NCL food prepared on Shore and microwaved??

scootersdad

To each his own ideas but I certainly would not cal the food quality low. Is it Ruth Chris standards? No, but not low quality. Maybe some of the fast food, like O'SHeehans yes. I will add, I happen to like O'Sheehans, but of course it is typical pub type food and not meant to be top quality.

I put the MDR food into a similar catagory as a middle of the road chain restaurant on land.

As you said to each his own. I agree that MDR food is at best middle of the road chain food quality. I consider that low quality, I am sure others consider it high quality.

I think it's a shame that "middle of the road chain restaurant" is the quality level MDRs have sunk to. It didn't use to be that way - dining on a cruise ship used to be special.

I know the food quality is low and thinking things are mass prepared like airline meals isn't unreasonable. But, if you think of the logistics of bringing in literally thousands of prepared meals it seems to me to be very doubtful that is happening.

I believe the root cause of the low quality food is simply using low quality ingredients.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but so am I

My background is hotels, restaurants and catering services so please accept that I understand both fine dining and mass catering.

In all restaurants there can be good and bad however on the tours I have done, the food I have seen and the meals I have tasted I cannot agree with anything you have said. Anyone who has had the Dover Sole in Ocean Blue, or the sushi, or the lamb

As usual, you are confused and not understanding what you are reading.

"quality" as I used the term and taste are two very different things. I'm happy for you that you enjoy the taste of the food and find it appetizing.

Ok - so objectively define the word "quality"

You are of course entitled to your opinion but so am I

My background is hotels, restaurants and catering services so please accept that I understand both fine dining and mass catering.

In all restaurants there can be good and bad however on the tours I have done, the food I have seen and the meals I have tasted I cannot agree with anything you have said. Anyone who has had the Dover Sole in Ocean Blue, or the sushi, or the lamb

While it was never explicitly stated by the OP or myself, I've had it in my mind that this thread was about MDR food and not specialty dining. I apologize for not being explicit on that in my comments. I agree, I've had very good meals in the Speciality Restaurants. Reminiscent of the meals we all used to get in MDRs.

Ok - so objectively define the word "quality"
I don't understand the question. "quality" is a noun, you can look it up as well as I can. If you are asking me to objectively define "good" quality or "low" quality, that can not be done objectively because that is a subjective opinion. And I am not going to go any further than what I have already opined - the MDRs on mass market cruise lines serve low quality food. That doesn't mean I don't eat it, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy my cruises, it simply means that in my opinion, the meals are low quality.

Having just taken the "Behind the Scenes" tour on the Getaway, and having had family steeped in the provisions/food industry, what I saw in the coolers and the freezers were definitely NOT low quality.

While there may be a microwave somewhere on the ship, I didn't see ANY in the kitchens during our tour.

And, the MDR kitchen was the CLEANEST kitchen I've seen in ANY restaurant (or private kitchen). It was literally spotless...and yes, that includes the floor.

Does anyone know what percentage of the main courses are prepared by restaurant supply houses and then shipped to be Microwaved.

If so, which Main Course meals are prepared on-ship?

I know soups, breads, and other smaller items are made on ship; so I don't need to know that.

I started reading this thread earlier today, and haven't read all posts since this morning, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.....

Think about this..... if the meals are prepared on land (FYI ... I was a chef for years and I don't think this is/would be the case ever).......and they bring pre-cooked meals onboard to re heat, and they are going to reheat them in microwaves?

With thousands of passengers?

How many microwaves would that take? = It's not feasible.

I started reading this thread earlier today, and haven't read all posts since this morning, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.....

Think about this..... if the meals are prepared on land (FYI ... I was a chef for years and I don't think this is/would be the case ever).......and they bring pre-cooked meals onboard to re heat, and they are going to reheat them in microwaves?

With thousands of passengers?

How many microwaves would that take? = It's not feasible.

You should probably read the responses.;)

It would be large for a cruise ship. I don't know of any cruise ship that serves 1000 in one sitting. But it doesn't matter. The difference in cooking for 100 or 1000 or 4500 is simply a matter of scale.

As I am sure you are aware, ships have very limited menus. Typically 6 featured entrees and 4 classics, or thereabouts. They have a decent idea how many of each they will serve, they can do all of the same prep that a good banquet hall can. You need to get yourself invited to some better banquets. But heck, I wouldn't object to MDR food elevating to the same quality as a decent chain restaurant.

Is this how it was when you worked on a cruise ship? Which ship and when? :)

You seem to state things (in all your posts) that are accurate only if you had the hands on experience. Otherwise this is really all subjective, as you may or may not realize. :)

When I stayed in the Garden Villa on the Star we had a microwave in the bar area. I can't remember if we had one in the Garden Villa on the Pearl.

So what are you saying? Were you the source of cooking all those pre-made meals from land in the microwave?

I know the food quality is low and thinking things are mass prepared like airline meals isn't unreasonable. But, if you think of the logistics of bringing in literally thousands of prepared meals it seems to me to be very doubtful that is happening.

I believe the root cause of the low quality food is simply using low quality ingredients.

How do you know the food quality is low?

Is this how it was when you worked on a cruise ship? Which ship and when? :)

You seem to state things (in all your posts) that are accurate only if you had the hands on experience. Otherwise this is really all subjective, as you may or may not realize. :)

If you were directing this to me, I never worked on a cruise ship. Some of my statements about cooking for large number of people come from my experiences both as a consumer and from my contacts in the industry. As for it all being subjective, I've already acknowledged that - you might want to read my post #55.

How do you know the food quality is low?
I don't. what gets put in front of us (the finished product) is low quality and I suspect that is due in part becuase they start with low quality ingredients, but I don't know that to be what they start with.

Here is the thread I had previously seen on the RCCL forums about this same topic. So it could apply to other cruise lines as well.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621252&highlight=pre+packaged+food

Post #16 from this thread:

"We had lunch off the ship with some galley staff last week and were told over the past 2 months more and more of the food is coming in a semi prepared or pre-cooked vacuum sealed format. The objective is to reduced waste, cost and staff plus improve consistency across the fleet. They said as of now all baked goods are made from scratch and there is plenty of food preparations being done but things have been moving toward food assembly which looks a lot like cooking when pots are full and things being mixed and stirred. We were also told they have reduced to number of food options to be offered at lunch and dinner as a cost/waste reduction effort.

Again, only relaying what we were told and it was an unsolicited comment within a more general conversation."

Here is the thread I had previously seen on the RCCL forums about this same topic. So it could apply to other cruise lines as well.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621252&highlight=pre+packaged+food

Post #16 from this thread:

"We had lunch off the ship with some galley staff last week and were told over the past 2 months more and more of the food is coming in a semi prepared or pre-cooked vacuum sealed format. The objective is to reduced waste, cost and staff plus improve consistency across the fleet. They said as of now all baked goods are made from scratch and there is plenty of food preparations being done but things have been moving toward food assembly which looks a lot like cooking when pots are full and things being mixed and stirred. We were also told they have reduced to number of food options to be offered at lunch and dinner as a cost/waste reduction effort.

Again, only relaying what we were told and it was an unsolicited comment within a more general conversation."

It wouldn't surprise me at all if NCL is doing this, particularly with MDR and buffet food.

I don't. what gets put in front of us (the finished product) is low quality and I suspect that is due in part becuase they start with low quality ingredients, but I don't know that to be what they start with.

But that is exactly what you said - vis.-

Originally posted by PATRLR I believe the root cause of the low quality food is simply using low quality ingredients.

But that is exactly what you said - vis.-

Originally posted by PATRLR I believe the root cause of the low quality food is simply using low quality ingredients.

You really need to pay attention to the words written.

In post #65 I was asked "How do you know the food quality is low?" (emphasis added). I don't know. And that is what I said: "I don't." And I went on to reinforce the fact that I didn't know: "what gets put in front of us (the finished product) is low quality and I suspect that is due in part becuase they start with low quality ingredients, but I don't know that to be what they start with." (emphasis added)

You really need to pay attention to the words written.

In post #65 I was asked "How do you know the food quality is low?" (emphasis added). I don't know. And that is what I said: "I don't." And I went on to reinforce the fact that I didn't know: "what gets put in front of us (the finished product) is low quality and I suspect that is due in part becuase they start with low quality ingredients, but I don't know that to be what they start with." (emphasis added)

Take Beef for instance, it’s PRIME or CHOICE and neither of those are low quality

Take Beef for instance, it’s PRIME or CHOICE and neither of those are low quality

Actually...

There are plenty of lower cuts of meat, although you rarely if ever see them served in a restaurant. I don't think even cheap chains serve lower than choice as a steak or anything other than ground or stewed, braised, etc.. Its possible that NCL is buying Select or even lower cuts, but unlikely.

Actually...

There are plenty of lower cuts of meat, although you rarely if ever see them served in a restaurant. I don't think even cheap chains serve lower than choice as a steak or anything other than ground or stewed, braised, etc.. Its possible that NCL is buying Select or even lower cuts, but unlikely.

Thanks for clarifying, but I’ve been in the Beef business producing fat cattle sold to packing facilities so I know my side of the business. I’ve also taken many behind the scene tours and talked with many chefs on board NCL vessels and low quality beef in not ordered

Anyone that knows about marbling can tell their steaks are above the Select Grade

As you said to each his own. I agree that MDR food is at best middle of the road chain food quality. I consider that low quality, I am sure others consider it high quality.

I think it's a shame that "middle of the road chain restaurant" is the quality level MDRs have sunk to. It didn't use to be that way - dining on a cruise ship used to be special.

I just wanted to say I agree. The MDR food is like middle of the road chain food quality, and to me that is low quality. Even some of the specialty restaurants. Like la cucina is maybe barely a step up from olive garden.

I don't quite remember what it was, but when I was eating at Le Bistro the waiter mentioned how their bread was baked fresh unlike the bread on the rest of the ship. I have to say it was noticeably different. I didn't ask how the bread is prepared on the rest of the ship. It actually tasted like, bread. Not great bread, but decent bread, unlike the stuff served in the MDR and in the buffet.