Cruising after Brexit.

emam

I really dont get the posts from various members about having this post shut down or not to keep posting if your post does not agree with some others' views. 

It is one thread on a large forum.  There are plenty of other threads.  If you are not interested or if other people's views or opinions offend you so much why not just scroll on past and not open this particular thread at all.

Things may turn out fine.   Things may turn out not so fine.  We dont know yet.  But only one side of the debate is acceptable?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yep, you're right, my mistake, but even so, we had no problem entering Russia and other places like Egypt in the Med.  We go to loads of places that aren't in the EU - no problem at all.

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have cruised to Kusadasi Turkey,Dubai,Oman,Abu Dhabi,USA and At Petersburg Russia without any problems.

You’re both still missing or choosing to miss the central point in all this.  You’re talking about the past, when we were members of the EU, with all the benefits of the EU treaties which applied to us. If we crash out, which seems increasingly likely, we shall lose all those treaties, and we don’t have any of our own to replace them.

We also lose all the benefits of the EHIC card and all the health benefits that brings.

It’s incredible that so many people still fail to understand just what serious impacts this will have.

Which is why the government has been forced to pay £14m to a shipping company with no ships as part of the emergency planning!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, docco said:

You’re both still missing or choosing to miss the central point in all this.  You’re talking about the past, when we were members of the EU, with all the benefits of the EU treaties which applied to us. If we crash out, which seems increasingly likely, we shall lose all those treaties, and we don’t have any of our own to replace them.

We also lose all the benefits of the EHIC card and all the health benefits that brings.

It’s incredible that so many people still fail to understand just what serious impacts this will have.

Which is why the government has been forced to pay £14m to a shipping company with no ships as part of the emergency planning!

The problem lies with a pro remain government that has created this mess.

• Like 1

Docco,  I have just read that BBC news report about the contract awarded to a ferry company with no ships!!!  It would be really funny, if only it wasnt so serious.

We've cruised to all the places mentioned by the posters above over the last 30+ years, with few problems - probably due to the arrangements we have through the EU. 

Unfortunately people cannot seem to grasp the things the EU have enabled us to do, take for granted now, and cannot appreciate how things could change without these.  Things have changed, times have changed.  The world has changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I remember cruising before the EU *.  I remember the queues.  I remember being interviewed about the amount of sterling being taken out of the country.    Yes, we survived.  But we have got used to the way things are now - I dont want to just survive.

Edited by qm2lover
Add *1965
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Am I right in thinking that we all survived before we joined the EU and had to show passports etc etc. I am more than happy to stand in a line for 5 minutes extra or more ….

Indeed we did. But at that time the UK had its own agreements in place with countries across the world.

Then we joined the EU, or rather its forerunners, and the pan-European agreements replaced them all.

If we leave without a deal we have nothing in place. The EU agreements currently covering us will have gone - and there is nothing in their place.

Result? Chaos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The problem lies with a pro remain government that has created this mess.

No. The problem lies with the false premise put about by Leave that we could easily do a deal with the EU.

That was always a ludicrous notion because, as they’ve conclusively proved, the EU holds all the cards. Our negotiating position was always infinitely weaker, whatever the Express and Mail might have you believe.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost and people are playing the blame game. It always was an unwinnable situation and one day Johnson and Gove will pay a political price for all their lies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, docco said:

I think the recent no deal proposals by the EU will probably cover most of the short term chaos concerns, and surely EHIC benefits is an oxymoron!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

Do you think it would be of any benefit to have both an EU passport and a UK passport? I have dual citizenship so could have both. My cruise is at the end of June leaving from Southampton.

How long does it take to get a UK passport?

I'm no expert on dual citizenship, but it's a great thing to have!  A new UK passport should take around 6 weeks at the moment, so plenty of time.

Your Irish passport is going to be a lot more valuable to you than the UK one though (as an EU citizen) and I'm not sure what additional benefits the UK one might bring.

Wise Brits are already trying to get EU citizenship if they possibly can - I doubt many will be wanting to go the other way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the recent no deal proposals by the EU will probably cover most of the short term chaos concerns, and surely EHIC benefits is an oxymoron!

The EU plans will - unsurprisingly - be aimed at preventing problems within the EU.  They're not intended to help us, and I doubt they will.

EHIC benefits an oxymoron?  Why do you say that?

• Like 1

To be honest I think that our views of any issues after Brexit will be shaped by our views on Brexit and the way we all voted.

I would very much love to share my views on the matter as I have strong feelings about it (like many of you), but let's not get in to that debate.

Personally, we have planned ahead for our holidays in 2019 (booking with Celebrity our pre stay hotel, transfers and flights rather than as a DIY) and will just watch what happens as we will be covered.

In 2020 -- who knows ---- P&O have a promise of some sort --- the worst that can happen is that we have to holiday in the UK --- and there are some beautiful places to see and UK cruises to take if needs be.

Edited by Presto2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I have two cruises booked for 2020 and two for 2019.  One in April and one in October.  I am not worried about any of them.

I agree with you I can't see many problems especially in the short time up till December 2020.

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have two cruises booked for 2020 and two for 2019.  One in April and one in October.  I am not worried about any of them.

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with you I can't see many problems especially in the short time up till December 2020.

I wish I shared your confidence, but since we leave the EU on 29 March and lose (if it's no deal) all our existing international arrangements on that date, with no replacements in place, that's when it will all start.  And that's precisely why the government having to make emergency food and medical supply arrangements to take effect from that date also.

I'm crossing my fingers for a deal, which will save the day (and our cruise!) but politicians are far more interested in saving their seats than they are saving the country, so I'm not optimistic at the prospects.  Who could be, given the current mess?

• Like 1

We have more than 2 cruises booked for both 2019 and 2020.  I am concerned and worried.  But having cruised so much we are now perfectly content to stay on the ship rather than experience any inconvenience, although visas may be required just to board the ship in Southampton.  When I was younger I would not have been so content.  I cannot see the 'younger generations' being content to accept the limitations and restrictions being enforced of them, nor the loss of benefits which we now take for granted.

49 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

Docco is Southern Irish at a guess his avatar is a Cork registered boat might explain a lot fellow brexiteers #worried

Sorry to disappoint but I’ve no connections with Ireland at all, apart from a holiday and a couple of cruises. Lovely place though, and lovely people. 🙂

2 hours ago, docco said:

The EU plans will - unsurprisingly - be aimed at preventing problems within the EU.  They're not intended to help us, and I doubt they will.

The EU plans rely heavily on reciprocation from us, so they will certainly ease most of the problems you outline.

EHIC benefits an oxymoron?  Why do you say that?

If ever you need to use one I do hope you have travel insurance as well, without it we would have been stuck when my wife needed hospital treatment.

...............and most UK citizens with holiday homes in Spain would never rely on the EHIC alone to provide them with anything other than very basic and rudimentary health care.

19 hours ago, docco said:

The optimistic views expressed are touching, and I hope correct, but do remind me a lot of all the assurances we had from all the Leave Liars such as Johnson, Gove and Co before and after the referendum.

Remember how easy it was going to be to reach an agreement with the EU? How they’d be falling over themselves to do a deal? How desperate they’d be to keep our trade?

Now Leavers are telling us it’s all going to be fine if we crash out without a deal. So that’s why we’re having to spend billions preparing for food shortages, medical shortages, transport problems is it?

I seem to remember a lot of lies being told by remainers. I'm still waiting for a market crash, millions unemployed, even WWIII and a plague of locusts. There has clearly been exaggeration on both sides, but I still think we are being over pessimistic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

...............and most UK citizens with holiday homes in Spain would never rely on the EHIC alone to provide them with anything other than very basic and rudimentary health care.

Unfortunately those providing holiday insurance are not taking the same view. We just renewed our annual insurance and it has risen quite considerably.  No other factors  have changed (except of course one year older but that is not moving us into a different age bracket).

Now this could just be the usual with insurers using anything to increase prices however the EHIC must have reduced some costs?

14 hours ago, kerryincork said:

Do you think it would be of any benefit to have both an EU passport and a UK passport? I have dual citizenship so could have both. My cruise is at the end of June leaving from Southampton.

How long does it take to get a UK passport?

I have read today that applications from UK residents with eligibilty for EU passports via their Irish Ancestry has increased significantly over the last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/31/record-number-of-britons-seeking-irish-passports-ahead-of-brexit

Edited by bee-ess

3 hours ago, dorsetlad said:

I seem to remember a lot of lies being told by remainers. I'm still waiting for a market crash, millions unemployed, even WWIII and a plague of locusts. There has clearly been exaggeration on both sides, but I still think we are being over pessimistic.

Think a lot of lies were told by both sides and that is why we are in the mess we are in  now because nobody really knew what they were voting on and individual politicians of all sides are putting their own spin to enhance their own beliefs and by saying they knew what people were voting for when nobody really knows. Think the big red bus was the biggest lie.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Unfortunately those providing holiday insurance are not taking the same view. We just renewed our annual insurance and it has risen quite considerably.  No other factors  have changed (except of course one year older but that is not moving us into a different age bracket).

Now this could just be the usual with insurers using anything to increase prices however the EHIC must have reduced some costs?

I have just taken out annual travel insurance and it was a lot less than with another company, so again, I see no problem.  My previous insurer was a reasonable price, but this one is better.  So I don't see an insurance hike at all.  Particularly as we have a few medical things to declarle.

Edited by jeanlyon