Tip question

Herbaltees

If they have been paid for I think that they may be cancelled and refunded prior to the cruise but likely have to call to do so (and probably 48 hours before sailing). They would then be added to the onboard account like they normally are and adjustments could be made then.

If they have been paid for I think that they may be cancelled and refunded prior to the cruise but likely have to call to do so (and probably 48 hours before sailing). They would then be added to the onboard account like they normally are and adjustments could be made then.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. The person has an immediate issue. They get paid during cruise and can replace the tip money then.

Refunds from cancellations of products or services prepaid as part of the fare will take 4-10 business days to process, then whatever amount of time the bank/credit card company takes for processing or how long it takes through the mail So If you are leaving on Saturday there is a good possibility that the refund will not be applied to the originating account or the check mailed till after the cruise.

Yes. The person has an immediate issue. They get paid during cruise and can replace the tip money then.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around someone being so financially fragile that they have to wait for payday to pay a couple of hundred bucks in prepaid grats but who takes what is, after all, a relatively high priced, completely discretionary, vacation cruise.

Hmm...

I have a hard time wrapping my head around someone being so financially fragile that they have to wait for payday to pay a couple of hundred bucks in prepaid grats but who takes what is, after all, a relatively high priced, completely discretionary, vacation cruise.

Pretty judgemental. I booked a cruise and then got laid off from my job. I will be fine, but you never know what someone's circumstances are. Maybe it was a bad decision, or maybe circumstances just changed.

If leaving in just a few days, is there any scenario that would put money back in your pocket before leaving? Credit card payment would be refunded back to card as credit. Cash would take longer to get to you?

Hard to believe anyone not being able to scrounge up enough for tips from somewhere, especially if able to pay back.

If you have the available cash just lend them the money. That's what I would do. They can give it back to you when they get paid. If not, well lesson learned.

Nope !

Never front front money to friends or family in financial distress unless you are prepared to lose it.

I know it’s a taboo CC subject, but a person in my group is exp. an issue and we leave on Sat.

If you have prepaid the tips, are you able to adjust them or remove them prior to cruise?

Never pre pay.

Well I am taking my 19 year old son. He paid for his own cruise and will get paid while onboard. He will have more spending money then. So that is just one example. Its not up to us to judge other peoples situations.

I normally pre-pay the grats/DSC. But reading the TONS of threads on tipping here on CC .... AND my last NCL cruise steward was AWFUL. I have changed my mind set to NOT pre-pay.

did you tell someone to get the situation rectified?

even if prepaid you can have them adjusted by visiting the guest services

I remember the days where they would leave envelopes in the cabin and everyone was scrounging for the correct change to put in each envelope for tips (SS Norway 1981)!!

Believe me, prepaying is a lot easier.

did you tell someone to get the situation rectified?

even if prepaid you can have them adjusted by visiting the guest services

I did not bother to go to GS. It was a 4 day cruise. He said he was going home to Miami to be with his family after that cruise. I just figured it was the end of a long contract and he was tired. But it was noticeable in his work. In addition, he tried to hit me with a charge for a large bottle of water that I never touched. I put them both on shelf behind the TV and they stayed there entire trip. He said the screw cap seal was broken. I said then you or someone else didn't inspect very well when prior guests left the cabin. I did not touch it and did not want to be charged $7 for a bottle of water!

They will likely reduce their available cash.

First, it will take a while for the refund to process, not just for Carnival, but for the bank (and it varies by bank).

2nd, during and after the cruise there will be holds for the tips that don’t come off until after the actual charge.

So, in theory they could be out of pocket (credit) for 3x the tips for a period of time after the cruise.

If they just leave well enough alone, they know the tip part is taken care of. Going on a vacation with no money to enjoy it is a bad situation, this will make it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

I remember the days where they would leave envelopes in the cabin and everyone was scrounging for the correct change to put in each envelope for tips (SS Norway 1981)!!

Believe me, prepaying is a lot easier.

I remember those envelopes. Seems like a lifetime ago! ;)