Southern Caribbean - Help me decide

sprockie

I am planning a 10-12 day cruise for our family of 4 (two teens 13 and 17). We have cruised many times, mostly on HAL (Caribbean mostly) and on Celebrity (same). We love snorkelling and water fun and beach time at each port. We're not into shopping or bus excursions. My question is, if you had two cruises to pick from, would you choose one that goes to the ABC islands or one that hits lots of southern Caribbean ports.

eg. Half Moon, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao or

St. Marrten, Martinique, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay

I am also choosing between Celebrity and HAL. We love the Explore 4, but wish it was an option year round. We seem to miss it more than not. Also of note, my kids don't care about or participate in kids clubs, so that's not a concern with either line.

Any input is appreciated.

I am planning a 10-12 day cruise for our family of 4 (two teens 13 and 17). We have cruised many times, mostly on HAL (Caribbean mostly) and on Celebrity (same). We love snorkelling and water fun and beach time at each port. We're not into shopping or bus excursions. My question is, if you had two cruises to pick from, would you choose one that goes to the ABC islands or one that hits lots of southern Caribbean ports.

eg. Half Moon, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao or

St. Marrten, Martinique, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay

I am also choosing between Celebrity and HAL. We love the Explore 4, but wish it was an option year round. We seem to miss it more than not. Also of note, my kids don't care about or participate in kids clubs, so that's not a concern with either line.

Any input is appreciated.

We are not "beach people", but for my money I'd definitely pick an itinerary "that hits lots of southern Caribbean ports", especially if that itinerary includes TWO stops at Half Moon Cay (as your example seems to indicate). IMO the southern Caribbean islands offer cruise ship passengers more opportunities for active beach fun than do the ABC islands which seem to have more spectator-oriented beach activities. JMO YMMV

Some say B onaire has incredible snorkeling. Curacao and Aruba have good shopping .

My DH and I used to salk along the sea wall and ift he fifsh we saw frfom the sidewsalkl, along the wall are any indication of how g orgeous the fish, , snorkeling in Bonaire has to be a huge great. abc isLnds are terrific IMO

Both Bonaire and Curacao have amazing snorkeling from shore. At Bonaire it is a short walk to the water taxi to Klein Island, which is a deserted wildlife/marine sanctuary and the variety and quantity of sea life, coral and structure is world-class!

Here are a couple videos from Blue Bay in Curacao:

If great snorkelling is high on your list of priorities, Bonaire is by far the best of all of these islands, so the first itinerary should be your choice. On the other hand, the second itinerary does offer a greater number of good if not great snorkelling opportunities and a nicer variety of beaches.

Another point to consider is the hurricane damage done to Sint Maarten and some of the other islands in the second itinerary. We were in Sint Maarten in April and, while open to cruises, the island still had a long way to go in its recovery efforts. You should research what the current conditions are like before making a decision.

As for Celebrity vs HAL, we've enjoyed similar itineraries on both and wouldn't hesitate going on either. This really is a classic case of picking whichever of the itineraries suits you best and not worrying about which line.

Absolutely do the Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We did this one a few years ago, but we know Aruba and Curacao very well from vacationing there countless times. Easy to get around, out of the hurricane belt, lovely people. On Aruba, go to Palm Beach (you can take a bus or taxi), in Curacao, take a taxi to Blue Bay, and in Bonaire, you can get off the boat and walk around. We never did do a beach in Bonaire, as my husband went diving in the morning, so I stayed on ship till he came back and we didn't have time to do a beach. We had a wonderful lunch right on the water. DO IT!!!! I'm jealous!

We are not "beach people", but for my money I'd definitely pick an itinerary "that hits lots of southern Caribbean ports", especially if that itinerary includes TWO stops at Half Moon Cay (as your example seems to indicate). IMO the southern Caribbean islands offer cruise ship passengers more opportunities for active beach fun than do the ABC islands which seem to have more spectator-oriented beach activities. JMO YMMV

I don't see 2 stops at HMC. There's an "or" after Curacao, so I interpreted it as 2 different itineraries, each with a stop at HMC.

Roz

The ABC choice for sure and anything that includes the very low key Grand Turk makes this the overall winner choice.

You can walk along the waterfront access way to the little ferry that goes to undeveloped Klein Bonaire island for the best local snorkeling.

The public bus on Aruba is great - go one way RT to the more remote local end of the island which has some great beach and snorkeling spots, or take the other RT route that goes to all the large hotel developments with their highly developed beach areas. Or just walk to the closest beach to town which also gets good snorkeling reports.

Grand Turk has some wild, lovely beach areas, accessible by walking or renting a golf cart or other transportation at the dock. Depending on the time of the year, the further south you go, the warmer the waters. So again ABC's is your better choice. One November at HMC was the most perfect water day we have ever spent in the Caribbean, when other visits later in the season were a lot colder.

If great snorkelling is high on your list of priorities, Bonaire is by far the best of all of these islands, so the first itinerary should be your choice. On the other hand, the second itinerary does offer a greater number of good if not great snorkelling opportunities and a nicer variety of beaches.

Another point to consider is the hurricane damage done to Sint Maarten and some of the other islands in the second itinerary. We were in Sint Maarten in April and, while open to cruises, the island still had a long way to go in its recovery efforts. You should research what the current conditions are like before making a decision.

As for Celebrity vs HAL, we've enjoyed similar itineraries on both and wouldn't hesitate going on either. This really is a classic case of picking whichever of the itineraries suits you best and not worrying about which line.

Along the same lines, ABC Islands are out of hurricane zone and it is rare for them to be hit directly by one.

Celebrity will not go to Half Moon Cay (HAL’s very nice private island). The second group listed have had considerable hurricane damage within the last year and that must be the Celebrity itinerary.

No, both HAL itineraries in February on the Koningsdam (2020 - I like to plan and get psyched up way ahead)

So it looks like most people favour the ABC's.

We really like being able to get off the ship with snorkel gear and head to a nearby beach that is calm, some fun fish and isn't a long cab ride away. We also like ports that aren't essential to take a shore excursion which can get very costly with 4 "adult" passengers and multiple ports.

As far as the ports on the one itinerary, We've been to Martinique, didn't love it and I can't say I would miss St. Thomas yet again. We've been to St. Maarten, but understand also the devastation they are recovering from. I would love to see Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, but maybe that's a trip for the empty nest years. For a more relaxed, long port day cruise, I tend to agree the ABC's would be the wiser choice. As far as HMC, you could leave us there for 10 days and I'd be happy as a clam!

Keep in mind much of the Caribbean now supports the arrival of mega-passenger cruise ships, often several at the same time.

Walking off the ship to snorkel in quiet surroundings in that scenario is simply asking too much for most Caribbean cruise ship offerings. The ABC-Grand Turk-HMC is as close as you can still get with what you are looking for - only Curacao will require getting away from the port to accomplish this, but touring the town itself on your own still has some remaining historic charms.

The rest will offer you pretty much what you are looking for. Do a little homework ahead of time to get the better locations and access to them pinned down. Fantastic snorkeling no, warmer water and some in-water and beach fun, yes. We embarked on a similar quest when we took the same cruise - only Klein Bonaire paid off for snorkeling, but that is also what we learned up front before we left. The rest was just warmer water and dazzling beaches.

We did the ABC islands last January 2018 on the Koningsdam and loved it! Book a snorkel trip on Bonaire on the Woodwind - Dee and her crew will show you a great time. We are booked again on the Koningsdam for the other cruise that you are considering in Jan 2019! Loved the ship - and we have done these islands (St. Maarten, St. Kitt, Barbados, etc) before and are hoping the islands are somewhat back to normal in 2019.

We are doing the ABC islands on Koningsdam 10 night So Caribbean cruise March 17 2019 . We just booked Woodwind snorkeling tour for March 22nd in Bonaire . Their reputation is beyond any other vendor . Worth the $65 each which includes lunch & refreshments . You don't need snorkel gear .They supply it all .

Curacao can walk into town & snorkel at Blue Bay

Aruba best beaches Eagle or Palm beach .Take a taxi there .Much faster than bus

Have a great cruise :p

We did not care for Amber Cove. That is a wasted port in my opinion.

Take a shore excursion in this port and see the countryside and one of its leading city. Quite fascinating. Then compare what you see to photos of to its next door shared-island nation of Haiti. What went so very wrong - no greater contrast between these two sides of an invisible dividing line.

We did not care for Amber Cove. That is a wasted port in my opinion.

We went to Amber Cove a few years ago when it first opened. Although it isn't a Grand Turk with lovely white sand beaches, we liked it. They did it up perfectly. We did a shore excursion where we snorkelled over a ship wreck and swam with sea turtles. Bus ride through the countryside was lovely.

The only Blue Bay in Curaçao that I know is about a two hour walk from the cruise terminal. Are you thinking of a different location?

I think it was about a $15 cab ride each way. It is actually on the grounds of a private resort with a golf course. I don't think you could walk it in 2 hours and I'm not sure they'd allow you to come in as it is a gated area.