Mobility Scooters

cherjoe5

Hi,

You said about the hallways where "carts" are, I presume you mean the cleaners leaving their carts just outside the door of the room wedged open that they are cleaning, these would count as "attended" but leaving mobility scooters outside a room in the hallway whilst asleep or at least with the door closed would be classed as unattended and as these hallways are escape routes it would fall under the SOLAS regulations.

When all is said and done about SOLAS it would be very irresponsible of a person to leave a scooter in a position that COULD cause a problem to others be that a danger if there is a problem or just an obstruction for another passenger in getting to their room.

Interesting discussion between you and Havingfun2010. Thank you.

Not sure about the SOLAS regulations regarding "a scooter, or a Cart are the same item". In reality a cart is normally parked flush against the wall and can be easily moved, if we cannot get my DS wheelchair passed. Most scooter users do not park their scooter flush against the wall and they can not be pushed out of the way, so we struggle to get pass them.

Since my wife uses a scooter....a few comments. Scooters are for those that need help. A wheelchair is for those that are immobile. So people with scooters can walk and move.

So if you have a scooter, make sure it can fit into the room. If it can't, have a room near the elevator banks. Usually, you can park it there for short periods of time.

If you leave it in the hall, I don't think the ship is going to get fined, and it's not against the law. Look at all the service carts in the hallway during the day. What about all the luggage on boarding day, and the night before getting off. It is however, still not a good idea. Others, on scooters need to get by also, along with other people. Blocking a hallway is never good.

Best think, if you plan on going on cruises is get one that fits in the cabin.....and enjoy

With respect not all wheelchair users are immobile. Some wheelchair users can walk short distances but cannot drive, for safety reasons, or afford a scooter.

The luggage is mainly placed flush to the wall and the crew tend to place the cases on one side of the hallway only, on embarkation day, so wheelchair/scooters can get passed. As with the service carts suitcases can be easily moved.

cherjoe5 to answer your question; no ideally you should not leave your scooter outside your cabin during the day. In reality if you parked your scooter flush against the wall for only 5 - 10 minutes most people will not have an issue, particularly if there are no other obstacles in the hallway at the time; i.e service carts, luggage etc.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Former professional firefighter here. I've seen the tragic results of fire code violation and have zipped more fire victims into body bags than I care to remember.

SOLAS is not a "law" but an agreed industry standard or code. That being said, regarding paths of exit travel SOLAS states in Part D, Regulation 13, Means of Escape, section 1.2:

"escape routes shall be maintained in a safe condition, clear of obstacles"

Hallways, corridors, crossover, and access to stairways must be kept free of obstructions. Mobility devices parked in hallways, corridors, elevator lobbies (as part of access to a stairway or a crossover) are obstructions.

My response when I see a mobility device parked in a path of exit travel is to report it to guest relations. Second time, I ask to see the hotel director. Third time, I write a nice note to the captain of the vessel and enclose a copy of the above regulation. Fourth time, I notify the corporate marine safety officer.

Parking mobility devices in the corridors is not OK.

I use a wheelchair, not a scooter.

One cruise I had booked a standard cabin (hadn’t needed a chair for a couple of years) then disaster struck and needed to rent a power chair, made sure it folded down to fit into a standard cabin.

But it was a bit of a pain to fold.

Steward told us to leave it parked in our door way, I said I didn’t think that was allowed, long story short, head of hotel, paid us a visit and reiterated it would be fine to leave it there.

I've seen wheelchairs in the passageways outside cabins plenty of times. Scooters and wheelchairs are no more of an obstacle than the room attendant carts. Never really bothered me.

Between the cleaning carts, scooters, bags of dirty linens, peoples room service trays etc, its like a obstacle course for those of us permanently confined to a wheelchair making it almost impossible to get down the hallways at times. The room attendants carts are in the hallways a couple hours twice a day. I can usually work my schedule around them. :) My wheelchair can fit through a standard, non accessible, cabin door on Freedom of the Seas. I did it on deck 6 in a promenade cabin and on deck 12 in one of the POVs. Every scooter Ive ever seen is narrower than my wheelchair. Now whether or not you will have much room once you get inside is a different story but all scooters you can rent should fit through standard doors on newer ships. Please park your scooter inside the cabin or ask about an appropriate place to park it. :)

Former professional firefighter here. I've seen the tragic results of fire code violation and have zipped more fire victims into body bags than I care to remember.

SOLAS is not a "law" but an agreed industry standard or code. That being said, regarding paths of exit travel SOLAS states in Part D, Regulation 13, Means of Escape, section 1.2:

"escape routes shall be maintained in a safe condition, clear of obstacles"

Hallways, corridors, crossover, and access to stairways must be kept free of obstructions. Mobility devices parked in hallways, corridors, elevator lobbies (as part of access to a stairway or a crossover) are obstructions.

My response when I see a mobility device parked in a path of exit travel is to report it to guest relations. Second time, I ask to see the hotel director. Third time, I write a nice note to the captain of the vessel and enclose a copy of the above regulation. Fourth time, I notify the corporate marine safety officer.

Parking mobility devices in the corridors is not OK.

Thank you :)

I don’t know why they don’t have a coral for parking and charging your scooter or chair.

One of the first ships I sailed on did.

Because if you need a mobility scooter, you probably can't walk very far, so what are you supposed to do while the scooter is charging in the coral?

I kind of don't understand (I mean, I do, money, but..) why accessible cabin doors aren't motorized. Scooter or wheelchair, it's not easy to open a door by yourself.

As the above post shows, you are not supposed to but some people do it anyway. On the other hand, Royal Caribbean provides wedges to prop the door open for people with scooters on some ships and not on others. If you come back to your room and you do not have a wedge and nobody is with you to hold the door, then you cannot get the scooter in and out so you have to leave it in the corridor.

Ask for a door stop if one not already in cabin.They will happily supply. I experienced this. I admit it is not easy to get a scooter into accessible cabin without assistance. Must prop door open first to drive scooter in. It is impossible to hold door open and drive in. Halls are much too narrow to leave a scooter out in them.

I kind of don't understand (I mean, I do, money, but..) why accessible cabin doors aren't motorized. Scooter or wheelchair, it's not easy to open a door by yourself.

They are on the Radiance class or at least they use to be. Honestly, I found them slow and cumbersome but Ive been opening doors from a chair for 25 years. I have it down to a science :)

Well we weren’t in our room at those hours, so it wasn’t an issue. At night it was removed. He doesn’t have a scooter anymore since he had the surgery. Please work with your attendant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, then if you are NEVER in your cabin during the day, then I guess your scheme would work. :)

Ask for a door stop if one not already in cabin.They will happily supply. I experienced this. I admit it is not easy to get a scooter into accessible cabin without assistance. Must prop door open first to drive scooter in. It is impossible to hold door open and drive in. Halls are much too narrow to leave a scooter out in them.

Door stops are supplied on some ships but not on others. My wife uses a scooter and we were suppled with door stops (wedges) on two of our last three Royal Caribbean cruises. However, on the other one, our room attendant told us that supplying wedges to customers was "against policy".

Because if you need a mobility scooter, you probably can't walk very far, so what are you supposed to do while the scooter is charging in the coral?

Corrals are only useful if crew members take the scooter from the room entrance to or from the corral on request. That is the way it works on Disney Cruise Line. However, anyone who has priced a cruise on Disney recently knows that the extra services that they provide are not free.

Corrals are only useful if crew members take the scooter from the room entrance to or from the corral on request. That is the way it works on Disney Cruise Line. However, anyone who has priced a cruise on Disney recently knows that the extra services that they provide are not free.

Or your wife does it.

I know you can't leave a mobility scooter outside your cabin over night, but can you leave it outside the cabin during the day ?

Why would you want to inconvenience others? I don't have any issues walking, but even for me at times it can be an obstacle course. Can you imagine if even just 30% of the passengers did this?

try buying a door stop at home depot.

Exactly, they only cost a few bucks.

I've seen wheelchairs in the passageways outside cabins plenty of times. Scooters and wheelchairs are no more of an obstacle than the room attendant carts. Never really bothered me.

Been sailing longer 10/11+ nite cruises last 18yrs and on board is older crowd with lot of scooters, walkers and cane's. Multiple cruises I've witnessed someone leave their Scooter in hall and a passenger with walker can't get by it. Some try fold it up and going sideways with walker closed to get by, I've even helped a couple get by. But multiple times have witnessed a few walkers have to turn back and go around up the other hall which isn't easy for them...

Been sailing longer 10/11+ nite cruises last 18yrs and on board is older crowd with lot of scooters, walkers and cane's. Multiple cruises I've witnessed someone leave their Scooter in hall and a passenger with walker can't get by it. Some try fold it up and going sideways with walker closed to get by, I've even helped a couple get by. But multiple times have witnessed a few walkers have to turn back and go around up the other hall which isn't easy for them...

I am curious how wide are these walkers? I thought that walkers tended to be the same width as a standard wheelchair 26-29 inches. Standard wheelchair struggle to get pass Scooters parked in hallways but they can get pass, unless the scooter is parked in a narrow part of the hallway.

I think I’d be tempted to bang on the cabin door and ask the people to move their scooter inside - or at least summon security.

I think I’d be tempted to bang on the cabin door and ask the people to move their scooter inside - or at least summon security.

I'm not just tempted, I report them. It's all part of "If you see something, say something" as with any other safety or security issue.

Parking mobility devices in the corridors is a violation of SOLAS and cruise line policy.

I say "mobility devices" because I've encountered some children's strollers being parked in the corridor at night as well.

Why would you want to inconvenience others? I don't have any issues walking, but even for me at times it can be an obstacle course. Can you imagine if even just 30% of the passengers did this?

I hope you never have the mobility problems I have. Are you suggesting that people with disabilities should not cruise? I asked a simple question and was surprised at your nasty reply. I have been cruising for over 30 years and have never been accused of inconveniently anyone. Wishing you a great cruise.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

My question was if I can leave my mobility scooter outside for a short time. No worse then all the people that put their dirty food trays. I would place the scooter outside the door for short periods to get changed or get something out of the cabin. In all my years of cruising I have never seen such nasty responses!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

I wasn't calling any particular person nasty, it was in response to the many comments to my question, I was looking for some help and got answers like banging on doors, calling security and door stops cost only $1.50. I guess I am too sensitive.

No, you distorted what he said and then called him nasty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I wasn't calling any particular person nasty, it was in response to the many comments to my question, I was looking for some help and got answers like banging on doors, calling security and door stops cost only $1.50. I guess I am too sensitive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think you worded your question wrong.

I know you can't leave a mobility scooter outside your cabin over night, but can you leave it outside the cabin during the day ?

If you had stated " for short periods to get changed or get something out of the cabin." as you did in a later post you might have gotten different responses.

Most of us have experienced scooters sitting outside cabins for 2-3 hours at a time, at the same time of the day, every day of the cruise and believe me it is no fun trying to squeeze pass a scooter 2 or 3 times a day, at the same time of the day, every day of the cruise.