Arriving day of cruise

janiss815

I'm a retired airline pilot. I will never fly in the day of the cruise, especially if there isn't back up options. I could tell you to many stories about how many times delays and cancellations have made people miss cruises.

Agree 1000%. DH was a MAINTENANCE MANAGER for a major airline and I can't tell you how many times mechanicals caused grounded flights. Again Mother Nature rears her ugly head and causes many flights to be cancelled for days...FLORENCE.

I would not risk missing a cruise because of only one flight on day ship sails.

Many years ago (1991) we were sailing on the old RCCL Song of Norway out of San Juan. We flew in on the day of the cruise out of Dallas. We were scheduled to arrive at 1:00 p.m ish.. It was about a 2.5 hour flight. Well we were all boarded and in line to taxi when the pilot informed us we had a problem No brakes!!!!! Over three hours later we began the boarding process again after prayerfully fixed breaks. Many on our flight missed their San Juan connections . Had we not had a 10p.m. sailing we would have missed the boat. We boarded at 6:15 p.m. Never again have we arrived to the embarkation city the day of the cruise. Lesson learned.There are just too many things that can go wrong.

Back in 2009 we cruised out of Baltimore, about 1.5 hrs. flying time from where we live so what could go wrong??

HA! As luck would have it our very early AM flight was canceled due to mechanical issues and the next flight was not until 1.30 PM.

Long story short: we made it to the ship by the hair of our teeth. (sail time was around 3.30 or 4.00PM I believe)

That taught us a lesson...if it all possible...we now fly in the day before.

We have a friend just off Rhapsody this morning. He booked flights thru choice air. Flew out last week to arrive (overnight) the day of.

He flew Amarillo to Dallas where he encountered a 3 hour mechanical delay. Then on to Philly in time to make connecting flight. However it was delayed 3 hours for weather.

Needless to say he missed the ship. Airline put 50 people up in hotel overnight. Back to airport the following day & flew out on overnight Saturday.

No airport at first 2 port stops. So I believe they transferred by ferry/boat to 3rd island which I believe ended up being the 4th day of the 7 day cruise out of Venice and one of the remaining was a sea day.

He posted on FB last night that the saga continues. His scheduled flight home today (Venice/Philly/Dallas/Amarillo) was cancelled. Reschedule this afternoon to Ven/Orlando/DFW/Amarillo.

After all the planning he traveled many, many hours for a 3.5 day cruise. Luckily he had choice air to get him to the ship (eventually) and bought insurance which should reimburse him for the trip delay.

We flew 1x in 19 cruises on the day of and said never again. It just wasn’t worth the anxiety and stress. We now just build in the extra travel day or 2 and see the local sights before our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ALWAYS fly in a day earlier.

Now that that is out of the way, we were in exactly the same scenario as you, last year. We had a Sunday departure and we do NOT fly on Saturday for religious reasons, so it was either Friday or Sunday. Since San Juan is not one of our favorite places we decided to fly in on Sunday. I'm not sure which airline we used, but it was also an early AM flight, NON STOP,. arriving in San Juan around noon. Again, like yourself, we had an 8PM departure and we said, why not. Everything went great, we got our bags and taxi over to the terminal. Lot's of cars going to the terminal but we were on board by 2:30.

As has been said, if it is a non stop flight, do it.

Cheers

Len

I thought the reason the cruiseship leaves late is to save fuel, since all those islands are so close together it takes little to no time to get to the next port the following day.

It's only 75 miles from San Juan to St. Thomas

Where did you get that info? Doesn't RCI pay for the total time a ship is docked at port?

Ships leaving from Seward Alaska leave very late also.

Hi everyone, we will be on Freedom sailing from San Juan in April 2019. Flights to SJU has gotten so expensive. Considering flying in the day of cruise arriving around noon (direct flight from NYC). I normally wouldn’t do this but since the cruise doesn’t depart til 8pm this seems ok to me. A part of me is hesitating though. Anyone with experience doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done non stop flights from JFK to SJU on the day of sailing 3x's. I did book the first flight out each time and we always arrived before boarding time.

We generally fly in the day before but due to circumstances have also flown in same day. The last time we did that one of our bags did not make in on the flight. Unfortunately the next flight got in too late to make it to the port. We didn't see that bag until 10 days after our cruise.

Not only is there the concern of you making it to the ship there's also the issue of whether your luggage will make it.

OP- what are your travel dates? If you want help searching, I love that stuff. Always help friends and family.

Alternatively, it is still pretty early in terms of flights. You could take a way and see approach.

We are on April 21-28 FOTS. Have been wondering if the wait and see approach will bite me later. The most important part is getting back on the 28th as kids have school the next day.

We generally fly in the day before but due to circumstances have also flown in same day. The last time we did that one of our bags did not make in on the flight. Unfortunately the next flight got in too late to make it to the port. We didn't see that bag until 10 days after our cruise.

Not only is there the concern of you making it to the ship there's also the issue of whether your luggage will make it.

The only time I have had luggage problems was me flying in the day of to San Juan. Seems my luggage didn't make it on the flight but they put it on the next plane and I received them one hour before the ship sailed. Thankfully it was a 8pm sailing but after that ordeal I said never again would I fly in the day of. Back then I didn't do travel insurance but now I don't travel without it just in case anything happens.

Many years ago (1991) we were sailing on the old RCCL Song of Norway out of San Juan. We flew in on the day of the cruise out of Dallas. We were scheduled to arrive at 1:00 p.m ish.. It was about a 2.5 hour flight. Well we were all boarded and in line to taxi when the pilot informed us we had a problem No brakes!!!!! Over three hours later we began the boarding process again after prayerfully fixed breaks. Many on our flight missed their San Juan connections . Had we not had a 10p.m. sailing we would have missed the boat. We boarded at 6:15 p.m. Never again have we arrived to the embarkation city the day of the cruise. Lesson learned.There are just too many things that can go wrong.

Agree. First time I decided was time start flying in day ahead was good thing. While getting ready take off plane slipped off runway and we were stuck for hrs. Got to Miami after 8pm, would have missed our ship if wasn't day before. From 2016-17 3 had plane issues 3 times. Flying over Kansas had crack in Windshield, had to land in Chicago to change planes. Had flat tire in another and Toilets didn't work on third. All had wait for new plane to arrive. Then Son In Law flew in day ahead, good thing as someone took his Luggage home. They met up next day to get it back before the cruise..

I have done non stop flights from JFK to SJU on the day of sailing 3x's. I did book the first flight out each time and we always arrived before boarding time.

Mike

Mike what has been your experience with jet blue, I could fly Non Stop from PSP to JFK then unto SJU but never flown JB, Thank You

Have you checked flying from another near-by airport?

That worked for us.

We live in Philly but we are flying out of Baltimore. Got R/T tix on Southwest for $244pp and they are direct flights.

Bought them the day they opened up bookings for our dates.

I would go the same day if I could get an early flight that is nonstop but my nerves would be frayed until I got there.

Bill

Mike

Mike what has been your experience with jet blue, I could fly Non Stop from PSP to JFK then unto SJU but never flown JB, Thank You

I have traveled with JetBlue since they started. We fly several times a year to Florida to visit family. My wife has flown last minute twice in the last month to visit her mother who was in the hospital and they had excellent last minute rates. They don't fleece you like other airlines. There was only one time in I guess 18yrs of traveling with them that my flight was delayed due to the incoming flight being late due to weather. JFK is the hub so if there is a circumstance that comes up it is very easy for them to assign another plane for that flight. JetBlue has been the least expensive choice among Delta, Spirit, and Southwest for flights that we needed to book. Their service is excellent and they also have a good on time record. We were scheduled for a trip to Florida and my wife was hospitalized at the last minute. I called the week before the flight and they refunded the round trip tickets without any cancelation charges. I was issued a credit for the full amount. I had to book a flight, not take the flight with in one year of the cancelation. I asked if they needed any documentation that my wife was in the hospital and the rep said that it wasn't necessary. I don't know if this is their practice or something they did for us since we are good customers and have never canceled before. The seats are comfortable, the planes are clean and the flight attendants are friendly and helpful. I highly recommend them.

I forgot to mention that JetBlue does not keep planes for a long period of time like other airlines do. They sell them off and replace them. This is probably the reason that I was never delayed due to mechanical issues. Someone mentioned they were delayed because of brakes. Brakes! If they aren't checking the brakes regularly what else aren't they maintaining? I have had miner mechanical issues on American twice. I was flying for business both times so I didn't have a choice of what carrier I could fly.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I thought the reason the cruiseship leaves late is to save fuel, since all those islands are so close together it takes little to no time to get to the next port the following day.

It's only 75 miles from San Juan to St. Thomas

If you are on a southern Itinerary The Islands aren't that close. The cruise lines that sail to places like Barbados or Aruba leave from San Juan for 7 day itineraries.

I checked several alternatives, like LAX to SJU and by the time I pay the shuttle up & back or even a 1 way ticket over out of LAX then back to Palm Springs, Ca, it is far easier & less costly to fly from Palm Springs and back. My best route right now is PSP non stop to EWR to SJU and back on united or with Jet Blue over PSP to JFK non stop & back through JFK or EWR with United.

I checked several alternatives, like LAX to SJU and by the time I pay the shuttle up & back or even a 1 way ticket over out of LAX then back to Palm Springs, Ca, it is far easier & less costly to fly from Palm Springs and back. My best route right now is PSP non stop to EWR to SJU and back on united or with Jet Blue over PSP to JFK non stop & back through JFK or EWR with United.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion trying to depart from “nearby” airports - the few bucks saved on airfare is not enough to make up additional costs from transfers/driving to another city. Incidentally I am also looking at either United or Jet Blue from EWR to SJU. From my past experience with they are both decent airlines.

I have never flown Jet Blue but the past two yeas they are flying Non Stop flights between JFK & Palm Springs, Ca ( PSP ) I actually have two choices. 1. PSP connect in Denver and go out with the daughter through Newark then SJU or 2. Non Stop to Newark, meet up with daughter who comes out of Denver then over ). Coming home I would do SJU to EWR to PSP, arriving after 10 PM. While LAX maybe cheaper on the flights, the cost of the shuttle or car rental to LAX, eats up the difference to fly out of my home INTL airport. Checked 1 way each flights and still come out better overall from PSP

I’m to much of a nervous nelly to fly in the day of the cruise but the experience we had just flying to San Juan in June would make me definitely fly in a day early.

We were headed to San Juan non-stop from Boston, we had an 8:00am flight. Once we boarded the plane they announced that they had to reboot the computer systems (In my mind better done while on the ground than in the air). By the time that was done it was 8:45, we finally take off.

About an hour into the flight they announce we have a medical emergency on board, the flight crew kept us updated over the next hour and a half, but at this point we feel the plane turning. A few minutes later they tell us we are diverting to Bermuda to get the passenger and family to the hospital. We land in Bermuda, they get the passenger and family on their way to the hospital, now we are going to refuel, then there is a paperwork issue, total time on the ground in Bermuda better than 2 hours ( keep in mind I am not complaining the JetBlue folks did a great job, including crew members who just happened to be traveling on this flight, the team work was awesome to see).

Long story short we did not arrive in San Juan until almost 4:00pm and then because we “stopped” in a foreign country we had to go through customs, even though we were not allowed off the plane!

Moral of the story is you just never know what can happen, we expected to be in San Juan at 11:45am but didn’t arrive until 4:00

Sent from my iPad using Forums