Why do you walk out on Rock of Ages?

Seafan22

Shows like ROA and others are usually bad stories contrived to connect songs that were not written for that purpose.  If you like the music and performers, you love the show.  If not, it's a waste of time.  

Some may leave because then can get rock music in other places on the ship (and drinks) without being exposed to the campy plot.

• Like 1

I walked out of For The Record: The Brat Pack.  It wasn't because I was offended or hadn't paid attention to the information about the show. It's because if I sat there even 1 minute longer I was going to pee my pants. I simply couldn't wait any longer. 

• Like 1

I am with Laszlo and david_sobe but will start with:  Some people have never been to Broadway Musical and did not know what to expect.  When people ask me I tell them it's like Mama Mia! and La La Land... but with 80s Rock Music and silly and adult situations. Parents strongly cautioned not to bring young children and PG-13 type (not R.)  If they'd put that out front on signs as you walk in maybe we'd stop more people for whom it's not their thing.  I constantly see parents with small kids and they are so distracted by the kids or whatever they don't listen to the announcements.

I have been to 10 shows on Breakaway and 2 in Las Vegas.  I am thrilled this ship has a real Broadway show in addition to the traditional variety stuff which frankly bores those of us who like Broadway Musicals.  I like that Breakway has both.

Next week I will see it on Breakway 4 more times.  And I'll be wearing my Rock of Ages or Arsenal T-shirts, and in the front row or as close as I can get when they let the standby people in.  Say hi if you're there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wdsted said:

People walk out on these shows because they are not theater goers and don’t know or care that when they do this they are negatively impacting others’ enjoyment and being rude and disrespectful to the performers.  There is hardly anything more annoying on a cruise than this behavior.  Find something else to do if you’d even consider doing this.

So if folks walk out of another venue on the ship (trivia, band performance, shopping lecture, Mr. Sexy Legs, etc.), is that being rude in your view?

The stage shows on ships are not ticketed Broadway events, they are one entertainment option on a ship filled with entertainment options.  Vacation time is preciously limited for many people, so if they are not enjoying what's in front of them, why not move on to something they'd rather spend their evening doing.  As long as they exit with as little disruption as possible, who cares?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

So if folks walk out of another venue on the ship (trivia, band performance, shopping lecture, Mr. Sexy Legs, etc.), is that being rude in your view?

The stage shows on ships are not ticketed Broadway events, they are one entertainment option on a ship filled with entertainment options.  Vacation time is preciously limited for many people, so if they are not enjoying what's in front of them, why not move on to something they'd rather spend their evening doing.  As long as they exit with as little disruption as possible, who cares?

When they get up out inside seats in a row, yes it's rude.  Or arrive late.  And The one time I sat further back I had to endure a steady stream of people walking up the aisle interrupting the view of the stage.  Not one or two.  Twenty, spaced over the first 20 minutes of the show.  Yes, that's rude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

When they get up out inside seats in a row, yes it's rude.  Or arrive late.  And The one time I sat further back I had to endure a steady stream of people walking up the aisle interrupting the view of the stage.  Not one or two.  Twenty, spaced over the first 20 minutes of the show.  Yes, that's rude.

If it bothers you that much then I would suggest arriving early and taking a seat in the middle of a row, front and center in the first few rows to minimize disruption. 

• Like 2

I've left a few shows over the years early because I found them dull and boring.  I haven't seen this one in particular, but as paying customers - we shouldn't have to sit through something while on vacation if we are not enjoying it.  I don't see what the big deal is.  On some cruise lines I just stopped going to the productions.

53 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

No, walking out on those things isn’t rude IMO.  None of them qualify as artistic performances intended to draw in a audience looking for the opportunity to be drawn into an experience, not be stepped on as others exit.  If you need to ask, you probably shouldn’t bother attending.  If your child or grandchild was performing at a piano recital, how would you feel about a mass exodus while they were playing?

That's a pretty dramatic description of a stage show on a cruise ship.  I presume you are or were involved in the industry at some point.  Maybe stick to performance venues where most everyone there shares your point of view and has paid to be there via ticket purchase.  Most people on a cruise are there on vacation to enjoy themselves how they see fit, not to be immersed in a mediocre to good (or very good, depending on your view) artistic performance.  And not sure why those others venues I mentioned are in a different class IYO.

I don't think 20 people leaving in 20 minutes as you described in a theater of 500-1000 people is a mass exodus.

I think folks attending a children's recital (for free) expect mediocre or bad performances, and are happily surprised if they get more.  A mass exodus is unlikely.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

If it bothers you that much then I would suggest arriving early and taking a seat in the middle of a row, front and center in the first few rows to minimize disruption. 

That was my first show, and ever since I have arrived to be first in line as you suggest.  But you can only reserve for one show, and wait at the pleasure of the door person for when you can go in for other shows.  I have seen people get up from the front row and walk out.

I am not in the industry.  I am an IT Executive.

I am stunned at the statement my description of the show is "pretty dramatic."  You mean the part that it is a Broadway Musical and like "Mama Mia!" ?  It's just simple fact. I use it because people are likely to have seen the movie even if not a Broadway Musical like it.  It's a Broadway Musical staged with the same production values as the Broadway show, same stage, lighting and sound. In fact the theater was designed for the show when it was outfitted.  The actors are often the same people who played the parts in New York and Las Vegas.  They are disheartened when people get up and leave, especially from the front few rows where it's so obvious.  Please don't doubt me on this. My statements are from the actors themselves and the behind the scenes tour. I socialize with the actors late evenings when they come to Headliners during Howl at the Moon each cruise.

19 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

That was my first show, and ever since I have arrived to be first in line as you suggest.  But you can only reserve for one show, and wait at the pleasure of the door person for when you can go in for other shows.  I have seen people get up from the front row and walk out.

I am not in the industry.  I am an IT Executive.

I am stunned at the statement my description of the show is "pretty dramatic."  You mean the part that it is a Broadway Musical and like "Mama Mia!" ?  It's just simple fact. I use it because people are likely to have seen the movie even if not a Broadway Musical like it.  It's a Broadway Musical staged with the same production values as the Broadway show, same stage, lighting and sound. In fact the theater was designed for the show when it was outfitted.  The actors are often the same people who played the parts in New York and Las Vegas.  They are disheartened when people get up and leave, especially from the front few rows where it's so obvious.  Please don't doubt me on this. My statements are from the actors themselves and the behind the scenes tour. I socialize with the actors late evenings when they come to Headliners during Howl at the Moon each cruise.

None of them qualify as artistic performances intended to draw in a audience looking for the opportunity to be drawn into an experience.

The above is the dramatic description I was referring to.

I don't think most people have seen that movie, but that's not relevant.  People are on a cruise vacation and can spend their time as they please.  There are a dozen other things to do within 1,000 feet of the theater.  You think that they should sit through the entire performance wasting their limited time.  And people leave for various reasons, not just because they are not enjoying the show. 

I figured there was some sort of personal connection to the industry and you stated it regarding socializing with the actors.  If the actors feel disheartened about people leaving during the show, then I feel bad for them and their future in that industry.  Again, this is not Broadway, it's not a paid ticketed event where folks have a vested interest in getting their money's worth.

Edited by Mike_DeA
  • Like 3

I believe there is a rule that applies in both concert and live theater etiquette that states (and I am paraphrasing here),

"Stay in your *#!# seat until the end of the song or intermission."

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

I believe there is a rule that applies in both concert and live theater etiquette that states (and I am paraphrasing here),

"Stay in your *#!# seat until the end of the song or intermission."

Or poop your pants and share with those around you.

You guys are expecting people that can't be bothered to put on pants for dinner to know "theater etiquette" :classic_blink:

Let me clarify "put on pants"...Pants, as in NOT jeans, NOT shorts, NOT cargo....aka slacks. I think my mom may be the last person alive to use that term LOL

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, david_sobe said:

In today's society people are rude and manners are non-existent.   People have no patience to sit for an hour and watch anything.  They rather be walking, talking, and taking selfies.  Its not like you drove to the theater.  You are on a cruise ship, where the hell are you walking out to?  Everyone must be instantly entertained.

This is the same crowd that crowd boarding at airports when their group is not called.  They think they are more important than other people. Insulting the performers on stage has not even crossed their minds.  
We have raised a society of grown children because this is how they act.  You cant expect an 8 year old to sit patient during a Broadway show (that no one is forcing you to see btw) and now "adults" cant do the same.  I am also sick of them playing the "offended" card because someone cursed or a man dressed as a woman.  You realize the language on a Jr High bus is worse than anything you would hear at a show.  Society has become without manners and even worse, a bunch of snow flakes!

Wow, such a damning observation on society.  Society as we know it must be on the verge of collapse in your mind.

What I don't understand is with all negativity you see in today's society, why on earth would you subject your self to be captive on a cruise ship with members of society?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

In today's society people are rude and manners are non-existent.   People have no patience to sit for an hour and watch anything.  They rather be walking, talking, and taking selfies.  Its not like you drove to the theater.  You are on a cruise ship, where the hell are you walking out to?  Everyone must be instantly entertained.

This is the same crowd that crowd boarding at airports when their group is not called.  They think they are more important than other people. Insulting the performers on stage has not even crossed their minds.  
We have raised a society of grown children because this is how they act.  You cant expect an 8 year old to sit patient during a Broadway show (that no one is forcing you to see btw) and now "adults" cant do the same.  I am also sick of them playing the "offended" card because someone cursed or a man dressed as a woman.  You realize the language on a Jr High bus is worse than anything you would hear at a show.  Society has become without manners and even worse, a bunch of snow flakes!

With on that, David.  Loved ROA.  If you don't know what it's about, and you don't like loud music, and you don't understand that it's meant to be over the top, then you weren't paying attention.

I've yet to see any of the NCL main shows that weren't top notch.

Those include..

-Blue Man Group

-Rock of Ages

-Burn the Floor

-Cirque Jungle Fantasy

-Cirque Steam

All of them were top notch.

If you walk out, it's no big deal.  You can if you want.  Just make certain you don't interfere with anyone else's enjoyment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Wow, such a damning observation on society.  Society as we know it must be on the verge of collapse in your mind.

What I don't understand is with all negativity you see in today's society, why on earth would you subject your self to be captive on a cruise ship with members of society?

Not captive at all because thankfully the people with no manners are the minority.  The ones that have no respect for on stage performers.  The ones that post the threads here on CC how they walked out because their feelings were hurt and they were offended.  Boo hoo.  They saw a cruise ship show that "offended" them.
Good grief

• Like 2

19 hours ago, momto2js said:

The reason that I might walk out over content, is that the warnings are overused and can be useless.  We were one a weather extended cruise one year, and they played Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in the theater one night.  Outside the theater there was a sign warning about adult content and using parental judgement.  Umm, it is Fantastic Beasts??  I walked my 8 and 10 year olds right past the sign and into the movie.  

Now say, that same sign is in front of the door, later in the week or even on a different cruise, of Rock of Ages.  Well clearly the cruise line is over protective, and this is the headline show on a cruise line that hosts many generations, it must be OK for my now 10 and 12 year olds??   Oh, this time they meant it, kids come on we are going.  It could easily happen.  

I do not expect EVERYTHING on board to have multi- generational appeal, but the headline entertainment should be selected and developed to be something everyone on board can enjoy.  NCL is not alone in this regard.  My children suffered through the first 1/2 of CATS on RCI and I felt so bad for the cast when only about 1/3 of the theater returned after intermission, but that is just honestly not a good fit for a cruise.  The cast was really good and the staging was great, but well it is REALLY long and well, it isn't for everyone.  I think the main stream lines could do better developing the 2 or 3 main shows to better suit everyone on board.  

We walked out on Cats on Broadway. OMG we thought it was awful. We left at intermission though and ‘pretended” to our 8 and 10 year olds that it was over. 

2 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

So not sitting through a show you find totally boring and lacking in quality is rude?  It has nothing to do with going to take selfies, or anything else.  It has to do with the show not living up to one's expectations and deciding not to waste the next 60-90 minutes watching a substandard show.  Sorry but I am not going to sit through a show that I find to be terrible just so appease your ideals of patience and rudeness.  In fact I find your judgement of others to be rude.

The people that walk out on Rock of Ages, I'm sure they wonder why anyone would sit through it 🙂

These questions can go both ways.

21 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

We walked out on Cats on Broadway. OMG we thought it was awful. We left at intermission though and ‘pretended” to our 8 and 10 year olds that it was over. 

That's the big joke about Cats on Oasis of the Seas.  It's basically a laughing stock.  Nobody sits through that entire show.  I was proud that I got through almost 20 minutes.  It was tough, but I made it.

I thought After Midnight on Escape was horrendous, too.  We walked out on that one after 30 minutes or so.  As of now, Cats and After Midnight are the only 2 shows we have walked out on.