Biggest mistake on the Royal Class

stevenr597

We've done a dozen or more cruises on the Royal/Regal. Lots to love. The only real negatives for us is that Princess Live and Club 6 are not conducive to playing trivia. This is not a concern if you don't enjoy playing trivia but if you do, it's major. On crossings, the venues are jam-packed but the Vista Lounge (where there's plenty of room) is given over to bingo or art auctions that produce revenue. I understand that completely - but proper scheduling could provide time slots in the Vista for trivia as well, at least during the day.

We do love Princess Live, but have to admit it sucks for trivia. Daytime trivia was usually outside Princess Live in Club 6, which we found fine, but any night time trivia was inside, and it is clumsy. However when Matt is the CD, all of the shows taped in there are enhanced by his antics. Yes, thsc csneras canget in the way, but that happens even on Colbert, Kimmel, and the other network shows. Perhaps they can redesign the room with elevated cameras to help with the sight lines. I have to say, we loved the Crown, Emerald, & Star, but Royal is our favorite Princess ship thus far.

you forgot to mention that on the Royal and Regal,. there are no "free" usage of sauna and steam rooms. The other ships have these available at no extra charge and you don't have to pay for the lotus spa usage to enjoy them.

This lack is probably why we will not book this class of ship. Each of us has the things we enjoy on each ship or line. Do love to use the sauna and steam room but only for about 1 hour on a few days so not worth a spa pass. Miss some of the other items and would enjoy some of the new stuff but as long as there is a better match probably will not book this class.

It is a perfect place for everything but on a recent cruise it was given over to Zumba if I am spelling it correctly. The cruise director told us

that participants are fanatics...and asked us not to give his name or name of the ship.....I’m still not sure what it is but know they wear costumes and were there 10 minutes early to get in. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do not wear costumes but work out clothing. It is a fast paced aerobic type workout to high tempo music. It is a highly liked and attended program which is the reason people arrive early. Workouts are found world wide. Stop and watch is sometime.

I previously posted my concern about Royal Princess' The Enclave and have read no opinions either positive or negative about this facility. From videos that I have seen, it is not as appealing as HAL's Greenhouse Spa's Hydrotherapy Pool/Thermal Suite facility on their Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle Class vessels.

Opinions appreciated. Worth the money for a cruise length pass?

I think the title of the thread is a warning that people are expressing the things they don't like about the Royal class ships, but don't let that discourage you. The Royal Princess is my favorite Princess ship to date!! I loved it!! I loved the Retreat pool with only adults. I loved that I could rent a cabana by the pool and not worry about saving my lounger, or someone taking my spot when I grabbed a quick bite to eat. I loved the Bellini bar. Sure, I was disappointed with how tiny the balcony was in our mini suite, but I was warned and still wanted the fresh air :) It did not affect my cruise in any way. I loved the Wine Makers dinner, I loved the Super Tuscan dinner they did in Sabatini's. I am super excited about the Royal Princess being on the West Coast so I can cruise on her more!! I am loyal to my home port of San Francisco, but have never had a bad cruise! I've been on the Sapphire, sister to the Diamond and enjoyed that ship years ago. The Royal class ships are bigger. I am sure you will have a fabulous cruise. Don't worry about the things other's don't like. Enjoy your cruise!

What are the Wine Makers dinner, and the Super Tuscan dinners?

What are the Wine Makers dinner, and the Super Tuscan dinners?

Both dinners require you to sign up and cost extra.

Wine maker dinner, they have a few rotating menus, you don’t know which you are getting until dinner time. We did the Robert Mondavi one, it was good. It includes wine. Has a special dining room section, and excellent service. Plus you sit with a group of people who love food and you can interact with.

Super Tuscan dinner is a special dinner held in Sabatini’s. That also included wine but not as much. Think of it as the princess wine tasting but with a full delicious menu. I posted it one time but can’t find it now. You sit at a table just with your party for this one.

We were on my mom’s retirement cruise, her first cruise ever! so we splurged on her. She worked so hard her whole life to provide for us, we wanted to give her a special treat!

From what I understand wine makers dinner is always available but Super Tuscan May have been “testing the waters” on the Royal when we did it.

They are worthwhile. I wish other ships offered these extra options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO, the only real problem with the Royal class ships is the lack of oceanview cabins. For many, this narrows their cabin type choice to inside or balcony. Big price difference with nothing in-between.

One of the reasons that I haven’t sailed on this ship class. I just can’t believe that this ship class has been around for a few years now and the complaints are the same.

One of the reasons that I haven’t sailed on this ship class. I just can’t believe that this ship class has been around for a few years now and the complaints are the same.

Yes, it is annoying that they don't offer ocean view cabins but looking back at our past cruises we really haven't booked that many.

I could see that people sailing for months at a time might be able to save considerably but it hasn't affected us all that much.

We've come to accept the factors that seem to irritate many of the others people and find the pluses outweigh some of the ships negative points.

For me not worth the money unless it is too cold outside. Rather expensive for what you get. Mike

Thanks for your response. On embarkation day, I am going to have to visit The Enclave and make a decision whether to buy a cruise length pass at that time.

Thanks for your response. On embarkation day, I am going to have to visit The Enclave and make a decision whether to buy a cruise length pass at that time.

That is what I did and got the cruise length. The problem is if you don’t use it daily you feel you are wasting money and so a visit there daily tends to dominate your day....or at least that was my feeling. Mike