Beware freebies as advertised

Taxmax117

Drink package, Free drinks, free specialty restaurants etc.

Make sure you double check which drinks are free.  Premium

is considerably different from the drink package they want you to buy.

There is also a very high "tip" added to your bill. BEWARE.

Specialty restaurants, once chosen as a freebie, are extremely

difficult to book at the times you wish. Especially trying to book online prior 

to departure.

3 minutes ago, Taxmax117 said:

Drink package, Free drinks, free specialty restaurants etc.

Make sure you double check which drinks are free.  Premium

is considerably different from the drink package they want you to buy.

There is also a very high "tip" added to your bill. BEWARE.

Specialty restaurants, once chosen as a freebie, are extremely

difficult to book at the times you wish. Especially trying to book online prior 

to departure.

This is also a reminder to not rely solely on cabin price when comparing the cost of cruises (vs their value).

A far better measure is "net daily rate."

Determine ALL required and anticipated/desired optional cruise expenses (e.g., airfare, internet, beverages [incl. alcohol], excursions, specialty restaurants....... and cabin price) and divide the total bottom line by the number of cruise itinerary days.

When you use "net daily rate" calculations, you may be surprised at the value associated with some of the more inclusive "premium" cruise lines which you may have thought were out of your "affordability ballpark."

The possibility of having better food and service, less crowds and annoyances, more amenities, etc. is definitely worth doing the math.

I am pretty sure that no cruise lines drink packages include the top of top shelf liquors. Some have classifications such as Standard, Premium and Super Premium (such as MSC) and (as in the case of MSC) their Unlimited package only includes the Standard, the Deluxe includes Premium, but all Super Premium come at an additional cost.

It definitely pays to do your research, so hopefully your post will be seen by lots of new cruisers who otherwise wouldn't know, and therefore help them make a much more informed decision.

It's classic marketing that the word "free" attracts people. Nothing is free. Some deals may be better than others though. Compare your options. Compare what you are getting/paying instead of a flashy headline. Choose what is important to you. 

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Surely the terms and conditions and fine print are always taken into account😫🤪

You made me spit out my cereal!! 😄

Working in customer service it's a daily occurrence of directing people to the t&c they agreed to when signing up when they get pissy that they don't have this/weren't told this/etc etc. Gah.

I will admit I don't read the fine print of every little thing these days - downloading an app on my phone I ain't reading a book of t&cs. But for something like a cruise contract that I am dropping a good chunk of change on you can bet your **** I am reading them through.

15 hours ago, jlp20 said:

It would appear someone did zero research and didn't bother to read anything about what they were buying.

I got three "free specialty dining" but was unable to book anything online for the times I wanted and when I got on board the first thing I did was try to book but was unable to. I could only get 5:30 and 9PM. Once they see you are not a paying customer you are put way down on the list of availability. There is no fine print here. The administration of the "freebies" are a mess.

56 minutes ago, Taxmax117 said:

I got three "free specialty dining" but was unable to book anything online for the times I wanted and when I got on board the first thing I did was try to book but was unable to. 

OK, I believe you. But there is no reason for them to know if you have a "freebie" at time of reservation, I believe they ask you present paperwork at time of ordering. . I will tell you these are money making venues on the ship. They are popular and usually book up TO THEIR STANDARDS. There are three of you, so a four top table is required. That fourth setting is a "loss" in their eyes. They may have an in house rule about seating party of three.

17 hours ago, jlp20 said:

OK, I believe you. But there is no reason for them to know if you have a "freebie" at time of reservation, I believe they ask you present paperwork at time of ordering. . I will tell you these are money making venues on the ship. They are popular and usually book up TO THEIR STANDARDS. There are three of you, so a four top table is required. That fourth setting is a "loss" in their eyes. They may have an in house rule about seating party of three.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:11 PM, hdowney said:

I am pretty sure that no cruise lines drink packages include the top of top shelf liquors. Some have classifications such as Standard, Premium and Super Premium (such as MSC) and (as in the case of MSC) their Unlimited package only includes the Standard, the Deluxe includes Premium, but all Super Premium come at an additional cost.

It definitely pays to do your research, so hopefully your post will be seen by lots of new cruisers who otherwise wouldn't know, and therefore help them make a much more informed decision.

Carnival's drink package includes all single drinks (except souvenir glasses) up to $20 and they don't sell any single drink in excess of $20.

6 hours ago, Taxmax117 said:

Before you get a reservation they ALWAYS swipe your card. This tells them what they need to know.

Only been on 3 different cruise lines. Reservations have been done on the phone. While they will know the cabin number, that's about it. Like I've said, the restaurant does not care if you have that freebie, they get paid from the TA or from the cruise line's corporate account. We usually make our reservations the first day OR just walk in and ask if there's an open table. Done this three times and were seated twice right away. 

17 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Carnival's drink package includes all single drinks (except souvenir glasses) up to $20 and they don't sell any single drink in excess of $20.

Good to know, thanks.

Although not sure what  I think of Cheers with the 15 drink limit!!!!

The 15 drinks only applies to alcohol based drinks 😉

I don't drink enough to justify Cheers (hubby and I spent between 300-400 for the two of us on our last 7 day), but I've read that servers will let you know or it will be printed on receipts when you are getting close to 15 so you can purchase a drink "for your friend" if you think you might hit the limit.

Really, if you make sure that you read and understand the terms and conditions of any package or promotion you should be fine.  The only time then you need to worry is when the people on the ship aren't aware of what is being stated online.  The whole MSC Yacht Club crepes issue was a good example of that with it eventually being resolved by the company.

I agree with those who say you should read the terms......to a degree.  I'm more on the side of the OP though.  I hate that cruise lines advertise something as "free" and then hit you with service charges and higher room rates to cover those "free" perks.  

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I agree with those who say you should read the terms......to a degree.  I'm more on the side of the OP though.  I hate that cruise lines advertise something as "free" and then hit you with service charges and higher room rates to cover those "free" perks.  

Higher room charges I don’t object to that much but I think then hitting you with a so called service charge is just wrong.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:57 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

When HAL offers the Signature Beverage package, included gratuities, a free dinner, etc., it comes with a higher cruise fare -- to pay for those freebies.  Any many times the down payment is non-refundable.

You have to do your homework.

It's not just HAL. I think that it's only a good deal for those who imbibe several drinks, every day. The fare is higher plus the mandatory 15-20% service charge that is paid up-front & charged every day including port-intensive days. Do the math, you can always elect to purchases drinks a la carte if you find the net price too high.

• Like 1