Ocean Medallion on Regal Princess

skennedy25

So if one person takes two Medallions in order to get two coffees at the IC, then the person remaining in the cabin can be left in the dark in the shower with no AC.

I think some of us are beginning to guess about of the possible features of the ***** system.

I'm sure they could incorporate many of them but the number of problems it would generate probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

9 minutes ago, skennedy25 said:

any updates after over a week of hving no forum

i just got back from the regal. no progress. Still a very very limited cabins have the ocean medallion. My cabin did not had the fancy ipad like door lock or anything like that. 

The only thing i noticed, at the gift shop. you do not need to swipe your card for a purchase. you place it on top of the reader until it turns green. 

Edited by shof515

Thanks!   Which sailing were you on?

I am hoping that it is full speed at getting this going again, now that the Regal will be sailing from FLL again.  Seems it was put on hold when the Regal was in Northern Europe, while they were trying to get a handle on the glitches.

We will be sailing later this year.  I believe our cabin is one of those that is already outfitted for the Medallion..

Edited by Wishing on a star

3 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i'm curious if wifi is free since, to this day, there's no option to buy internet before my trip next week

platinum or elite - maybe/prolly

you know enough that the inTERnet prices are in complete flux on the ships that have installed medallion.net/princess connect

and tier pricing based on speed, mbs or whatever that stuff is...

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

i just got back from the regal. no progress. Still a very very limited cabins have the ocean medallion. My cabin did not had the fancy ipad like door lock or anything like that. 

The only thing i noticed, at the gift shop. you do not need to swipe your card for a purchase. you place it on top of the reader until it turns green. 

Which deck were you on?  I wonder if they were working on the higher decks from Lido deck down to 8

Just now, skennedy25 said:

Thank you.  How was the overall speed of the internet if you used it.

never used it. since it was a canada/new england cruise. i mostly use my cellular service for internet ports in most of the ports 

I just got off of the Caribbean Princess last week and many of the Ocean Medallion techs were heading for the Regal once it returned to the USA. 

It was working pretty good on the CP and I was even able to test out Ocean Now on both an Android and Apple OS. They didn't have Ocean Now available for the entire ship, but it worked in all the clubs I tried it in as well as at the International Cafe.

The only app they still hadn't released was Ocean Compass.

I just noticed today that Ocean Ready looks different than it did just a few weeks ago. I guess they are constantly refining it.

Ocean Compass has been down for awhile now. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ocean-faq/

Edited by drpack

17 minutes ago, Cruisin'Rabbit said:

I read that mail boxes were removed on Caribbean Princess, when Ocean Medallion was installed.  Will this also happen on the Regal?  Will mail boxes be removed?

Sometimes things change along the way, sometimes they don't. I doubt very seriously whether anybody outside of the people who are actually responsible for making such decisions could give the answer to that, and I doubt that any of those people are on cruise critic.

Tom

19 minutes ago, Cruisin'Rabbit said:

I read that mail boxes were removed on Caribbean Princess, when Ocean Medallion was installed.  Will this also happen on the Regal?  Will mail boxes be removed?

AIUI, yes.

The replacement screens have near-field electronics in them to be "Plan 'B'" if the regular sensors for the Medallion don't unlock the door.

We just got off the Regal last Saturday, Oct. 13.  On Baja deck, our friends with whom we cruised, had a Medallion cabin,  Baja 303. A little fewer than 20 cabins surrounding them were also Medallion cabins. 

The mailboxes had been removed, and there was a touch screen outside the cabin door. When you approach the touch screen with the Medallion, the door unlocks.

Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members on this cruise were provided with free internet for the week.  We're not that high up in Captain's Circle, so we paid $59.00 for unlimited internet for the week.  That was the only offer available.

The internet service seemed to be very fast,  the same as our cable modem provides at home. ( I did not measure the exact speed).  It was off and on temporarily for a couple days, but most of the time it was on and working well.  It was not necessary to leave the cabin door open in order to receive an internet connection.

( We were on the Emerald last year, and it was necessary to either leave the cabin door open or take our laptop/ phone down to decks 5, 6, or 7 in order to get a connection. That was the advice given to us by the crew members in the internet cafe). 

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on Regal in a little over 3 weeks. I was bummed to see that Ocean Medalion was not completely done as of yet because when we booked (well over a year ago) it was to be complete by the end of 2017, and here we are almost at the tail end of 2018! I know that there is always snags and such when it comes to implementing these kinds of things, but this was grossly miscalculated. Either way, it isn't going to affect our cruise any, but I'll be happy to report back any status we find out when we return from our sailing.

44 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

We are sailing on Regal in a little over 3 weeks. I was bummed to see that Ocean Medalion was not completely done as of yet because when we booked (well over a year ago) it was to be complete by the end of 2017, and here we are almost at the tail end of 2018! I know that there is always snags and such when it comes to implementing these kinds of things, but this was grossly miscalculated. Either way, it isn't going to affect our cruise any, but I'll be happy to report back any status we find out when we return from our sailing.

I'll be interested in your experiences upon your return, but remember the First Law of Project Management:

"The first half of any project consumes 90% of the predicted time.   The second half, the other 90%"

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2018 at 3:53 PM, Haboob said:

I'll be interested in your experiences upon your return, but remember the First Law of Project Management:

"The first half of any project consumes 90% of the predicted time.   The second half, the other 90%"

Depends on how you manage the project. I'm actually in commercial real estate and project management when it comes to construction! 😉

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, MrsKC08 said:

at least if you're platinum or elite, you 'should' get free unlimited medallion.net (internet) for the entire cruise

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

at least if you're platinum or elite, you 'should' get free unlimited medallion.net (internet) for the entire cruise

We aren't, and quite frankly we don't care about the internet this cruise. We are putting our phones into the safe after sail-away and just enjoying the week unplugged!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, caribill said:

According to another thread, the free unlimited Internet will have ended.

We are on the Regal now.  Received a notice in our cabin that free unlimited internet ends after this cruise on Nov 11.  Back to usual free minutes

Hank