MoveUp

charlielinda

I just got an email for me to bid to MoveUp for my Equinox, September 3 cruise. Not sure [emoji848] what we will do. Perfectly happy with our cabin ... but always fun to dream. Has anyone won a MoveUp?

It actually reminds me that when we started cruising on Celebrity 20 years ago we would get to the port early and ask for the Port Coordinator and see if there were any cabins available to upgrade to. Amazing enough we were able to snag a Royal Suite for two cruises that way. Those were the days ....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got an email for me to bid to MoveUp for my Equinox, September 3 cruise. Not sure [emoji848] what we will do. Perfectly happy with our cabin ... but always fun to dream. Has anyone won a MoveUp?

It actually reminds me that when we started cruising on Celebrity 20 years ago we would get to the port early and ask for the Port Coordinator and see if there were any cabins available to upgrade to. Amazing enough we were able to snag a Royal Suite for two cruises that way. Those were the days ....

Funny. We had the same thing happen. This was before suite mania set it. The Port Coordinator was able to upgrade us from a Concierge to a Royal Suite. For $35 per person. For the entire cruise.

I also just got an email for Equinox Sept. 3rd. I picked our cabin last Sept. while on almost the same cruise. I see all the bid selection categories but I know that some of the cabin locations may not be in a place we would ever select and don't want to be in a bad location. If you could pick your cabin that would make it easier, but the room location is up to Celebrity.

I think I would bid for a Sky Suite if it included specialty restaurants besides the suite restaurant. Hmm ... but my husband has always wanted to use Michaels Club. It sure plays with your mind though. I’m going to stay strong [emoji6]

Received a similar offer today for our September 11 cruise. Made 2 bids to move up. The same cruise was sold out last week! Puzzling!

I wonder if EVERYONE gets a move-up email if they're offering the on that particular sailing. I also gone one (as did others) on the Equinox Sept 3. (OK obviously not the PH but everyone else?)

They say they can take until 3 days before you cruise to let you know.

Has anyone done a move up and had it take that long?

They sendt Move Up offers to those on our 8/18 sailing and Suites have been all sold out for weeks. Seems that for our cruise they are doing this in case of a last minute cancellation.

We already have all 4 perks and don’t feel that the extra $1000+ For a SS is worth it on a 7 night cruise. Now maybe if we didn’t have the Premium package & weren’t already in Blu, Michaels Club and Luminae would be worth something but still not sure it would be worth the minimum bid.

I’m very confused by this whole thing as well as this is the first time in all of our cruises that we have even received this letter. The weird thing is is that the email is for Concierge right up to a royal suite (we are currently in a veranda), but when I try to look to see what’s available on Celebrity’s website only a couple of suites are available but Concierge and Aqua are sold out. Hmmm...

I’m very confused by this whole thing as well as this is the first time in all of our cruises that we have even received this letter. The weird thing is is that the email is for Concierge right up to a royal suite (we are currently in a veranda), but when I try to look to see what’s available on Celebrity’s website only a couple of suites are available but Concierge and Aqua are sold out. Hmmm...

IMHO they are taking bids so if something opens up at the last minute nthey can move someone from AQ to a SS, $$ move someone from Concierge to AQ more $$, from SS to CS more $$, and the beat goes on. I think it is a great revenue generating plan but for us if the price is right we will book a Suite to begin with. The prices for minimum bids with no perks other than what you already had are crazy.

Got to agree it's a great revenue generating plan. Being Devil's advocate, :evilsmile: you could even argue that's it's fairer that a great number of people have a chance of an upgrade as opposed to an individual being picked by some totally unknown method.

Though the suite minimum bids, especially keeping only existing perks and points, are crazy amounts.

Got to agree it's a great revenue generating plan. Being Devil's advocate, :evilsmile: you could even argue that's it's fairer that a great number of people have a chance of an upgrade as opposed to an individual being picked by some totally unknown method.

Though the suite minimum bids, especially keeping only existing perks and points, are crazy amounts.

So should your initial cost be taken into consideration when the decisions are made? Someone who booked a GTY could be paying considerably lower for the cruise than a pax in the same type of cabin, so is it only fair then to allow only full paying guests to bid and be offered the MoveUp :confused:? Just food for thought as it opens up many cans of worms ;).

Still doesn’t explain why LLP stated only a few years ago that X would look at upgrading pax according to status so ensure your profiles were up-to-date :rolleyes:! Why bother saying it when you can generate further revenue from a new ‘MoveUp’ initiative (yes, I know it’s a business and that’s what it’s all about, but as I’ve said previously, why bother stating it in the first place if you have no intention of implementing it :rolleyes:).

It's true we don't know how the Move Up selection is made.

However, comparing notes on our Roll Call, the minimum bid for a RS varied from $900 to $1500. I would be surprised if the amount originally paid doesn't come into the mix.

Agree upgrading according to status is a vexatious issue though!

Since it appears that everyone who signed up for marketing emails get the Move Up offer there could well be multiple offers of the same amount.

If they have 5 offers of $1200 and only one Suite what determines who wins the bid? Person with the most Captains Club points, person who paid the highest price for their original cabin, first time Celebrity cruiser, the first $1200 bid submitted?? I think it will be like the upgrade fairy was where no one really knew how she decided.

Since it appears that everyone who signed up for marketing emails get the Move Up offer there could well be multiple offers of the same amount.

If they have 5 offers of $1200 and only one Suite what determines who wins the bid? Person with the most Captains Club points, person who paid the highest price for their original cabin, first time Celebrity cruiser, the first $1200 bid submitted?? I think it will be like the upgrade fairy was where no one really knew how she decided.

Imagine the one who they’re gonna get the total most money from, original price and upgrades. Azamara upgraded based on sailing status and whether you had a guarantee vs an actual room assignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also received a Move Up email for my upcoming Summit Bermuda cruise. We are in RS and the 2 PH cabins are booked according to the website!

I received a Move Up email for my July Summit Bermuda cruise. Both PH suites were booked (I was in a RS) and I was told by the shoreside concierge that they still send these emails out "just in case" of a last minute cancellation. Yesterday I received the Move Up email for my September Bermuda cruise. Again I'm in a RS and neither PH shows as available. I'll probably not even put in a bid!

Can’t comment on the “move up”, but if you’re sailing out of Venice, you definitely want a port side cabin. Sailing through the grand canal in the port side cabin at the end of deck 6 on the Constellation was a lifetime highlight. Enjoy your trip, it will be fantastic no matter which cabin you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interesting thing for my "move up" 9/3/18, is that there IS a PH available (apparently the ONLY suite available for quite some time). So people get emails for move up to CS, RS, Sky b/c of that domino effect. If a Royal bids and wins the PH, then they can fill that Royal. If a Celeb suite wins the bid for THAT suite, then someone else has to move up.

The other thing is this 1 "available penthouse" goes on and off the website as available, sold out, available, sold out.. MULTIPLE times a day. So just b/c it APPEARS there are no suites available, I don't believe that is necessarily the case.

Luckily I had just checked the price before I got the email, b/c the Move Up "BID-O-METER" a STRONG bid would have put it WELL above the current asking price by like $1,000 pp! Who in the world would pay that much more when all they had to do was BOOK the dang thing at a lower price? That part I don't understand.

I have sailed where the PH was empty on sailing so they raffled it off at Bingo. (A cruise critic person won it!!). I guess revenue management has to determine if they can make more by doing the MOVE UP vs the RAFFLE.

I find the entire process fascinating. We'll be extremely happy in our Royal Suite assuming our WEAK bid won't win. (safe assumption). We'd be even HAPPIER in a Penthouse, but only at a price point with which we'd be comfortable.

Long before we got our Move Up email we were coveting the PH and we both were joking "Gee I wish we could call Celebrity and say "Will you take $XYZ for the penthouse?" Well in effect, Celebrity is giving us that option. Which we actually appreciate, since no one is FORCING us to bid anything. We realize we're somewhere in "slim to none" territory but there is still that TINY EMBER OF HOPE. :D I'm just so impatient. Like DUDE put me out of my misery! :D

I received a Move Up email for my July Summit Bermuda cruise. Both PH suites were booked (I was in a RS) and I was told by the shoreside concierge that they still send these emails out "just in case" of a last minute cancellation. Yesterday I received the Move Up email for my September Bermuda cruise. Again I'm in a RS and neither PH shows as available. I'll probably not even put in a bid!

If you have cruised in a RS, I am curious as to why you would not even bother to bid for a PH if the price was reasonable and an amount that you would be willing to pay? If you won the bid then Celebrity could use your RS for someone else’s bid. This might give you an advantage in winning the upgrade.

IMO the person who came up with this idea is a genius. It certainly is a fairer system than just random upsells and upgrades based on “no one really knows”. More people can participate. Or as you said is likely for you, they can chose not to participate.

As you know the RS is an excellent experience.

We also got the email for our 8/25 ABC Island sailing. In March we sailed in a Sky Suite and got all 4 perks included, this sailing in Aqua we only received 2 perks. I understand that if you win a Move Up bid you do not get any additional perks, kind of a deal breaker for us. Plus, the minimum bid for a SS or CS "seem" to be more than the price to have booked them outright in the first place. The extra room in the SS is nice but Luminae isnt that much better then Blu in my opinion so we didnt bid.

• 4 weeks later...

My update: I'm right at 4 days out and no one on our r/call has yet heard.

Since my travel mate is unlikely to be able to travel b/c of a sudden serious health issue, I cancelled my bid. It gets too complicated on the off chance that we should win the bid. My card would be charged for 2 people and then what? Besides we booked a R/S and if I were purposely cruising solo, even that would be more than I needed or wanted.

But my prediction that we'd hear at 72 hours (stated on the moveup as the latest notification) is probably going to be accurate as we've heard nothing at 96 hours.

Anyone get notified? We did the move up in May,we were emailed with what was declined and the one we got,this time no email at all,happy with the cabin we have, would have been nice to have the program be consistent,oh well