Arriving day of cruise

janiss815

Hi everyone, we will be on Freedom sailing from San Juan in April 2019. Flights to SJU has gotten so expensive. Considering flying in the day of cruise arriving around noon (direct flight from NYC). I normally wouldn’t do this but since the cruise doesn’t depart til 8pm this seems ok to me. A part of me is hesitating though. Anyone with experience doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone, we will be on Freedom sailing from San Juan in April 2019. Flights to SJU has gotten so expensive. Considering flying in the day of cruise arriving around noon (direct flight from NYC). I normally wouldn’t do this but since the cruise doesn’t depart til 8pm this seems ok to me. A part of me is hesitating though. Anyone with experience doing this?

I kind of feel the same way about this that I do trip insurance - always go in day before and always have trip insurance. We don’t cruise any other way. One small airplane mechanical or crew issue and you could miss your cruise. If later flights are booked full, you may not get there for days. Just not worth the stress or the risk.

We flew to SJ in May Southwest out of Newark, connection in FLL same day. The cruise was so inexpensive that gambling by going the same day was worth the net loss had we missed it. I will say though, it was very stressful!!! Have a great time!

I would only consider that flight if it is non-stop and there are later non-stop flights on the same airline that will still get you to the ship in time.

It is nonstop but I don’t see a later flight that would get us there before the cruise departs.

Yep, For those of us who cant fly in a day early it can be a bit stressful. But its just something we have to do. Worked out so far. Wish we had that luxury. When we are finally able to retire we will. Will do it again in Feb. And we always get insurance.

If you are getting to SJ around noon, you will probably be okay. If your plane leaves NY at noon, I wouldn’t risk it. I have cruised from SJ many times. I have flown in the day of embarkation a couple of times, but it always makes me nervous. If it is matter of going or not going I would risk it, buy trip insurance, and go the day of. I like to go at least a day ahead, especially if it is during the winter months and winter weather is possible. At least you are going in April when bad weather is not likely. Two days ahead is what I have been doing lately. It makes it feel so much more like a relaxing vacation!

For our upcoming cruise on the Freedom, and living on the West Coast, only flights I can book and get in around 1 or 2 PM the next day are evening flights out of PSP ( Palm Springs ). I leave around 6 PM, connect in Newark. I plan to arrive 2 days before our cruise since it will be our first time in SJU. Other times we would be getting in after 9 PM. I also can go PSP Non Stop to JFK and in. While I would not come in th same day, your flying Non Stop would be the only way I would chance it.

Back when we didn’t know any better, we flew to SJ same day and even had a change of planes in Charlotte. Weather was perfect and we thought we had the perfect schedule since our connecting flight had only an hour wait. As we start backing out of the gate in our originating city on time, we suddenly stop and head back in. The captain comes on and says maintenance has to check a warning light. Stress level immediate goes sky high as we’re sure we will miss our connecting flight. Luckily the delay was just a few minutes and we made it...but never again.

Most answers will be "always fly in day before"...but though I may have just been lucky all this time, we have always flown in day of when in and out of SJ. Have never had a problem with that. Hubs not fond of motels (too many in his past life as a working stiff ;)).

We take the earliest possible flight, always a non stop, and usually getting in around noon. We are on the ship two hours later. I am a little more confident since indeed the ship does not leave until 8 pm.

The reason the cruise leaves so late is to handle passengers flying in the same day. While San Juan has a huge amount of hotel space it probably couldn't handle all the passengers from several ships for overnight. As Desert Cruizers said, if you are not flying from the east coast you have to come in a day early (unless you like the redeye).

Our flights have been late several times but if you have insurance you will be fine. Consider booking Air2Sea so if plane is late they will get you to the next port. We have also seen as many as 100 people boarding in St Thomas from late planes.

The reason the cruise leaves so late is to handle passengers flying in the same day. While San Juan has a huge amount of hotel space it probably couldn't handle all the passengers from several ships for overnight. As Desert Cruizers said, if you are not flying from the east coast you have to come in a day early (unless you like the redeye).

Our flights have been late several times but if you have insurance you will be fine. Consider booking Air2Sea so if plane is late they will get you to the next port. We have also seen as many as 100 people boarding in St Thomas from late planes.

I thought the reason the cruiseship leaves late is to save fuel, since all those islands are so close together it takes little to no time to get to the next port the following day.

It's only 75 miles from San Juan to St. Thomas

I also could leave much earlier from Calif and this could get me in around 5:30 or 6 AM the day of a cruise but I am still looking at 1 to 2 connections to SJU so wouldn't risk it. When we are able to book, the daughter & I , I will check out Air 2 Sea. Going home I can't get in before 10 PM or after to our local INTL airport in Palm Springs unless I wanted to spend an extra night in a hotel and leave early morning. Best route home is Non Stop to EWR from SJU then non stop to PSP on United

I don't have the stomach for arriving same day. I have flown extensively for business and vacation and have had way to many hiccups to trust airlines to get me there in time for my cruise. Granted, I live on the west coast so getting direct flights anywhere out east is difficult, so I guess if you are on the east coast it might take the stress level down a notch. But I understand that most working people have to limit the number of days they are away. An extra day of traveling might not be possible for some.