Biggest mistake on the Royal Class

stevenr597

Whoa! I'm glad I love cruising, regardless of how much it has changed since 1982 when I took my first! :D

If I were a first timer, this thread would definitely put me off Princess and probably cruising!

Bob, love your comment, probably so you don't lose perks, too! :)

I'm wondering why some people even sail with Princess if they find it so annoying? The promenade is like smoking or not, formal or not, and those who use it to run, walk fast, are a problem, not people enjoying the promenade. All ships have a place to walk, run which should be used for serious walk/run folks.

The intensity people have these days for what should be a way to unwind, relax amazes me. I like forward views on ships, I love a promenade deck, but also like Regal/Royal. I'm on the Royal in October and I will certainly enjoy my two week cruise!

There is nothing wrong in having a column or threat in which individuals state how Princess can provide an even better product. In fact, Princess does contact one after he or she completes the cruise to ask for comments in how they may provide a better comment.

Just because one feels that there is room for improvement doesn't mean that they did not enjoy the cruise or the product that Princess provides.

An example would be the Promenade deck or as somebody rightly pointed out the boat deck. On ships that have it I perhaps have seen 10 to 20 people ever use it for walking around the ship. I usually sit in a chair reading on that deck and so have a fairly good idea Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Royal class ships, Princess Live replaced the Explorer Lounge on Deck 7. The art auctions, other daytime activities are held there.

I was on the Emerald for 30 days in March and many people used the promenade deck for walking, myself included. No matter what time of day I chose to walk, there were always more than 10-20 others walking.

This might rank as dumbest CC question - what is Princess Live ? We have done 7 cruises with Princess and not noticed it.

First, it's only on the Royal and Regal..an "inhouse" TV studio, where the Morning Show is done, usually taped for a later showing on your TV. Most game's are played in there too, then shown later on your TV. Most time's though it stands empty.

If you are on the Promenade deck in the Piazza, go aft past the Captains Circle desk and the Future cruise consultant, there is a small bar then the entrance to the studio. There are lounge chairs all along the windows in that area

There is nothing wrong in having a column or threat in which individuals state how Princess can provide an even better product. In fact, Princess does contact one after he or she completes the cruise to ask for comments in how they may provide a better comment.

Just because one feels that there is room for improvement doesn't mean that they did not enjoy the cruise or the product that Princess provides.

Well said! To many cheerleaders try to control this forum. They don't realize others have a voice, opinion and may say their opinion. Nothing is perfect or should never change/ improve.

See, there it is....Even though one spends $$ and a lot of time planning their cruise...some people ALWAYS have to find something that's inadequate, wrong, different, even though the other 2999 people rave about it.

I for one, as long as I have edible food, clean linens, plumbing...I'm not home cooking, cleaning, playing taxi driver....I'm ON VACATION

Reading this thread was a mistake; it's so full of negativity that I'm getting slightly worried for our upcoming cruise on the Regal. This will be only our second Princess cruise, our first was on the Diamond Princess nearly 8 years ago and yes, I realise things will have changed, but come on people, stop with the negativity.

Give me something positive.

I think the title of the thread is a warning that people are expressing the things they don't like about the Royal class ships, but don't let that discourage you. The Royal Princess is my favorite Princess ship to date!! I loved it!! I loved the Retreat pool with only adults. I loved that I could rent a cabana by the pool and not worry about saving my lounger, or someone taking my spot when I grabbed a quick bite to eat. I loved the Bellini bar. Sure, I was disappointed with how tiny the balcony was in our mini suite, but I was warned and still wanted the fresh air :) It did not affect my cruise in any way. I loved the Wine Makers dinner, I loved the Super Tuscan dinner they did in Sabatini's. I am super excited about the Royal Princess being on the West Coast so I can cruise on her more!! I am loyal to my home port of San Francisco, but have never had a bad cruise! I've been on the Sapphire, sister to the Diamond and enjoyed that ship years ago. The Royal class ships are bigger. I am sure you will have a fabulous cruise. Don't worry about the things other's don't like. Enjoy your cruise!

[/color]

See, there it is....Even though one spends $$ and a lot of time planning their cruise...some people ALWAYS have to find something that's inadequate, wrong, different, even though the other 2999 people rave about it.

I for one, as long as I have edible food, clean linens, plumbing...I'm not home cooking, cleaning, playing taxi driver....I'm ON VACATION

Dittos to that comment! If I don't like a particular thing on a ship, I won't book it again.

I am looking forward to experiencing the venue "Princess Live". It sounds much like a similar public room that I experienced on Celebrity Eclipse. Used for such presentations that Celebrity did, the room "worked". For games, like trivia where there are teams and one needs to have movable seats/furniture to facilitate the teams, it would not work. Celebrity had one such trivia game there. I did not return for another.

Interesting, I still not reading much about The Enclave.

There is nothing wrong in having a column or threat in which individuals state how Princess can provide an even better product.

Actually, most of the requests for a "better product" are just asking for what has been on Princess ships before the Royal class. They are not asking for things that never have been on Princess ships.

One problem I don''t think anybody has mentioned yet in this thread is soot on the aft balconies.

I think it is interesting that you mentioned the soot issue on those aft verandas. When she entered service, lots of negative news, as I recall, about this. Not much since which makes me wonder if it has been resolved.

I had a Neptune Suite on HAL's Westerdam at the stern and we had soot issues. Not a big problem, but annoying enough that I would never again book a stateroom in such a location again on any ship.

First, it's only on the Royal and Regal..an "inhouse" TV studio, where the Morning Show is done, usually taped for a later showing on your TV. Most game's are played in there too, then shown later on your TV. Most time's though it stands empty.

If you are on the Promenade deck in the Piazza, go aft past the Captains Circle desk and the Future cruise consultant, there is a small bar then the entrance to the studio. There are lounge chairs all along the windows in that area

It was really meant to simulate and be a TV studio. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been on both the Royal and Regal Princess. There are many excellent features into this class and I would certainly recommend them.

But like any class, there is room for improvement.

A) Lack of a true walk around Promenade Deck.

B) Separate dining room for Club Class.

C) Bigger balconies.

But the greatest deficiency is the lack of a covered swimming pool.

I second A and C.... we did the Royal last year... happy to go back to the Grand in my home port.

We've done a dozen or more cruises on the Royal/Regal. Lots to love. The only real negatives for us is that Princess Live and Club 6 are not conducive to playing trivia. This is not a concern if you don't enjoy playing trivia but if you do, it's major. On crossings, the venues are jam-packed but the Vista Lounge (where there's plenty of room) is given over to bingo or art auctions that produce revenue. I understand that completely - but proper scheduling could provide time slots in the Vista for trivia as well, at least during the day.

Ah HA, so I'm not the only one :D , at this point, we are Platinum, so getting on "early" we head straight to the buffet, grab a table, and have a leisurely lunch, by the time we are done, here comes the crowd...as they come in, out we go...

Have you ever seen the "reunion" groups with the same t-shirts, or Mr. I am Elite and they will kiss my ( ) while I'm on this cruise...

One time we were entering the terminal and we were behind the Mr. Elite making a fool of himself, bragging to his "group" saying he can get anything he wants, any way he wants,, lets say we never saw him for the rest of the cruise.

Aren't you lucky?

We've done a dozen or more cruises on the Royal/Regal. Lots to love. The only real negatives for us is that Princess Live and Club 6 are not conducive to playing trivia. This is not a concern if you don't enjoy playing trivia but if you do, it's major. On crossings, the venues are jam-packed but the Vista Lounge (where there's plenty of room) is given over to bingo or art auctions that produce revenue. I understand that completely - but proper scheduling could provide time slots in the Vista for trivia as well, at least during the day.

It is a perfect place for everything but on a recent cruise it was given over to Zumba if I am spelling it correctly. The cruise director told us

that participants are fanatics...and asked us not to give his name or name of the ship.....I’m still not sure what it is but know they wear costumes and were there 10 minutes early to get in. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums