Port of Tyne

emam

Someone told me tonight that P&O are going to sail from Tyneside (Newcastle). With the ship believed to be Oriana.Their TA told them this.

Has anyone else heard this, or do you think there is any chance of it happening.

Someone told me tonight that P&O are going to sail from Tyneside (Newcastle). With the ship believed to be Oriana.Their TA told them this.

Has anyone else heard this, or do you think there is any chance of it happening.

On the basis that P&O is disposing of Oriana in less than 12 months time and all cruises to that date are publicised (with none from Newcastle as far as I know) then at least some of that story is untrue. I cannot recall who is buying Oriana, so I guess it’s possible that the new owners might, but I haven’t seen any announcements from P&O.

With their ships getting bigger and bigger, I think the chances of P&O sailing from any U.K. ports other than Southampton is probably getting less and less, but I guess it would certainly would be worth them trying it with one of the smaller ships. We are fortunate that we only live a couple of hours from Southampton and I guess our inclination to do as many P&O Cruises would probably lessen if we had to drive to, say, Newcastle or Scotland every time, so I can see that Southampton is likely to be a deterrent to many who live in the northern half of the U.K.

From my home I can literally see the shipping movements on the Tyne and at the moment the main users of the cruise ship terminal at North Shields are Marella and Fred Ohlsson. We have seen many other ships using it for ports of call including Holland America, Disney, Seabourne, etc so the facilities are in place. We would love to cruise from our local port but realistically can’t see P&O using it. We can but hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is only one cruise berth at North Shields but it can take a large ship, one of the newer Mien Schiffs was there recently. It is also ideally placed for Northern and Baltic cruises.. Port of Tyne would have to up their game as well as they are basically geared up to handle ferries. One of the terminal scanners broke down when I was last there which did not help plus actually getting the cases onto the ship required construction of a special cage, no using a conveyor as the dock height and tide conspires against it.I doubt P&O would bother as they are Southampton oriented.

There is only one cruise berth at North Shields but it can take a large ship, one of the newer Mien Schiffs was there recently. It is also ideally placed for Northern and Baltic cruises.. Port of Tyne would have to up their game as well as they are basically geared up to handle ferries. One of the terminal scanners broke down when I was last there which did not help plus actually getting the cases onto the ship required construction of a special cage, no using a conveyor as the dock height and tide conspires against it.I doubt P&O would bother as they are Southampton oriented.

Have picked up many pax from Oriana and i always asked the same question, were is Oriana going when she retire,s from the P.O fleet and have heard to a Chinese consortium anchored of shore as a gambling ship well just wait and see.

Perhaps P&O should consider moving a ship North. Southampton is getting far too busy.

According to the local newspaper there August was their busiest month ever. We left from the QE2 terminal but came back into a temporary berth on Fred because there were 6 ships in and no space.

The congestion in Soton is getting ridiculous and if I was a local I would be getting extremely annoyed by it. Just too many ships now at peak season.

I don’t understand why one of the bigger lines don’t think about using Newcastle, Liverpool or Rosyth for example. The ports are deep and the infrastructure already there.

P&O make a lot of money from customers in Scotland, the North of England and North Wales. Perhaps it’s about time they thought about making our life a bit easier and reducing the pressure on Southampton.

P&O are firmly entrenched in Southampton - right opposite their Headquarters! I can't see them starting regional turnarounds. Also, I haven't done any 'empirical research' but it always seems to me that with Fred Olsen & CMV, the biggest last-minute price reductions are always on cruises out of Liverpool, Rosyth & Newcastle.

Oriana is China-bound.

Edited by Britboys
addition

Rosyth can only accommodate smaller ships. Is there even a terminal building. Newcastle has a very small terminal building and a bus to the ship. Not ideal for the new look P and O. Not sure about Liverpool. I think Southampton, Dover and Tilbury are the only dedicated cruise terminals. the rest are ferry terminals or cargo docks and less than ideal for big ship turnaround. Harwich is my favourite terminal about fifty feet from train to ship. I believe Southampton and Tilbury use to be like that. It would be good to see more regional departures but I think it will remain occasional cruises, small ships, older ships and not P and O.

P&O are firmly entrenched in Southampton - right opposite their Headquarters! I can't see them starting regional turnarounds. Also, I haven't done any 'empirical research' but it always seems to me that with Fred Olsen & CMV, the biggest last-minute price reductions are always on cruises out of Liverpool, Rosyth & Newcastle.

Oriana is China-bound.

I don’t know about the other two ports but Rosyth sells well, as does Dundee when it is offered.

Dundee also has the new V&A opening next week so may be more attractive as a port of call or if we are lucky a port of embarkation. On the news this morning they were comparing the regeneration and the new museum to Bilbao in terms of what might come next for tourism.

They are firmly entrenched in Southampton until the green police start to campaign against pollution level in Soton is apparently pretty bad.

Iona is supposed to be more environmentally friendly so perhaps the new ships will improve the situation re the ship emission but will still increase the number of cars.

On the basis that P&O is disposing of Oriana in less than 12 months time and all cruises to that date are publicised (with none from Newcastle as far as I know) then at least some of that story is untrue. I cannot recall who is buying Oriana, so I guess it’s possible that the new owners might, but I haven’t seen any announcements from P&O.

With their ships getting bigger and bigger, I think the chances of P&O sailing from any U.K. ports other than Southampton is probably getting less and less, but I guess it would certainly would be worth them trying it with one of the smaller ships. We are fortunate that we only live a couple of hours from Southampton and I guess our inclination to do as many P&O Cruises would probably lessen if we had to drive to, say, Newcastle or Scotland every time, so I can see that Southampton is likely to be a deterrent to many who live in the northern half of the U.K.

Marella Explorer (previously RCCL Splendour of the seas) has been sailing regularly this summer from Newcastle and is bigger than Oriana so it wouldn't be a problem for Oriana to sail here.

As we live 15 minutes drive to Newcastle port I would hope Oriana new owners would locate her here.

From my home I can literally see the shipping movements on the Tyne and at the moment the main users of the cruise ship terminal at North Shields are Marella and Fred Ohlsson. We have seen many other ships using it for ports of call including Holland America, Disney, Seabourne, etc so the facilities are in place. We would love to cruise from our local port but realistically can’t see P&O using it. We can but hope.

Cruise and Maritime and DFDS also sail regularly from here.

Given that P&O, like many other cruise lines, are building bigger and bigger, there is no realistic chance of any of them being able to get under the Forth Bridge to Rosyth (getting the RN carrier Queen Elizabeth under took massive planning). The current Prinsendam has to fold her mast down to get under. Rosyth is also tidal, which can make stores etc difficult to load. Fred and Phoenix Reisen are just about the largest that can safely and comfortably use Rosyth either as a turnaround or a transit. Leith is restricted by the dimensions of the locks and by around 50,000t. That said, the cruise season at Leith consists of approximately 2/3rds turnarounds from the small boutique Corinthian to Azamara Journey / Quest.

The anchorages at South Queensferry and Newhaven Harbour are just that, and are suitable for the larger ships wishing to stay up to 48 hours on a transit basis.

Liverpool can take big ships on a "port of call" basis (have had the QM2 in a number of times), but does not have the facilities to "turn around" a big ship. There were a couple of Cunard cruises a few years ago when one of the Cunards had a partial turn around during a one week British Isles cruise from Southampton (making two mini cruises to and from Liverpool from Southampton), but I was told there was a tax reason why it was not done again (I think it was something to do with having to go to a non UK port e.g. Dublin and that was not easy to done on both the mini cruises).

We have got a new terminal planned out in the docks, which can take larger turnarounds - but do not know how long that will take.

Liverpool can take big ships on a "port of call" basis (have had the QM2 in a number of times), but does not have the facilities to "turn around" a big ship. There were a couple of Cunard cruises a few years ago when one of the Cunards had a partial turn around during a one week British Isles cruise from Southampton (making two mini cruises to and from Liverpool from Southampton), but I was told there was a tax reason why it was not done again (I think it was something to do with having to go to a non UK port e.g. Dublin and that was not easy to done on both the mini cruises).

We have got a new terminal planned out in the docks, which can take larger turnarounds - but do not know how long that will take.

Liverpool location not great IMO.

From Newcastle it is easy to go to Norway,the Baltics, Amsterdam etc across the North Sea.

Marella Explorer (previously RCCL Splendour of the seas) has been sailing regularly this summer from Newcastle and is bigger than Oriana so it wouldn't be a problem for Oriana to sail here.

As we live 15 minutes drive to Newcastle port I would hope Oriana new owners would locate her here.

Dont think that China who have been reported widely as the purchasers of Oriana would be interested in sailing her from Newcastle.

I don’t know about the other two ports but Rosyth sells well, as does Dundee when it is offered.

Dundee also has the new V&A opening next week so may be more attractive as a port of call or if we are lucky a port of embarkation. On the news this morning they were comparing the regeneration and the new museum to Bilbao in terms of what might come next for tourism.

They are firmly entrenched in Southampton until the green police start to campaign against pollution level in Soton is apparently pretty bad.

Iona is supposed to be more environmentally friendly so perhaps the new ships will improve the situation re the ship emission but will still increase the number of cars.

Southampton is one of 49 towns/cities that fail eu regulations on air quality. Newcastle, Liverpool etc also all fail. As does Eccles!

The Nitrous Dioxide emissions analysed in Southampton are believed to include 2.7% as a result of shipping. In rough numbers, cruise ships equate to something less than 10% of all large ship daily movements at the port, so approx. 0.3% of total emissions come directly from cruise ships. 35% comes from diesel cars.

The main local plan is to charge vans, taxis and commercial vehicles a levy to use certain central areas. It is believed that will be enough to reduce emissions to the required level. Users of older more polluting vehicles will face the biggest issues and some appear to have decided to try and blame the cruise ships for the issue. Facts do not back that opinion.

Abp southampton is creating infrastructure to power modern ships via onshore supply when docked and is planning on reducing docking fees for cleaner ships. Presumably there has also been investment in the supply of LNG.

It may actually be that the desire for cleaner air from shipping improves Southampton’s position rather than detracting from it.

A change in government subsidy for railfreight is believed to have added an additional 120,000 lorry journeys into/out of the city. Apparently they aren’t planning on fixing that one......

Southampton is one of 49 towns/cities that fail eu regulations on air quality. Newcastle, Liverpool etc also all fail. As does Eccles!

The Nitrous Dioxide emissions analysed in Southampton are believed to include 2.7% as a result of shipping. In rough numbers, cruise ships equate to something less than 10% of all large ship daily movements at the port, so approx. 0.3% of total emissions come directly from cruise ships. 35% comes from diesel cars.

The main local plan is to charge vans, taxis and commercial vehicles a levy to use certain central areas. It is believed that will be enough to reduce emissions to the required level. Users of older more polluting vehicles will face the biggest issues and some appear to have decided to try and blame the cruise ships for the issue. Facts do not back that opinion.

Abp southampton is creating infrastructure to power modern ships via onshore supply when docked and is planning on reducing docking fees for cleaner ships. Presumably there has also been investment in the supply of LNG.

It may actually be that the desire for cleaner air from shipping improves Southampton’s position rather than detracting from it.

A change in government subsidy for railfreight is believed to have added an additional 120,000 lorry journeys into/out of the city. Apparently they aren’t planning on fixing that one......

That’s really interesting, thanks.