Most convenient US port to sail out of

Funbobby68

Why? We fly wherever we have to to catch a cruise, be it 2 hours to Florida, 18 hours to Singapore and everything in between.

In 2005 we had very tough flight to San Francisco for a cruise. Strong turbulence first and then sharp dive.. well I still feel it,but I am ok. My husband is not. He experiences huge stress weeks before and some days after. He tried to fly after that several times.

I don’t see why I should subject him to it if there are other options from NYC area, Baltimore. We make 1 road trip down to Florida once a year (1 cruise out of 5). Takes 22 hours straight. We even drove to Canyons , well I flew, husband and son drove. :)

We will fly in two weeks to Venice... probably our last (we had two more) European cruise before we retire in 20 years :) and will do TA.

So it just doesn't exist for you. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This one for now yes.

We cruised twice to Canada and once to Bermuda.

We don’t mind to drive 3.5 to Bayonne or NYC.

For FLL, throw in the nearby shops if you need anything for the cruise. Within walking distance of the port are Publix (grocery store) and Total Wines & More.
Pretty long walk. Not sure of the need to walk from port over to TW and back. [emoji848]

Wouldn't it be easier to just stop on the way to the port.

Once you take driving out of the equation............

I agree that Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale is the easiest.

Reasons:

Proximity of the airport to the cruiseport

Cruise-friendliness of hotels with shuttles and pricing and such

Nice place for a day pre- or post- cruise

Southwest flies there

Forgot to ask, why take driving out? Why not take flying out?

I think what is easiest really depends on where you live :). But if you must fly to a port we would agree that Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) is the most convenient in the USA. If one flies into FLL the cruise port is nearly located on the eastern boundary of the airport (although it seems further away when you drive). The area also has a large number of hotels/motels (in all price ranges) some of which offer free or low priced shuttle services to the airport, cruise port, or both. FLL also offers the advantage of having several lower cost (and popular) airlines such as Southwest and JetBlue.

From BC (we get the impression you are from that area) another good option can be San Diego if you can find a flight into nearby SAN. As to Europe, many would say that Barcelona is a convenient port although BCN is a bit further from the port then we would prefer.

Hank

Do people actually pick a port based on the sail away? Is this a "thing" for real?

Anyways, since OP is flying, I'd say the most convenient port is the one you can get a great flight in to. Saving 20 minutes commute from airport to cruise port or whatever pales in comparison to a 3 hour layover or expensive flight.

Port Canaveral may be the least convenient though, since the airport is nowhere near it.

Based on sail-away, Manhattan (NYC) beats most. Based on time/related cost, pick the port closest to your home. Based on choice of ships and nearness of airport, pick Port Everglades.

If the thread is not limited to US, pick Rome for pre-cruise stay.

Based on sail-away, Manhattan (NYC) beats most. Based on time/related cost, pick the port closest to your home. Based on choice of ships and nearness of airport, pick Port Everglades.

Now there's a port not convenient to an airport. [emoji33]

Rome? The Op ask for the "easiest" port to sail out of and there is nothing "easy" about dealing with FCO to Rome to Civitavecchia!

Hank

Rome? The Op ask for the "easiest" port to sail out of and there is nothing "easy" about dealing with FCO to Rome to Civitavecchia!

Hank

Yes, but if you are going to be in Rome anyway - and you want a comfortable trip home across the Atlantic, Civitavecchia can’t be beat.

(Okay, I wasn’t paying attention to OP’s question.)

We usually drive to port (from Charlotte, NC), Oor favorite is Port Caveral.It is doable for a day's drive ( Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are just too far) and Charleston and Jacksonville, while closer, have limited itenraries.

CANAVERAL had efficient embarkation. We usually Stay at an inexpensive hotel on I-95 and park at park-n- Cruise on Merritt Island.

I don't get it. Are you planning to pick a cruise based on how easy it is to sail out of the embarkation port?

DON

Nope not at all , but since the world is my oyster , I can choose a efficient port to make life less stressful , I have sailed out of a few ports that were anything but easy to embark

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the helpful information, have decided to sail out of Fort Lauderdale,in Jan 2019 , booking onboard next month on Explorer , now to find hotel

What ship?

San Francisco. It's the closest to my house! ;)

Seriously, San Francisco is a great cruise terminal to sail from. It's right in the city, smack in the middle of the Embarcadero, a tourist mecca with lots to do before boarding. Lot's of shops to purchase last minute items, and lot's to see while waiting. We usually check our bags early then grab a seafood bowl at Lou's Seafood Shack for lunch, then head back to the ship. Plus, that sail out past Alcatraz Island and under the Golden Gate bridge is spectacular. The last time we took a cruise out of there, we saw several whales along side the ship, and we were STILL in the harbor and not even past the bridge!

Edited by sloopsailor

San Francisco. It's the closest to my house! ;)

Seriously, San Francisco is a great cruise terminal to sail from. It's right in the city, smack in the middle of the Embarcadero, a tourist mecca with lots to do before boarding. Lot's of shops to purchase last minute items, and lot's to see while waiting. We usually check our bags early then grab a seafood bowl at Lou's Seafood Shack for lunch, then head back to the ship. Plus, that sail out past Alcatraz Island and under the Golden Gate bridge is spectacular. The last time we took a cruise out of there, we saw several whales along side the ship, and we were STILL in the harbor and not even past the bridge!

I love San Francisco and yes the port could not be more centrally located to attractions, will be sailing there next month on Explorer with overnight stay

I love San Francisco and yes the port could not be more centrally located to attractions, will be sailing there next month on Explorer with overnight stay

Correct, but it's not your departure port and you're overnighting on ship, correct.

So would you say SF fulfills your original question?