Zuiderdam turns round to search for person overboard from another ship

Turtles06

The Captain has just given us an update (2:20 pm): the refueled aircraft are back, and other search and rescue vessels are on the way. He expects to see the latter in 60-90 minutes. We have not been released from the search by the Canadian Coast Guard, and are continuing to follow the grid.

The Captain also announced that we are increasingly unlikely to call at St. John’s (though that is the least of it as far as I’m concerned).

Translated from the initial link supplied by poster Flensburg:

Der Sänger und frühere TV-Star Daniel Küblböck ist nach Angaben der Reederei Aida Cruises am frühen Morgen bei einer Kreuzfahrt nach Neufundland über Bord gegangen und wird seither vermisst. Es gebe Grund zur Annahme, dass Küblböck gesprungen sei, sagte ein Sprecher der Deutschen Presse-Agentur am Sonntag.

Das Kreuzfahrtschiff Aidaluna sei an die mutmaßliche Unglücksstelle zurückgekehrt. Die Küstenwache suche ebenfalls mit Flugzeugen und Hubschraubern nach dem 33-Jährigen. Bei Küblböcks Management war zunächst niemand erreichbar. Daniels Vater Günther Küblböck sagte der "Bild"-Zeitung: „Ich klammere mich jetzt nur an die Hoffnung, dass irgendwie doch noch alles gut wird!“

The singer and former TV star Daniel Küblböck has gone overboard, according to the shipping company Aida Cruises in the early morning on a cruise to Newfoundland and has been missing since then. There was reason to believe that Küblböck had jumped according to a spokesman for the German Press Agency on Sunday.The cruise ship Aidaluna has returned to the alleged accident site. The (Canadian) Coast Guard is also searching with fixed wing airplanes and helicopters for the 33-year-old. At Küblböck's management company, nobody was reachable at first. Daniel's father Günther Küblböck told the "Bild" newspaper: "I only cling to the hope that somehow everything will be fine!"

The Captain has just given us an update (2:20 pm): the refueled aircraft are back, and other search and rescue vessels are on the way. He expects to see the latter in 60-90 minutes. We have not been released from the search by the Canadian Coast Guard, and are continuing to follow the grid.

The Captain also announced that we are increasingly unlikely to call at St. John’s (though that is the least of it as far as I’m concerned).

At 2:20 PM - recalling earlier post of roughly 6:30 AM time for Zuiderdam to head for search area, we are looking at about 8+ hours. The waters have to be pretty chilly there - survival time in 50-60 degree water is estimated at up to six hours - things do not look good for successful rescue this far along.

Captain just announced at 330 that the Coast Guard has released us from further searching. Suspect the AIDALuna will remain, along with the aerial crew and another two vessels who are reportedly on their way to the area. We will be skipping our call on St John’s and going directly to Halifax, arriving on schedule on Tuesday as there were no alternate ports for us to visit along the way tomorrow that would get us to Halifax on schedule. This is now the third port we’ve missed on this cruise, the other two due to weather in and around Iceland, but as the saying goes “It is what it is.”

Will be a miracle if they find his body - feel so bad for his family and friends. RIP.

According to Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjJ54P2ka_dAhXhhlQKHfryC_kQFjAHegQICxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDaniel_K%25C3%25BCblb%25C3%25B6ck&usg=AOvVaw2uoDh6eCg8KGi6m-vC0P9Y

3rd paragraph down:

Disappearance 2018

Küblböck was reported missing on 9 September 2018. He was attending an AIDA cruise on the AIDAluna from Hamburg to New York City. He was wearing women's clothing all the time. According to AIDA, a passenger was reported going overboard at 6 in the morning. German tabloid Bild reported that an eyewitness saw someone jump from deck 5 of the ship. Therefore, the Canadian coast guard started a search operation, with the MS Zuiderdam on site and assisting.

Joanie

Turtles - This is very sad news. I am sorry this put a damper on your cruise. Y'all sure have had tough luck this cruise. :fever:

Our mutual friends were supposed to get off on St. John's and fly home early. I wonder if they will now just stay on until you reach Brooklyn???

Turtles - This is very sad news. I am sorry this put a damper on your cruise. Y'all sure have had tough luck this cruise. :fever:

Our mutual friends were supposed to get off on St. John's and fly home early. I wonder if they will now just stay on until you reach Brooklyn???

They told me yesterday that would be their plan if we had to cancel St. John’s, as they still have plane tickets home from NY.

According to Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjJ54P2ka_dAhXhhlQKHfryC_kQFjAHegQICxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDaniel_K%25C3%25BCblb%25C3%25B6ck&usg=AOvVaw2uoDh6eCg8KGi6m-vC0P9Y

3rd paragraph down:

Disappearance 2018

Küblböck was reported missing on 9 September 2018. He was attending an AIDA cruise on the AIDAluna from Hamburg to New York City. He was wearing women's clothing all the time. According to AIDA, a passenger was reported going overboard at 6 in the morning. German tabloid Bild reported that an eyewitness saw someone jump from deck 5 of the ship. Therefore, the Canadian coast guard started a search operation, with the MS Zuiderdam on site and assisting.

Joanie

Thank you for this information Joanie.

The Captain has just announced (3:30pm) that Canadian search and rescue vessels are on the scene, and that we have been released from the search. He offered his thoughts and prayers to the person’s family and friends, as do I.

So sad <|3 Prayers for him and his famly and friends.

I am sure this sad event has had a huge impact on you and everyone on board. Thank you for taking the time & $ and sharing the events with us.

They told me yesterday that would be their plan if we had to cancel St. John’s, as they still have plane tickets home from NY.

(y)

Thank you for the information. :) I hope they were not ready to get off and can enjoy the next few days. Give them our best! :cool::cool: