Oceania Announces Massive $100-Million Fleet Reimagining and Refurbishment

LauraS

I think we should all give the new decor and furniture a chance before deciding it will be uncomfortable! After all, Oceania knows it has a loyal clientele over “50” [emoji16] and I doubt they would choose seating that is not comfortable. IMO I think it looks exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just read, this morning, where bluejean manufacturers are apoplectic, due to the fact that the young and hip among us now prefer Yoga Attire for casual wear.

Acckkk!!! Shows you how hip I am (not).

Well, okay then.....yoga attire it is. Make that "collared yoga attire" so we can dine in the GDR.

news-oceania-refurb-martinis.jpg

I'm a comfy décor kind of person, and really didn't mind the old décor, though "old rich person from 1963" does kind of fit. That said, I have a chair much like the rounded dark chairs in the above picture and it is shockingly comfortable. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. So, I reserve judgement until sitting in it.

I hope Insignia is included in this massive makeover. I know she's going in for drydock this November, and we sail next year so maybe we'll get to experience a redone ship!

She will be the first to be re done

Have you read any of the blog??

Check out the latest Oceania news from Cruise Critic:

Oceania Announces Massive $100-Million Fleet Reimagining and Refurbishment

I noticed that that news item, has drawn a much larger comments response, than the usual news item does...some have zero, so it shows the tremendous interest in this...

oh and the other thread on this board (Next)....:)

I'm a comfy décor kind of person, and really didn't mind the old décor, though "old rich person from 1963" does kind of fit. That said, I have a chair much like the rounded dark chairs in the above picture and it is shockingly comfortable. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. So, I reserve judgement until sitting in it.

Yes. I've learned over decades of furniture shopping that there are chairs that I just "know" will be comfortable are not, and chairs I would have sworn will be torment to sit in are actually extremely comfortable. So I'll reserve judgement until my butt lands on them.

I'm looking forward to the changes. The shower curtain thing was a complete dealbreaker for me for the smaller ships. Now I can include them in the list of ships I'd like to try.

Since my preference is for the O Class ships, this $100MM does nothing for me. Since the itineraries for the larger ships are in the same areas every year I've done them and have had to look elsewhere for Japan, China, Vietnam etc.

Wondering why the delay for Nautica, Her refurbishment isn't scheduled until June 2020!

I suspect it is in keeping with the normal upkeep schedule. It costs a small fortune to take a ship out of service so the hull cleaning, engineering & ship’s services maintenance will be done at the same time as the interior makeover.

I think I'm saying the same thing only with different words. It may well depend on when Nautica was LAST in drydock. They wouldn't bump her up ahead of the others for this change, or at least I wouldn't think so.

As I've already said, I prefer the old fashioned scenery so a delay wouldn't bother me at all -- were I booked on one of the "R" ships at this point, which I'm not ... and given DH's difficulties probably won't be.

Mura

Nautica had a drydock last November. When we were on her last summer, she really needed it! Nice and spiffy for our February cruise though, at least in the common areas and PHs.

My guess that’s why she’s last to go in.

If Oceania will do a circumnavigation of Japan, it won’t be until Spring 2021 now at the earliest. Sticking to their regular schedule, it would be the Nautica that would do the cruise. We’ll be on her again for 20 days next summer. It would be nice to se her on the circumnavigation cruise in 2021.

We have been looking at some interesting Oceania itineraries, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger, but the dated decor has certainly given us pause. I think we will definitely book something ....Oceania has to modernize to keep up with all the new ships and refurbishments every other line is doing. They need to market to the next generation of cruisers....not to 80 yr olds...harsh to say...but that’s not where their future business is coming from.

We think the changes look fab. Only worry is that table in a PH cabin won’t be adjustable. Great to look at but too low to eat sensibly on and like dining in sometimes and always for breakfast.

There are links on the "Oceania Next" thread with additional pictures of the PH suites. One shows that there will be a taller, round eating-on table with 2 chairs where the current sofa is located. And the desk chair appears to be a real chair (not a stool). In front of the loveseat is a coffee table. There should also be a larger, eat-on table on the balcony.

Oceania has to modernize to keep up with all the new ships and refurbishments every other line is doing. They need to market to the next generation of cruisers....not to 80 yr olds...harsh to say...but that’s not where their future business is coming from.

There is some truth to it when you consider only the 80 year old cruisers but let’s not forget about those in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s - the heart and soul of O’s cruisers.

In addition, not too many cruisers in their 20’s - 40’s can afford to cruise on Oceania (obviously some can but not the majority) :) They are the ones that tend to enjoy the amenities that the new ships offer.

When we started out we were younger ... that was with Renaissance. Now we aren't ... younger, I mean!

Sure, the line needs to bring in younger people (even if they are only in their 50s and 60s).

I remember meeting some 30-somethings at dinner on one of our first Renaissance cruises back around 1999 -- we had three. I forget how I phrased the question. They were clearly younger than most of us! And at the time, we were on the younger side of passengers, too.

They were having a great time. They HAD had some second thoughts as they were boarding and saw four wheelchairs being hauled up on board ...

Nowadays there are a lot more than four, I think.

Mura

Interesting. In that it is presumed that "young people" all crave the same thing in everything even cruise ships and their decor and ambiance. If so, they certainly won't shell out what Oceania or Regent cost vs. RCCL or Carnival. One might hope "youngsters" of 35-50 have as varied tastes as some of we old timers (I am 60 so that puts me still square in the Oceania target market I think).

Personally, I much prefer (or did) the little R ships to the RIVIERA and MARINA precisely because the later strike me as too Miami Glitz for my taste. The little Rs were comfy and homely and the furnishings and fabrics were of exceptional quality. And they were unique... a quality that seems to be undesirable today. Maybe "everyone" likes the same thing after all... how depressing.

Interesting. In that it is presumed that "young people" all crave the same thing in everything even cruise ships and their decor and ambiance. If so, they certainly won't shell out what Oceania or Regent cost vs. RCCL or Carnival. One might hope "youngsters" of 35-50 have as varied tastes as some of we old timers (I am 60 so that puts me still square in the Oceania target market I think).

Personally, I much prefer (or did) the little R ships to the RIVIERA and MARINA precisely because the later strike me as too Miami Glitz for my taste. The little Rs were comfy and homely and the furnishings and fabrics were of exceptional quality. And they were unique... a quality that seems to be undesirable today. Maybe "everyone" likes the same thing after all... how depressing.

Is Insignia one of the "R" ships? It's our first Oceania cruise (next year) so I am not all familiar with them. And we are in our 60's also.

Is Insignia one of the "R" ships? It's our first Oceania cruise (next year) so I am not all familiar with them. And we are in our 60's also.

YES

R Ships = Insignia, Regatta, Nautica & Sirena

O Ships = Marina & Riviera

Yes, Insignia is, as are Regatta, Nautica and Sirena. The “R” refers to Renaissance, the defunct cruise line that had eight of these ships made, or “Regatta, the first of the eight ships.

The O class are Marina and Riviera.