Question about sailing Europe in August

NaplesKnitter

Hi everyone - thinking about booking an August, 2019 European cruise (Venice, Greece, Croatia) but have heard that many locales are closed due to summer vacations. Can anyone please advise if this is an issue or if August is a good time. Thanks.

Hi everyone - thinking about booking an August, 2019 European cruise (Venice, Greece, Croatia) but have heard that many locales are closed due to summer vacations. Can anyone please advise if this is an issue or if August is a good time. Thanks.

We took a similar cruise in August 2012. I can’t remember anywhere being closed, but the high temperatures made it very uncomfortable for sightseeing. Unless you do not have choice, I would look at June or September. Less crowded and cooler temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may find some restaurants closed mid July thro August. We have, in Venice. Can't recall this being the case in Greece though agree it will be hot and likely crowded in July and August.

Just to add that end September/October you may find some resort tavernas start to close.

This is peak tourist season with much of Europe on vacation - cafes, restaurants and other tourist related businesses must be supremely confident in business the rest of the year to close at this time. An opportunity to empty the pockets of tourists with overpriced food, drink and tourist memorabilia must surely be attractive to anywhere with a seasonal peak

Some places do close around midday for a few hours and reopen later (until late evening) this isn't unusual. Occasionally you will get a national holiday - but this is usually just a day and if your stay coincides with one of these you will probably find a lot of the shops (not cafes and restaurants) closed.

I just returned from Europe last week and can confirm that in France, Italy, Montenegro and Croatia I did not notice many places being closed. As many others said the ships are at overflow capacity with many children and tweens. Temperatures were HOT and HUMID and all the tourist attractions packed.

We enjoyed ourselves but would be reluctant to do in in July or August again.

I have to agree with the others. As beautiful as the Med is I would never sail in July or August again. Our first Med cruise was in late July many years ago, and while it was an amazing experience, the oppressive heat and crowds were something we agreed we would not like to experience again. We've since done the Med in Spring & Autumn and found it much more enjoyable.

We have cruised Europe the very end of August and beginning of September multiple times over the last 5 years. I have never noticed many things closed. We live in SW Florida, thus, we are used to hot and humid so we didn't really notice the Mediterranean cruise ports being that overly hot and humid; however, during our northern European land expeditions in late August I have always found evenings to be chilly requiring long pants and a jacket.

Been on lots of European holidays in peak season (not cruises). Would echo previous posters. It will be mega hot and extremely crowded. Went to Rome last July - never again. It was like entering the gates of hell. Nothing will be closed, apart from the shops during the midday heat. If you can go in Spring or September, the schools will be back and the heat will have died down. Croatia is beautiful and The Amalfi Coast (Italy) is heaven on Earth.

We are from the UK and have to travel in August due to the school holidays. We love to travel at this time. Yes it is hot ( we are happy hot) and everywhere is open ! If you travel to Rome you will find it quieter than at other times as the locals go on holiday --- it was far busier when we visited in October one year. You can eat outside for meals and as long as you take lots of drinking water and go prepared then you will be fine.

:)