Bait and Switch on itinerary for upcoming cruise

Bogartpa

In winter 2013 the Epic made eastern Caribbean runs with the last day (Friday) in Nassau. It was routine. The cruise after mine in Feb 2013 missed Nassau. This was not because of weather, malfunction, or anything to do with the dock. For some unexplained reason, the Nassau port let another cruise ship dock in the same dock Epic was using every Friday. The captain told the passengers there was no explanation for this but there was no other choice but to make it a sea day. Passengers revolted with accusations it was purposely done so people would drink on the ship, etc. Cruise Critic also got an ear full how bad the last day was with overcrowding and angry passengers.

There are things that happen that are beyond NCL's control. It sucks but its the nature of cruising.

Carnival Splendor was already scheduled there Monday the 5th. A 3,000 guest ship. Add NCL bliss a 4,000 guest ship . Tender operations way too much for this many guest in Cabo . NCL got the boot because Carnival already had dibs.

A better substitute would have been a Caribbean port before Miami but sadly that didn’t happen .

In winter 2013 the Epic made eastern Caribbean runs with the last day (Friday) in Nassau. It was routine. The cruise after mine in Feb 2013 missed Nassau. This was not because of weather, malfunction, or anything to do with the dock. For some unexplained reason, the Nassau port let another cruise ship dock in the same dock Epic was using every Friday. The captain told the passengers there was no explanation for this but there was no other choice but to make it a sea day. Passengers revolted with accusations it was purposely done so people would drink on the ship, etc. Cruise Critic also got an ear full how bad the last day was with overcrowding and angry passengers.

There are things that happen that are beyond NCL's control. It sucks but its the nature of cruising.

This is exactly what I see on the Bliss cruise. This is a repo cruise, so it is only done once or twice a year (depending on whether the Bliss is coming back to the Caribbean or not). They booked the dock in a port, and then another line who regularly calls at that port (giving the port more money than the one off Bliss) changed their itinerary and took the berth, and so forth. Port changes, particularly in small ports, on repo cruises are quite often subject to change, and the reasons are out of the cruise line's control. Remember, until the ship actually, physically docks in the port, they have paid no money to the port, so the harbormaster can make any change he/she wants if it brings in more money to the port. Ships that do the Mexican Riviera cruise regularly will likely have a contract with all the ports along the coast, whether they actually call there or not, just to have priority on the dock space, while a repo is just a "reservation" for the dock, and there is no firm commitment from the port that a dock space will be available.

(yn)

quick question. I am in a studio cabin. will I get the $100 OBC? Have not heard anything from TA or NCL. Thanks.

Just called my TA this morning about the $100 obc, as I didn’t get an email, and she said the NCL agent said it would be automatic for everyone and should show up on your reservation in a week or so. You may still want to call to confirm though.

Mary Ann

Just called my TA this morning about the $100 obc, as I didn’t get an email, and she said the NCL agent said it would be automatic for everyone and should show up on your reservation in a week or so. You may still want to call to confirm though.

Mary Ann

That should get you about 15 laps around the go cart trek...LOL

Let me just say, it is a Panama canal sailing and that is what the OP booked I m guessing. Who cares about one port being changed except someone who enjoys stirring the pot. The cruise hasn't even taken place yet. OP might, if he/she opened their eyes actually enjoy the new itinerary. Griping before one ever gets on the ship is a wasted of energy and asking to be disappointed. The entire cruise experience is what should matter, not missing one port or having a port change. This happens often as most of us know It happens for many reasons. As for not posting before the itinerary is set. The cruise dates come out as early as 2 years before sailing, so many things can happen between then and actual sailing dates.

I am not a complainer and understand that port changes are sometimes necessary. I don’t even have a big problem with the changes here as they don’t affect any of my plans. However, I booked this cruise 3 months ago and they have changed the itinerary for the first 4 days of the cruise several times. Sunday was a sea day and now a port day, Monday was a sea day then a port day(Cabo) now a sea day, Tuesday was a port day(PV) now a port day(Mazatlan), Wednesday was a port day(Manzanillo) now a sea day. These changes make it very difficult when trying to book excursions, dining and entertainment. I assume anyone that booked this cruise and made plans for those days is a bit frustrated by now and unsure if they should book anything at this point. Hope anyone can understand the frustration.

• Like 1

Remember, until the ship actually, physically docks in the port, they have paid no money to the port, so the harbormaster can make any change he/she wants if it brings in more money to the port.

Why's that? I'd expect a booking to be a solid contract, and the actual transfer of money being a mere by-product of doing business that can happen before, or after, or by monthly payments, or whatever.

Are you saying that a port can say "we know you'd really want to dock here as you're at the gate with 2500 excited passengers, but we've decided that it would cost $50k more to do so" before the invoice is paid?

Why's that? I'd expect a booking to be a solid contract, and the actual transfer of money being a mere by-product of doing business that can happen before, or after, or by monthly payments, or whatever.

Are you saying that a port can say "we know you'd really want to dock here as you're at the gate with 2500 excited passengers, but we've decided that it would cost $50k more to do so" before the invoice is paid?

Yep, government entity, can do pretty much whatever it wants to.

• Haha 1

They seem to be making lots of changes lately. My upcoming Panama Canal cruise in Nov on Pearl...they just changed Belize City to Harvest Caye and swapped the actual date of the port call with Santo Tomas. I enjoy Harvest Caye a lot. My point is that they seem to be changing things rather last minute, though.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

I received a call yesterday re to my june sailing to alaska. we had a land tour that has been cancelled.

Yep, government entity, can do pretty much whatever it wants to.

Luckily there's at least some competition between governments. The ships can visit other ports.

Actually similar for dry dock, after the absurd penalty for RC for hiring cheap Philippinos to do the work, the Dutch industry says the damage is a billion euros. Other shipyards don't have such "public servants" destroying entire industries.

(in Dutch) https://www.trouw.nl/home/cruiseschip-mijdt-nederlands-dok~abf6e2f6/

Luckily there's at least some competition between governments. The ships can visit other ports.

Actually similar for dry dock, after the absurd penalty for RC for hiring cheap Philippinos to do the work, the Dutch industry says the damage is a billion euros. Other shipyards don't have such "public servants" destroying entire industries.

(in Dutch) https://www.trouw.nl/home/cruiseschip-mijdt-nederlands-dok~abf6e2f6/

I remember the incident. Foreign flag ships can bring in foreign workers to work on the ship in a US shipyard if they come in on work visas claiming that they have unique expertise not available in the US, such as finishing cruise ship interiors (the metal joinerwork of walls and ceilings are unique to the maritime industry, and there are very, very few in the US who can do the job well). When the Norwegian Sky reflagged into the Pride of Aloha, there were both US and foreign sub-contractors working on renovating the hotel areas of the ship, as well as foreign technical engineers supervising the repairs to the engineering equipment. But, once the US flag went up, all the non-US workers had to leave. The "tiger teams" used by cruise lines to do things like carpet laying, reupholstery, tiling, and the like, being from Malaysia or Indonesia is quite common. The guys doing the joinerwork for new cabins or new public venues, deck refinishing, and galley equipment renewal tend to be European.

The original itinerary for the first Panama cruise for the Bliss included Puerto Chiapas, we were there with the Pearl and I thought NO WAY will the Bliss fit. Was not surprised when itinerary changed, was surprised when the Captain said the port had said yes. They didn’t realize how big she was, until she started sailing.
This is frightening!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We are booked on the Dec. 30th Pearl cruise, several weeks ago they changed Harvest Caye with Belize City, bummer, been there, done that, several times, but no biggie. Yesterday received and e-mail changing back to Harvest Caye but different times, earlier departure from Tampa, dropping Cozumel the first port and adding Grand Cayman for last port and changing times on shore on most ports. This just makes a big headache for those of us that plan and book excursions early. Still a lot of time to change those things, but please NCL, decide on the ports and times and stick to it.

This is frightening!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes, I was a bit shocked. We were rescheduled weeks before we were scheduled to be in Port, I am guessing the Captain would have researched the port and realized the Bliss wouldn't have fit before we got there.

I spoke to him on Sept 4 and he knew the clearance he was going to have on Sept 30 (under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver)

I'd be upset too, Ensenada is a dump. I've been on two cruises the last 2 years that stopped there and we didn't even get off. There is nothing to do there except go to an overpriced bar and be hassled by beggars. There are few tours worth doing there and the area is pretty much a ghetto. Cabo is far far better as is PV. I don't see how berthing is an issue in Cabo as all the ships anchor in the bay and tender in. I've been there when 4 ships are in the bay. Ships tenders are often used to supplement the small local tenders. Even in PV, the ships can anchor offshore and tender in. We did it once sailing on the Star. There are not many ships doing the Mexico west coast anymore so I find it hard to believe they can't find somewhere to stop other than Ensenada. There are a multitude of other ports that very few ships visit (La Paz, Manzanillo, Ixtapa etc)

well first of all, Encanada, though not all as modern as say, Cabo, isn't bad either and it can be fun if you take the chip off your shoulder. No one is doing a bait and switch on you for no reason and you are getting a $100 OBC. I think that is pretty generous. What would you expect a cruise line, any line to do when there is a birthing problem? Go, enjoy your cruise and think about it this way: Most of the Mexican ports are so much alike it really makes no difference which ones you visit? :confused:

Although Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are both nice ports I have been to Ensenada twice (last time being 2 weeks ago) and it is not Comparable to the other two at all. I would stay on board in Ensenada and use the $100 on board credit to do some fun things on the ship. I will be on the 8 day Mexican Riviera on the Bliss next Friday...first stop is Ensenada so adding that as an extra day on board the ship.

NCL or any cruise line realizes changing ports is going to upset their customers. So they would only do so if they needed to do so. There are so many factors at play that passengers may not realize.

So true. So my question: why the secrecy? Why not explain to the affected customers what happened? I know NCL is not required to explain anything, but a little proactive PR can go a long way.

• Like 1

So true. So my question: why the secrecy? Why not explain to the affected customers what happened? I know NCL is not required to explain anything, but a little proactive PR can go a long way.

What difference would it make? I'll help you , NONE. I promise you that no matter what the reason, one or more passengers would be screaming bloody murder that the reason was total BA. proof? The recent cruises that were diverted from Bermuda for safety concerns over the pending hurricane. Many folks actually came here and complained vigorously that since the storm changed course and never directly made landfall on Bermuda, NCL made a poor decision. Some even went so far to say as a result of that they should get some(if not all) of their money back. Going into any level of detail just opens up a huge can of worms.

What difference would it make? I'll help you , NONE. I promise you that no matter what the reason, one or more passengers would be screaming bloody murder that the reason was total BA. proof? The recent cruises that were diverted from Bermuda for safety concerns over the pending hurricane. Many folks actually came here and complained vigorously that since the storm changed course and never directly made landfall on Bermuda, NCL made a poor decision. Some even went so far to say as a result of that they should get some(if not all) of their money back. Going into any level of detail just opens up a huge can of worms.

So you're saying because a few people will complain no matter what, NCL should cater to the lowest common denominator and withhold information from the reasonable majority. I disagree.

So you're saying because a few people will complain no matter what, NCL should cater to the lowest common denominator and withhold information from the reasonable majority. I disagree.

I neither said nor did I imply that, you are inferring it.

I am saying that there is no information to 'withhold' as it is all 100% irrelevant as the contract does indeed state that itinerary "FOR ANY PURPOSE". It does not ever mention that they need the approval of the passengers to do so.

I neither said nor did I imply that, you are inferring it.
Of course the reader infers. So helpful that you demonstrated your knowledge of the words.

But any reasonable person would infer from your post that NCL shouldn't communicate because people are going to complain no matter what.

I am saying that there is no information to 'withhold' as it is all 100% irrelevant as the contract does indeed state that itinerary "FOR ANY PURPOSE". It does not ever mention that they need the approval of the passengers to do so.
Mike never said approval - you inferred that (and your inference is unreasonable, IMO).

By letter of the contract NCL doesn't have to explain anything, you are correct. By letter of the contract, no NCL employee needs to say anything at all to us passengers. Communication is part of customer service. Failing to communicate, whether legally obligated to or not, contributes to a negative customer experience.

As others have said, a lot goes into the decision to change ports. I am sure what gets communicated is part of what goes into the decision. The silence on the reason is significant.

• Like 1