Viking River Cruise ..is this normal??

eal7

this is my first cruise and dh and i booked a veranda suite. we came back to the room last night and found the blackout curtain in our bedroom is missing. called down to reception, found out someone had bled on the curtain so housekeeping took it away to clean. they did not put anything back up. all night there were light coming in the window, so i moved to the couch in the livingroom area. At 5am we were rafted to another boat and my husband woke to people staring at him. He moved to the floor in the living room. We just called down to complain and they said it would be another day till the curtain comes back and there is nothing they can do, we just have to make do or they can give us a room at the bottom of the ship. I dont know why they can't move the curtain in the living area to the bedroom or take a curtain from the dining area until ours is back. Is this standard Viking service? I am actually speechless at this.

Dear eal7,

Thank you for detailing this regrettable experience. Though these circumstances are not typical, we understand your discomfort and wish for more agreeable accommodations during this housekeeping readjustment. We’re interested in addressing your experiences with you directly, and kindly ask that you send us your booking information to TellUs@vikingcruises.com, as Peregrina651 thoughtfully provided, so that we may better understand and hopefully restore your faith in Viking.

We hope to hear from you soon, eal7, and wish you a lovely evening.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

this is my first cruise and dh and i booked a veranda suite. we came back to the room last night and found the blackout curtain in our bedroom is missing. called down to reception, found out someone had bled on the curtain so housekeeping took it away to clean. they did not put anything back up. all night there were light coming in the window, so i moved to the couch in the livingroom area. At 5am we were rafted to another boat and my husband woke to people staring at him. He moved to the floor in the living room. We just called down to complain and they said it would be another day till the curtain comes back and there is nothing they can do, we just have to make do or they can give us a room at the bottom of the ship. I dont know why they can't move the curtain in the living area to the bedroom or take a curtain from the dining area until ours is back. Is this standard Viking service? I am actually speechless at this.

I think British humour should get its own emoticon to prevent misunderstandings. G.M.T., how did you end up in a small town near Passau? :D;)

Anyway, black-out curtains or the more German shutters or a similar sort of cover for your windows are essential to make you feel comfortable and not exposed when asleep. I thought "you could do better, crew" when I read about the problem and also thought of sheets, like pully8.

Glad to read that Viking customer service have jumped in to help out what should be dealt with on the ship to restore your comfort as soon as possible.

Apart from that problem, I hope you are having a great time eal7.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
spelling

I feel sorry for people who don't have a sense of humour. I thought it was hilarious.
I get that it was a joke, but the OP and her husband who couldn't sleep in their bed because they had no curtains probably don't find much to laugh about.

I get that it was a joke, but the OP and her husband who couldn't sleep in their bed because they had no curtains probably don't find much to laugh about.

You either laugh at problems or cry about them. I prefer to laugh.

Eal7, hoping that is your one and only hiccup for your vacation.

I find it so sad, when people's lives are rules, run and ruined by political correctnessand cannot laugh. Such people must be a buddle of fun on a cruise ship.

Apologies to Ella Wheeler Wilcox:

Laugh, and the world laughs with you;

Weep, and you get tweets about political correctness.

Personally, I understand their distress. I can't sleep at home without blackout curtains. I need total darkness and earplugs to sleep. I have eye shades for emergencies, but they are hot. So I do understand completely.

I also understand your joke, but those of you who can sleep under any circumstance (like my husband, who can sleep with lights on, TV, sitting straight up in a chair) don't understand those of us who have a terrible time on the best day to sleep. I'm very lucky that my husband "gets it"....the bathroom door from our bedroom can't be open even an inch because the sky light will keep me up. I envy those of you that can sleep!!!

I find it so sad, when people's lives are rules, run and ruined by political correctnessand cannot laugh. Such people must be a buddle of fun on a cruise ship.

Apologies to Ella Wheeler Wilcox:

Laugh, and the world laughs with you;

Weep, and you get tweets about political correctness.

Your joke seemed to be mocking the OP. She had an issue and wanted our assistance. My husband used to work rotating shifts and he used to place blankets over the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your joke seemed to be mocking the OP. She had an issue and wanted our assistance. My husband used to work rotating shifts and he used to place blankets over the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll have to check to see if there is a political correct cruise line where no laughter is allowed.

I'll let you know.

PS. Almost had a blackout typing this message.

Rafting with no curtains would be unacceptable to most people I'd have thought...

If OP ever returns to update us on the outcome of the story perhaps we might find out what happened to the net curtain in the bedroom, as there’s no mention of it having been removed along with the blackout curtain.

Unless OP’s other half had the lights on in the bedroom it’s difficult to believe the people on the other boat would have seen much if the net curtain had been drawn.

Oh my goodness! I didn't realise anyone replied, I just came on to check about tipping. I didn't get any updates! Thank you for the helpful replies.My husband had a word with them that morning and the curtain was replaced with one from the dining room within the hour. They have really been good about fixing the problem, I just think that should have been done when the first one was taken down, just seemed a bit strange to ask us to go without for 2 days. We didn't feel comfortable nor could we sleep because of the light. To those of you who are ok with it, I wish you were on our cruise so we could have taken yours! lol ;) I am glad we didn't have to go without for another night. Viking has gone above and beyond trying to fix it, can't fault them. It was just very strange, especially being our first cruise, wasnt sure what to make of it.