Specialty Restaurants...maybe have the keyboard player up there..have a few officers each night. make it more cozy than cavernous...not just for the comp drinks...but more social.!

I think I am going to start a discussion or add to one that is ongoing on the the main cc board to see how others feel.

Some just want the coupons but that,, is of little value to those with drinks packages!

Well, I guess I am alone.... one reason we like the Captains cocktail hour in the Sky lounge is because.. we never get a drink package. Last June cruise there weren't many in attendance... but in April... hard to find a place to sit down. I like the opportunity to spend time with new cruiser friends... the 3-4 drinks are all we need.

Here are a few of my opinions, I agree the Elite cocktail party is probably going by the wayside. There are just too many Elites and above and Celebrity can't make everyone feel special. The three drink coupons a day seem fine to me. You can still go up to the Sky lounge and meet new friends and old friends there if you please. As far as going in a suite I think Celebrity makes you feel special in that case. We normally take Sky Suites as they come with 4 perks and when you add the price of the perks to a balcony rate it doesn't come to that much more for that special feeling you get. That being said we took a suite on Edge because we wanted to see the suite areas. If I am not pleased with them I will go down a few steps to a regular balcony. We tried a suite with Royal on Anthem and was not pleased with the suite restaurant and the perks are no where as good as Celebrity. We have then switched to a regular balcony and eat a lot in the buffet for dinner because it has really good food there. We travel with our friends who take a outside room and we have a good time. I don't think one should put anything down until you try it.

Pat

Here are a few of my opinions, I agree the Elite cocktail party is probably going by the wayside. There are just too many Elites and above and Celebrity can't make everyone feel special. The three drink coupons a day seem fine to me. You can still go up to the Sky lounge and meet new friends and old friends there if you please. As far as going in a suite I think Celebrity makes you feel special in that case. We normally take Sky Suites as they come with 4 perks and when you add the price of the perks to a balcony rate it doesn't come to that much more for that special feeling you get. That being said we took a suite on Edge because we wanted to see the suite areas. If I am not pleased with them I will go down a few steps to a regular balcony. We tried a suite with Royal on Anthem and was not pleased with the suite restaurant and the perks are no where as good as Celebrity. We have then switched to a regular balcony and eat a lot in the buffet for dinner because it has really good food there. We travel with our friends who take a outside room and we have a good time. I don't think one should put anything down until you try it.

Pat

I would be happy with the drink coupons every night- they give more flexibility. We have no problem meeting a wider variety of people and have enjoyed meeting them at Martini Bar, World Class Bar or Sunset Bar. IMO the Sky Lounge is just too open and large to really meet a lot of people. On RCCL the Diamond Lounge is more intimate and has great appetizers- so much better than Celebrity in this comparison. We have done Anthem. The Coastal Kitchen suite restaurant does not really compare to Luminae.

I would be happy with the drink coupons every night- they give more flexibility. We have no problem meeting a wider variety of people and have enjoyed meeting them at Martini Bar, World Class Bar or Sunset Bar. IMO the Sky Lounge is just too open and large to really meet a lot of people. On RCCL the Diamond Lounge is more intimate and has great appetizers- so much better than Celebrity in this comparison. We have done Anthem. The Coastal Kitchen suite restaurant does not really compare to Luminae.

My thoughts exactly, I find it easier to meet new people if you sit at a bar. Also Coastal Kitchen is no where as good as Luminae. We went one formal night there and it was crowded and we were shown our table in a short amount of time but then we sat for 15 minutes without anyone coming over to us even to offer a glass of water. We quietly got up and walked out to the buffet. Our maître d came out to find us and apologized. I told him our problem and assured him I was not going to complain to customer services about it and that I was happy sitting with friends in the buffet. He invited our friends to come with us the next night. Four of us went and both of us agreed the food was better in the buffet. Never went back after that. We are Diamond Plus on Royal and their concierge lounge is nicer than Michaels Club. I always say some things are better on one line than the other and everyone has to decide what something is worth before spending their hard earned money on.

Pat

We used the Sky Lounge daily on our Baltics sailing. If at sea- it was great to have drinks/quiet and the view. In the evenings it was great for the night club vibe.

We were disappointed that on one ship it was cut in half for suites.

We will miss it... have yet to see deck plans for the revolutionized M class and S class

While I understand the logic behind your opinions and predictions, DH and I have only just achieved Elite level. It would be lovely to attend just one Cocktail Party before they disappear;p

I understand. We rarely attend, but when we do go, usually just when friends are onboard who wish to go, we love it. It would be nice to keep the option and it's a good way to get to know the CC host/hostess as he/she can be a good resource.

I understand. We rarely attend, but when we do go, usually just when friends are onboard who wish to go, we love it. It would be nice to keep the option and it's a good way to get to know the CC host/hostess as he/she can be a good resource.

We may find (as some of our Elite & Elite Plus friends have said) that it’s just not as fun as it once was, but we’re looking forward to trying it for ourselves. It does seem like a great way to run into people we’ve met (and liked) on previous cruises. We’ve met some delightful people during our travels, and it would be lovely to encounter them again:)

• 4 weeks later...