To Suit or not to Suit

Same here... I took along my tux for two cruises with one being a cruise out of Dover UK, the other a New Year's eve cruise out of Houston. I will take a sports jacket in the future since I think the glory days of dress up formal nights are gone now.

So you care more about what others are wearing. Here is a prime example of someone changing their attire (and attitude) because of others. Because they feel the glory days of formal evenings are gone. Makes no sense. Formal evenings & formal attire still exist. Other passengers have not paid for your cruise. It is your vacation, not theirs. What others choose to wear should never dictate what you choose to wear.

:confused:

What I don't understand is why people need to be on a cruise to dress up. I always read comments such as, "We don't have an occasion to dress up at home so we like to do so on a cruise". Royal Caribbean's formal nights seem to be more of a come as you are party with no real dress code enforcement. If you don't care what people are wearing on formal night, why does it bother you at home when going to a restaurant?

So you care more about what others are wearing. Here is a prime example of someone changing their attire (and attitude) because of others. Because they feel the glory days of formal evenings are gone. Makes no sense. Formal evenings & formal attire still exist. Other passengers have not paid for your cruise. It is your vacation, not theirs. What others choose to wear should never dictate what you choose to wear.

Sorry but it does make a difference to the ambiance of the evening when it was truly formal. I realize those days are over due to the size of the ship and the added activities and specialty restaurants. Apparently it matters to you since you seem to push your formal agenda. We will decide with the group that we are traveling how we will dress. I don't care either way. It would be a new experience not dressing up. Maybe it's time for a change.

Trying to decide if I really need to dig out a garment bag (and pay additional checked bag fee on flight) to bring my DH suit - we’re on the Harmony of the Seas Nov 3rd - 7 night Caribbean. What percentage of the men in the MDR would you say wear a suit for the 2 formal nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Less than 5 % .I last wore a suit in 2015 on a cruise.

Tuxes and long gowns were required on formal nights many years ago. This is 2018. Wear what you are comfortable in and don't worry about others. Dh usually takes a sport ooat now and I wear a dressy top with evening pants, but there have been times when we go change after dinner and the pictures. I'm on vacation so I want to be comfy and enjoy myself.

Yes formal nights still exist and no, other passengers don't dictate to me what to wear. Our first cruise was in 1986 on a Royal Caribbean ship. Back then, waiters wore white gloves at dinner service. Wow, I didn't think that I would have to

defend my position concerning formal wear thirty-plus years later. Times do change.

We always dress smart at all times when we are outside of our home or cabin so we don't even think about it.

What other people wear is down to them.

RCCL seems to have a new rule in regards to formal nights that goes something like "Wear whatever you like but you must wear something." It's a variant of the message that used to be at museum entrances before most museums started charging fixed admission fees.

It's amazing how many grown adults can't dress themselves or decide for themselves what to wear, and they need to know or care more about what others are wearing. If passengers jump overboard for no apparent reason, will you do the same?

I understand the issue traveling with a garment bag when flying. The extra bag fee. However you just spent (thousands) on a cruise that you planned for many months or over a year, and an extra bag fee is going to break your bank?

What others are wearing have not paid for your vacation. It is your vacation, not theirs.

If you put on a tie, or god forbid you put on a sport coat, or a full suit, YOU WILL NOT BE ALONE.

If you need to ask if you should break out a garment bag, if you should wear this or wear that, then you most likely already made your decision.. Why do so many members need or require justification?

Why so judgmental? People aren't sure about something and ask a question for help. That's kinda what CC is about. Don't like it, don't read it.

Question about the "newly relaunched Mariner" 3/4 nights out of Miami. Has any one been on it - it it really same old same old - some dress up for photos some not ( They don't post "FORMAL" on the cruise compass - I saw a copy of one on line) ??

I went in July on the Mariner and it is the same ole same ole. They never posted formal in the compass but my party and I dressed up for the night that should’ve been formal night. There was probably a 40-60 split that wore suits or more vs their ‘finest’ swimming trunks.

Question about the "newly relaunched Mariner" 3/4 nights out of Miami. Has any one been on it - it it really same old same old - some dress up for photos some not ( They don't post "FORMAL" on the cruise compass - I saw a copy of one on line) ??

There is no formal night on Mariner. There is a photo w Captain night on 2nd night. I'd estimate those I saw "dressed" up to be around 15-25% overall around the ship.

There is no formal night on Mariner. There is a photo w Captain night on 2nd night. I'd estimate those I saw "dressed" up to be around 15-25% overall around the ship.

Thank you so very much. And especially for just a nice reply not a comment on whether we are adult enough to make our own dressing decisions. ;)

Thank you so very much. And especially for just a nice reply not a comment on whether we are adult enough to make our own dressing decisions. ;)

As an adult I dressed myself in a teal polo and pink golf shorts for the Captain.

It is a very casual cruise. If you've ever been on NCL it's done basically identically.