Biggest mistake on the Royal Class

stevenr597

Our DD was Diamond (RCI) before age 15. We used to be big fans of RCI, but since they changed their emphasis to Mega ships, carnival like atmosphere, downgraded cuisine, etc. we have sworn off RCI in favor of other lines (we have cruised on 14 lines). The really sad thing is that Celebrity is now being run by a CEO who came over from RCI....and she seems determined to downgrade Celebrity to something less then even RCI. Go figure. Princess without an indoor pool is a far better product then RCI...even on a bad day.

Hank

Opinions are very different and based on many variables. We cruise Celebrity, HAL, MSC, Princess and RCI. There is no one cruise line that is the best. The cruse line you like or that anyone likes is the one that they feel is the best fit for them. We have no favorite as they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

There are many things that we like about them all. But to make a rash statement that any line is far better than the other is in the mind of the person writing the statement.

All cruise lines are changing and that includes Princess.

That is why this thread is called 'Biggest mistake on the Royal Class.'

I personally would like to see an indoor pool like Celebrity, RCI, HAL and MSC have.

In addition, I would like to see a Happy Hour like Celebrity and RCI have, too. JMHO!

What about The Enclave? Have yet to sail on Royal Princess (booked for her New Year's Cruise), but I was looking forward to using this facility. Videos that I have seen show a dark environment, a small pool. Quite different than what I have experienced with the Hydro-Therapy Pool on HAL's Signature and Vista Class ships. The Enclave does not look as inviting as I expected.

The primary reason for promenades is not to be a place to lounge or walk but to facilitate loading of the life boats (hence it being called Boat Deck on some non-Princess ships). But since it’s rarely needed for loading life boats, someone had the bright idea of using this “ship’s space” (that is, space essential to the operation of the ship) as lounging/walking space when not needed for its primary purpose.

On the Royal-class ships, the life boats sit closer to the deck (in the sections where the promenade is very narrow). This has two advantages - reduces the obstructions to the cabins on the deck above and probably allows a quicker deployment should the life boats be needed.

So while I miss the full walk-around promenade of the past, I just keep in mind that walking and lounging were never the reasons for promenades to exist and accept that as marine technology has changed, there is no longer a legitimate marine reason for the full-width promenade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I could write a letter to Princess this is what it would be:

No longer have a jogging/running track on the sports deck, where it's windy and slippery when wet, and hot in the sun and relocate it to the Promenade deck where it would be made wider, say 20 feet, where you would have the same runners and walkers be able to do their daily exercise in comfort. And of course this would have to go completely around the ship

Then you would have to make a second Promenade deck for those who just want to relax and read and gaze at the sea without the sounds of the thump thump thump and coming through, and the possibility of getting "run" over by those coming through.

Then making the balconies bigger so people can actually relax and enjoy without having to sit with their knees touching the railing.

So, for me, my ideal Princess ship would have larger pools, dining venues with first class food, entertainers in the proper venues, balconies I can actually enjoy and fitness enthusiasts who have the proper areas to keep fit, separate from those who just want to enjoy their cruise.

Maybe something like this:D; downloadww2.jpg.fe44540e51dd48cf56e570dac2410693.jpg

Theo

I can’t find at the moment but someone said hand sanitizer not used in buffet area or not provided. I have been told on several cruises that first use to wash hands for 20 seconds and then use hand sanitizer. The hand sanitizer has been found not very effective. Same as many hospitals are saying..,the sanitizer should be used only secondarily. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can’t find at the moment but someone said hand sanitizer not used in buffet area or not provided. I have been told on several cruises that first use to wash hands for 20 seconds and then use hand sanitizer. The hand sanitizer has been found not very effective. Same as many hospitals are saying..,the sanitizer should be used only secondarily. Mike

It is used and provided in the buffet however hand washing is a better option.

Correct on the hand sanitizer not being very effective.

But there are always those who refuse to wash their hands under any circumstances. :rolleyes:

Is there, or is there not, a track at the top of the ship that has lanes marked for walkers, runners and a place to step off and rest as to not to 'bother' the others?:confused:

Yes, but it is totally exposed to the sun (or rain) unlike the promenade decks on the pre-Royal class ships.

Also, it is next to the railing and anyone who wants to simply be at the railing looking at the sea will be in the way of people using one of the lanes.

A significant omission to me on the Royal/Regal is the lack of anywhere, inside or outside, to get a forward view unless you purchase the Sanctuary.

Not entirely true. The Royal class does have some MiniSuites and balconies overtop the bridge with amazing forward views. So add those to your booking the Santuary option.

What mreasier meant (and I agree) is that there is no forward view for the average passenger who is not paying extra $$$ for the ability to see where the ship is heading or often also for a good view of the port city when docked.

Will most likely try Royal once she is on the west coast. Question: The deck plans have a listing on the side for Limelight but I don't see it on the actual plan. Can anybody tell me what/where this is? I see a couple of spots simply marked Bar. Is it one of these and, if so, which one?

It is a boutique, one of "The Shops Of Princess."

Reading this thread was a mistake; it's so full of negativity that I'm getting slightly worried for our upcoming cruise on the Regal. This will be only our second Princess cruise, our first was on the Diamond Princess nearly 8 years ago and yes, I realise things will have changed, but come on people, stop with the negativity.

Give me something positive.

Reading this thread was a mistake; it's so full of negativity that I'm getting slightly worried for our upcoming cruise on the Regal. This will be only our second Princess cruise, our first was on the Diamond Princess nearly 8 years ago and yes, I realise things will have changed, but come on people, stop with the negativity.

When I read the thread again I found the "negative" comments to be almost non issues to me, but I can see where some people are annoyed over certain things. My most recent cruise was the Royal (similar to Regal) and we loved it. Yeah the balconies were a bit small and the water feature took up space that could have been used for a bigger pool but first world problems to me. Some of the other concerns here I would agree with but it's personal taste and wouldn't affect the cruise for me.

Just go expecting a great time Babs and that is what you'll have.

When I read the thread again I found the "negative" comments to be almost non issues to me, but I can see where some people are annoyed over certain things. My most recent cruise was the Royal (similar to Regal) and we loved it. Yeah the balconies were a bit small and the water feature took up space that could have been used for a bigger pool but first world problems to me. Some of the other concerns here I would agree with but it's personal taste and wouldn't affect the cruise for me.

Just go expecting a great time Babs and that is what you'll have.

Agree.....love the Royal Class ships and get so tired of the CC Princess "Engineers" who know how to build a better ship....most of what they complain about is insignificant to a cruise plus Royal class ships have no problem going out full.....Many Princess people just love to be 'Negaholics" on CC it seems and you can find plenty of the same "complainers" on board a cruise......"their cruise is always half fulll!!!! :D:D:D:D

Whoa! I'm glad I love cruising, regardless of how much it has changed since 1982 when I took my first! :D

If I were a first timer, this thread would definitely put me off Princess and probably cruising!

Bob, love your comment, probably so you don't lose perks, too! :)

I'm wondering why some people even sail with Princess if they find it so annoying? The promenade is like smoking or not, formal or not, and those who use it to run, walk fast, are a problem, not people enjoying the promenade. All ships have a place to walk, run which should be used for serious walk/run folks.

The intensity people have these days for what should be a way to unwind, relax amazes me. I like forward views on ships, I love a promenade deck, but also like Regal/Royal. I'm on the Royal in October and I will certainly enjoy my two week cruise!

I have sailed on all the Royal class ships including 49 days maiden voyage of the Majestic and would rate them all A. Everyone has some minor dislikes but I read the thread as filled with “minor”. I have been on more than 3 dozen cruises on Princess alone plus other lines. Either I am easily pleased or just ignore very minor problems. I highly recommend all Princess ships. Each gives an unique experience and I always disembark with regret. Mike

It's a gorgeous ship, and the food is fantastic! The buffet is great.

Very relaxing atmosphere. My parents loved it as well, and my friends and their parents are addicted to Regal Princess (but only to Regal and Royal).

I do have a couple of other things that I personally don't like about Princess in general, but they are very subjective because other people, for example, would not want or need more family activities with a child who doesn't do kid's club onboard the ship on a rainy day.

By the way, I don't care about the pools on the ship, because when we sail in November and April, the pool water is always freezing and none of us can even get in. This is not limited to Princess - we couldn't get into the pools on RCI ships either. It's just too cold!

When sailing "some" people expect to have the amenities catered to them, like the running tracks, gyms, and want large balconies and huge pools. They forget this is a ship, so much space to use for everything. I have read so many threads and posts about the hours of the gym. Some equipment isn't usable until 8am, well I start my day at 4am...well, then overtake the promenade deck for their daily runs...for me that's totally unacceptable, when the ship provides a special "track" for them to run. Some people cruise for the "all about me" attitude. After a while, you will find your "niche". We don't hang out by the pool, even try to enjoy the Promenade deck anymore. We look for areas out of the way, quiet and comfortable, usually when the crowd is going left, we go right....Don't worry....you will always have a great time

Oh and DH and I have this "observation" going on every cruise....During embarkation, lunch and the first evening you will see people acting like total jerks...just laugh, because, after the first day, you normally don't see them again for the rest of the cruise

Trust me...you are going to love the Regal. Perhaps some people take the "Critic" part of Cruise Critics a little too serious. The Regal is a beautiful ship and will provide you with an incredible time. Having a good time is usually a by-product of having a good attitude. Go into this trip with a good positive attitude and you will walk away with awesome memories and a desire to go again.

Oh and DH and I have this "observation" going on every cruise....During embarkation, lunch and the first evening you will see people acting like total jerks...just laugh, because, after the first day, you normally don't see them again for the rest of the cruise

Your comment made me smile. DW and I love to get aboard our cruises at lunch time, and quickly settle into some comfy deck loungers on the pool deck (of any ship) where we relax with our books and pass the time "People Watching." It is sometimes the best entertainment (and comedy show) of the entire cruise :).

Hank

Not entirely true. The Royal class does have some MiniSuites and balconies overtop the bridge with amazing forward views. So add those to your booking the Santuary option.

I guess I should have said "public" space. I had friends in one of those MiniSuites over the bridge and they were indeed amazing. However, the forward views from these cabins and the very few forward facing balconies are not available to over 99% of the passengers.

Your comment made me smile. DW and I love to get aboard our cruises at lunch time, and quickly settle into some comfy deck loungers on the pool deck (of any ship) where we relax with our books and pass the time "People Watching." It is sometimes the best entertainment (and comedy show) of the entire cruise :).

Hank

Ah HA, so I'm not the only one :D , at this point, we are Platinum, so getting on "early" we head straight to the buffet, grab a table, and have a leisurely lunch, by the time we are done, here comes the crowd...as they come in, out we go...

Have you ever seen the "reunion" groups with the same t-shirts, or Mr. I am Elite and they will kiss my ( ) while I'm on this cruise...

One time we were entering the terminal and we were behind the Mr. Elite making a fool of himself, bragging to his "group" saying he can get anything he wants, any way he wants,, lets say we never saw him for the rest of the cruise.

Has anyone ever encountered the seating "Gestapo's". The uniformed people who "direct" you to your proper seating area? We had one at PE a couple of cruises ago...waving her arms stating "you---over here, you--over there, no NOT there, I mean here. The looks on some people's faces were priceless.

Opinions are very different and based on many variables. We cruise Celebrity, HAL, MSC, Princess and RCI. There is no one cruise line that is the best. The cruse line you like or that anyone likes is the one that they feel is the best fit for them. We have no favorite as they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

There are many things that we like about them all. But to make a rash statement that any line is far better than the other is in the mind of the person writing the statement.

All cruise lines are changing and that includes Princess.

That is why this thread is called 'Biggest mistake on the Royal Class.'

I personally would like to see an indoor pool like Celebrity, RCI, HAL and MSC have.

In addition, I would like to see a Happy Hour like Celebrity and RCI have, too. JMHO!

We try to vary our cruises among different lines, not trying to stick with just one product. We do like both Princess and Celebrity, and while there are differences, they are fairly close in the quality of their product. Moving a bit more upscale with like Azamara, especially that they are port intensive.

Our biggest gripe with Azamara is that all of their Suite Class rooms are just below the pool deck.

I started the threat, just to list some of the things that Princess could improve in the future. However, I do feel that the Regal Princess rates at least 4 and probably 4 1/2 stars. Princess provides an excellent product, and I would highly recommend Princess as a line and the Royal Class of Ships.