Cabin Question

12Lawman

Looking at an Alaskan cruise next year and see that balcony rooms are thousands of dollars more than an inside cabin..Doesn't seem worth it to me..While cruising during daylight hours why not just sit in a deck chair recliner instead? Don't get me wrong..The privacy of a balcony would be nice but $2000.00 seems like a high price to pay..Looking for comments here..Thanks..

Looking at an Alaskan cruise next year and see that balcony rooms are thousands of dollars more than an inside cabin..Doesn't seem worth it to me..While cruising during daylight hours why not just sit in a deck chair recliner instead? Don't get me wrong..The privacy of a balcony would be nice but $2000.00 seems like a high price to pay..Looking for comments here..Thanks..

You are right. On a HAL ship there are lots of great viewing areas. The cabin is a personal choice depending on your requirements. I have not been in an inside but lots of people like them in Alaska because they are dark for sleeping. I need to see outside so we chose a partially obstructed stateroom on the promenade deck for our first cruise. Easy access to the largest balcony on the ship (promenade). Save your money for excursions.

One thing to consider is that cruise ship interiors are designed with the idea that a good chunk of passengers are using outdoor spaces. But Alaska cruises can be wet and chilly, so everyone moves inside, putting indoor scenery watching space at a premium. A personal balcony can be an escape from crowds. Especially if you're visiting Glacier Bay. Decks are a mob scene!

But. I have to confess. My perspective comes from being a person who gets a little freaked and panicky in a crowd of strangers. Your mileage may vary!

A balcony is nice, but not a “must”. Book what you feel comfortable paying, then watch for price drops. For our cruise last May, we booked an inside cabin about 6-7 months out, then upgraded to an outside view for $ 99 pp 2 months later, then upgraded to a balcony for an additional $ 49 pp 2 months prior to sailing. There are no guarantees you will see similar price drops, but it’s worth watching. With more and larger ships cruising Alaska now, there are bargains to be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For us, we like the convenience. If I want to be outside, I can just walk out there. And if I want to do it in my bathrobe, I can do that too. Plus some of the viewing areas get chillier being more exposed. We just really enjoy being able to look out whenever we want. So for us, it's worth the extra cost. Only on our first cruise with MSC (16 years ago), did we not have a balcony.

There is no right and wrong here. Some people like balconies, some don't. If cost is a factor for you, book an inside, and find the alternative solutions. Others who wish a balcony or (God forbid, oaktreerb) a suite can do what suits them. The ships that sail to Alaska have a number of inside cabins...perhaps as many as 1/3 of the cabins on board. Somebody sails in them...they don't go empty. Absolutely no one is forcing you to book a balcony cabin.

Only you can decide "worth" for you...none of us can for you as we don't know you.

Balconies Definitely comes at a premium. The thing about Alaska is that at about any time there can be something to see compared to other destinations where you mostly see water. So it’s “nice” to have the ability to see without going. But there are a lot of people who choose to save money and use the lounges for watching.

Balconies Definitely comes at a premium. The thing about Alaska is that at about any time there can be something to see compared to other destinations where you mostly see water. So it’s “nice” to have the ability to see without going. But there are a lot of people who choose to save money and use the lounges for watching.

Thanks for the links!

Alaska weather is always a gamble. If you’re lucky, you might have good weather and enjoy the balcony. On the other hand, it very well might be wet, or cold, or foggy and you never go out on the balcony. You could book something like an ocean view guarantee and improve your chances for a free or inexpensive upgrade. Just be prepared to live with the ocean view. We have done insides, ov, obstructed ov, balcony’s, and mini-suites. Never was unhappy in any of them. We don’t spend much time in the cabin anyway. And AK has loooooong daylight hours, so having any kind of window may make it harder to sleep. (Just another consideration). Book it, decide to be happy with whatever you book and enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sort of agree w you. I agree that the balcony is not worth the cost. However, I do need outside light so I would not take an inside cabin. We always take an outside window cabin - a good compromise in my opinion.

DON

Is it worth it? Probably not. Would I book a balcony again - yes, I would. I enjoy the balcony. I go out in the early morning hours. I relax with a glass of wine before getting ready for dinner and I always check it out again late at night. We just got back from Alaska 2 weeks ago. We had a balcony. My sister-in-law and a friend had an inside room. We all totally enjoyed Alaska!

It is a very individual decision. I thought about an inside room for this trip and decided against it. For me (us), we use and enjoy the balcony. Go with whatever makes you comfortable. I am so tempted to book inside rooms (which makes so much more sense) and travel more but I am stuck with the love of balconies!

I sort of agree w you. I agree that the balcony is not worth the cost. However, I do need outside light so I would not take an inside cabin. We always take an outside window cabin - a good compromise in my opinion.

DON

You say you need outside light..I was thinking just the opposite..I think I would sleep better with no light but I wonder if inside cabins might contribute to sea sickness for some..I went on a cruise many years ago and experienced a little..

We had an inside room because of cost and it was a savings of $2000. 00 that I spent on excursions. I did not scrimp on those. We did have a lot of inclement weather so I doubt if we would have spent much time on the balcony but I can’t know that because we chose inside. If money were no object, I am sure I would have had coffee out there in the morning and wine before dinner. But we had a wonderful time on our cruise and have no complaints that we did not get a balcony. And yes it’s dark, but I had my cell phone clock set up this time so I could always look what time it was. My husband and I both slept well and loved Alaska. Good luck deciding. There are so many things to decide. Whatever you do, there’s something else you won’t be able to do, so be happy with your choices. Alaska is amazing.

Booking a balcony was no brainer for us. We live in the country and have no neighbors, and can go outside, sit our our front porch, etc. without wrrying about seeing other people, and definitely didn't want to have to deal with crowds and people on our vacation. It was quite a bit more expensive than an inside cabin, but well worth it IMO.

We have an Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks. We will be in a premium balcony room on the Carnival legend.

I am not sure what the cost difference was (since there is no way I could do an inside), but we paid 4500 for 4 people for our premium balcony room.

I love the balcony and use it very often, so for me, its the only way I cruise.

If you like an inside, by all means, go for it. That's why they have lots of different rooms for people to choose from

We have done balcony, ocean view and inside -- all were just fine. I think the balcony choice is a personal one -- some people can't live without. For us, we are on the deck most of the time enjoying the scenery from all aspects of the ship (side to side and back to front). It is YOUR cruise, do what you want. $2,000 can buy a lot of excursions to enhance your cruise experience. If opting for an inside cabin, one thing we found is that if you separate the beds there is more room to move around in your cabin.

I had a balcony at the end of June. I enjoyed seeing the light, in fact I hardly slept because I was up and looking out all the time.

I did go out on the balcony sometimes, but actually when I looked at the bills at the end of the trip and realised that the difference between my girls obstructed ocean view and my balcony was $1000 I felt it wasn't worth it. I am a big balcony fan - but I wanted to be up on deck to have the opportunity to see all around. That was where the wildlife sightings took place.

If I were to book again, I would go for an ocean view - but when I am on my Med cruise, when I want peace and quiet I will not change my balcony.

You say you need outside light..I was thinking just the opposite..I think I would sleep better with no light but I wonder if inside cabins might contribute to sea sickness for some..I went on a cruise many years ago and experienced a little..

Choose a mid ship cabin that is not on a higher deck. Promenade or below and mid ship should be ok and inside Vancouver Island should be the smoothest seas. HAL has lots of inside viewing areas on their Alaska ships.

Looking strictly from a cost standpoint, balconies are definitely a luxury upgrade. But having had a verandah room on HAL to Alaska, we wouldn't have it any other way.

It really does come down to a personal preference

Did you decide if you are going on the Volendam? I looked at ocean view and lower prom with the sliding glass door. The balcony units tend to be suites on this ship. Settled on an ocean view, so we can at least peek out. My husband likes to be on the move, so we don't spend much time in our room. I have enough people walking by my condo all the time, so the sliding glass door didn't interest me. Besides, we are going all out on expensive excursions.

Did you decide if you are going on the Volendam? I looked at ocean view and lower prom with the sliding glass door. The balcony units tend to be suites on this ship. Settled on an ocean view, so we can at least peek out. My husband likes to be on the move, so we don't spend much time in our room. I have enough people walking by my condo all the time, so the sliding glass door didn't interest me. Besides, we are going all out on expensive excursions.

No decisions yet..Still need perfect alignment of all the stars before it can happen..