Why do you walk out on Rock of Ages?

Seafan22

On 10/22/2018 at 4:22 PM, Vyhanek said:

You are wrongly assuming everyone that walked out of that show was offended and just didn't listen to all of the announcements.

I walked out.   Not because I was offended at the content.   I was offended at low quality the production was.   It wasn't professional or classy and I didn't like it and wasn't going to waste my time on a low quality evening on vacation.    Oh how I miss the Jean Ann Ryan Company.   This new Australian based production company tries to be too edgy with the cruising public.   I don't think it goes over nearly as well as the Las Vegas style song and dance and las vegas style theater.   Its too edgy, too homosexuality in your face, too driven for shock value.

Which one is it , you weren't offended at the content or it was too edgy, too homosexuality in your face, too driven for shock value ?

8 hours ago, LrgPizza said:

I walked out of For The Record: The Brat Pack.  It wasn't because I was offended or hadn't paid attention to the information about the show. It's because if I sat there even 1 minute longer I was going to pee my pants. I simply couldn't wait any longer. 

I almost peed my pants . LOL !

I got to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert on the Epic a couple of Summers ago . Best show I've ever seen on-board ! Lots of warnings about content and still 40 or so patrons walk out after 20 minutes or so . Unbelievable !

Edited by richstowe
Priscilla

On 10/22/2018 at 4:22 PM, Vyhanek said:

too homosexuality in your face

@Vyhanek  I’m somewhat confused by this statement - you said early in the post that you didn’t leave because you were offended, but then this phrase at the end suggests you were offended (presumably too much “gayness” in the production is problematic vs. two much sexuality in general?). I don’t care for the constant sexuality in a movie or play, I am well acquainted with how it all works and don’t need a repeated demonstration.  But I have no bias as to which form, it’s not my cup of tea either way in the theater.

Edited by 2Beeze

On 10/22/2018 at 3:11 PM, fourofakind said:

I was one of those people walking out of this show on the Breakaway. I had high hopes for the show and I'm all for adult humor, raunchy, suggestive etc none of that bothers me. I walked out because to me this show was a real snoozer! I made it about 20 minutes in and thought wow this show is so lame what am I doing wasting my time here when there is other fun stuff to do. That is why I left because it was boring and I imagine all those others felt the same.

Burn the floor on the other hand I thought was fantastic and I have seen it every single time I've been on the Breakaway.

Funny how different people have different opinions!  We've been on the Breakaway three times and would not think of missing Rock of Ages!  We tried two different times to sit through Burn the Floor but couldn't get through the first 10 minutes either time.  We just kept thinking "I'm so bored, wish we were out having fun somewhere else on the ship"!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, Mike_DeA said:

Again, this is not Broadway, it's not a paid ticketed event where folks have a vested interest in getting their money's worth.

Maybe NCL should treat their shows like real broadway shows. Which means.......once the show has started you don't come in looking for a / your seat. My wife and I were on the Escape in September and saw 2 shows, After Midnight and the other about the 80's, the name escapes me right now. During both shows their were people coming in 15 minutes past the start time. Same as leaving, its rude to the people watching and rude to the people performing

58 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Maybe NCL should treat their shows like real broadway shows. Which means.......once the show has started you don't come in looking for a / your seat. My wife and I were on the Escape in September and saw 2 shows, After Midnight and the other about the 80's, the name escapes me right now. During both shows their were people coming in 15 minutes past the start time. Same as leaving, its rude to the people watching and rude to the people performing

Since that will not happen, you likely should consider sitting in the first few rows, front and center.

• Like 1

For us personally, we felt rock of ages was more cast of actors then great rock and roll music!  So we left to go to Syd Norman’s Por House as the group Shanti Leone and the Guilty Pleasures played great Rock and Roll I’m a better venue!  Wish it was larger to accomyall the passengers wanting to spend their evenings there!  We would line up outside Syds for 20 minutes before show with at least 20-30 other people!  

So we walked out of Rock of Ages because the talent of musicians was lacking.  (FYI- evening I observed the blonde gal with short hair from rock of ages who was performing in Syds on stage with her CELL phone reading the lyrics during a performance.)

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, wdsted said:

People walk out on these shows because they are not theater goers and don’t know or care that when they do this they are negatively impacting others’ enjoyment and being rude and disrespectful to the performers.  There is hardly anything more annoying on a cruise than this behavior.  Find something else to do if you’d even consider doing this.

I don't know- there was this other thread today that thought wasting food at the buffet was the most annoying and mannerless thing one could do on a cruise.

Me? I'm going to vote for the foul mouth drunk in the hot tub over either of the other two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, Seafan22 said:

I am just curious.  I was just on the Breakaway and saw the Rock of Ages show, which I thought was very well done; but during the beginning of the show, about 30 or so people walked out in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.  This is after the write-up in the Freestyle Daily says, "...this is your chance to experience the raunchy rock event of the year."  And,  "Adult themes, course language and sexually suggestive scenes are used throughout the show..."  Then a similar live announcement is made in the theater 15 minutes ahead of show time, and again five minutes ahead of the show.  But still there are walk outs.  

Could some people that walk out share your thinking?  I'm interested.

Thanks 

Obviously they weren't interested.

No experience with that show, but sometimes a show is just not to my taste and I wasn't sure from the description whether it would be or not. Last week I stood at the back at the beginning of one show to check it out, so could leave easily if it wasn't.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, Seafan22 said:

I am just curious.  I was just on the Breakaway and saw the Rock of Ages show, which I thought was very well done; but during the beginning of the show, about 30 or so people walked out in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.  This is after the write-up in the Freestyle Daily says, "...this is your chance to experience the raunchy rock event of the year."  And,  "Adult themes, course language and sexually suggestive scenes are used throughout the show..."  Then a similar live announcement is made in the theater 15 minutes ahead of show time, and again five minutes ahead of the show.  But still there are walk outs.  

Could some people that walk out share your thinking?  I'm interested.

Thanks 

Was looking forward to the show, we did not walk out, we know the show was very successful on broadway and around the world.  I like edgy and vulgarity, however I am in the minority with this show I did not like it, did not like the two different plot twists, I thought it was a stupid show. So maybe people walked out because they thought the show stunk. 

In addition I was also very disappointed with burn the floor, the dancers were great however there was no reason for the band because the band was not playing all of the music anyway, a track was being used for horns, violins, some guitars, etc.  So why have the band at all?  It was very distracting to me to hear a great saxophone or trumpet but not to see them because they were not playing live.  It was a recording

For us, no prudes for sure, it had nothing to do with raunchy conduct.  It had to do with the terrible acting, cheap, crummy costumes, and terrible story.  It was supposed to be an adult comedy, but it reminded me of the jokes I heard from other kids when I was sitting in the back row of music class in the 6th grade.

We usually love the stage shows on a cruise, and had really been looking forward to Rock of Ages.  We were very disappointed, and decided we had better things to do with our vacation time than sit through that awful production.

So after spending thousands on a Vacation I am expected to sit through a show as bad as ROA just so I don't offend someone by leaving?  The show didn't offend me but the storyline has been done to death and adding the twist of Jr. High locker room talk doesn't help it.  Didn't like the songs either, I kept thinking it would get better, it didn't.  I was more disappointed in myself for lasting the 30-45 minutes I did. 

BTW, for those of you that stayed you should thank the rest of us for leaving.  Less of a crowd to fight through the doors when it finally ended.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2018 at 6:51 PM, TrinaLC said:

We walked out on Cats on Broadway. OMG we thought it was awful. We left at intermission though and ‘pretended” to our 8 and 10 year olds that it was over. 

Yeah most of the stuff on Broadway can be done just as well if not better at many high school drama departments.  It is the experience/reputation  of Broadway that is the appeal.  I mean please who would pay 50 bucks for Broadway when you can see the same thing at a high school for 5 bucks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF you think you may walk out (you know who you are) or you think you may have to hit the restroom (you also you who you are, I am guilty of this)..by all means, sit at/near the back on the end of the row.  

LOL!  It is all personal preference.  Subjective.  I walked out of "Brat Pack" after 20 minutes. I grew up in that era, but left.  People left RAVE reviews about that show.  It did not appeal to me and I left. After Midnight I also left. 

I was amazed by Choir of Man!  They rocked! I would pay triple the amount to see them again!

So, I liked Phantom of the Opera and you didn't.  Subjective.  You can get up at anytime time and leave.  Your choice.  I left Brat Pack and After Midnight.  It is not rude to leave early clearly when one does not enjoy the show.   All personal preference...

I am paying for a vacation and do what I want!  Relax...

🙂

2 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

LOL!  It is all personal preference.  Subjective.  I walked out of "Brat Pack" after 20 minutes. I grew up in that era, but left.  People left RAVE reviews about that show.  It did not appeal to me and I left. After Midnight I also left. 

I was amazed by Choir of Man!  They rocked! I would pay triple the amount to see them again!

So, I liked Phantom of the Opera and you didn't.  Subjective.  You can get up at anytime time and leave.  Your choice.  I left Brat Pack and After Midnight.  It is not rude to leave early clearly when one does not enjoy the show.   All personal preference...

I am paying for a vacation and do what I want!  Relax...

🙂

we really liked the million dollar quartet

I think on a cruise ship for entertainment that is included (no upcharge), many people will give something a try that may not really be their thing, and know that if they don't like it or if it's a bit too loud or raunchy for them, they can just leave.

At home they wouldn't buy tickets for the traveling show (especially given warnings), but hey it's one of the main attractions, why not give it a chance.  That's going to mean way more walk outs than a traveling Broadway show, for example.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Newleno said:

Yeah most of the stuff on Broadway can be done just as well if not better at many high school drama departments.  It is the experience/reputation  of Broadway that is the appeal.  I mean please who would pay 50 bucks for Broadway when you can see the same thing at a high school for 5 bucks.

Just saying as someone who goes to NYC annually and whose favorite splurge (when it's the right show) is seeing Broadway in NYC I totally disagree.  But I realize that not everyone likes the same things and some high school and community groups certainly do a wonderful job and offer a tremendous value.  That's a great way to see theatre inexpensively and on a budget.  In May of 2017 we saw "Come From Away" with the original cast on Broadway and 'Hamilton" (not the original cast, but we were really curious to see it with all the buzz).  Both were really incredible pieces of work that for me and my family were such a treat to see.   This past January we were in NYC and saw "Dear Even Hansen", "Wicked", "Sweeny Todd" (a fabulous production in the Village in a small venue that served meat pies), "Anastasia", "Sponge Bob", and "Kinky Boots".  We ended up getting snowed in with flight delays, so splurged on more shows since we were stuck in NYC for three more days and we were right in the theatre district, and for "Dear Even Hansen" were able to get last minute tickets for what previously was unavailable and really expensive for a good price, due to other getting to change tickets due to weather conditions and both Sponge Bob and Kinky Boots were additional add ons we were thrilled to get last minute.  The shows  this past year in particular that we saw were mesmerizing  and awe inspiring for us with our favorite new shows for us being "Come From Away" and our second favorite being "Dear Evan Hansen".  And DS is a huge fan of "Wicked" and has seen it more than one time.  Do note my whole family loves theatre, and that we spend a lot of time reading about the shows and looking at a great site "Show Score" to pick the right shows (good fit for us).  Many times there aren't that many things we'd like to see, but for us 2017 / 2018 in New York had fabulous offering and our crazy mini Broadway trip is something we look back on with awe.  // It's a lot of money, but the talent in NYC is unbelievable.  And the chance (something we rarely have the opportunity or cash to do) to sometimes see an original cast is so cool.

Back to NCL.  We saw the Brat Pack and Burn the Floor and thought they were good.  Talent was excellent too, but not NYC caliber, but actually not that far away from traveling show talent.  We were impressed with the talent.  And we saw these because they were included with our cruise with no upcharge not because they would be a show that would particularly appeal to us.  So they were fun entertainment that we enjoyed, but not mesmerizing or awe inspiring.  Our local rep theatre (we are season ticket holders) did "Million Dollar Quartet" and I'm interested in seeing how the NCL version will compare (willing to see it again, as it's included in my cruise fare with no upcharge).  Otherwise, while a perfectly nice fun show, I'd give it a pass.  It wasn't offered on our cruise, but I could easily be someone who would try "Walk of Ages" and maybe leave??  I would definitely check it out if it were offered on our ship, but I wouldn't have gotten tickets I NYC or tickets for the traveling show (It has come to our home town three times) and I haven't seen it.

Everyone has a different opinion regarding shows.

Our favorite NCL show is Elements, it was great.

Our least favorite NCL show was the Blue Man Group on Epic.  About 20% of the audience walked out.  We could not due to where we were seated.

On another cruise line, we were in the balcony on the far right of the stage and for about 15 minutes a very, very bright light came on shining directly in our faces.  We couldn't see the show or anything and had to block out eyes.   It was awful.  We should have just left the show, but we thought that the light would not last that long.

• Like 1

Please consider that when you choose to leave a performance in the Stardust Theater early, a long row of people have to rise when you try to exit.  Many would find this annoying, when they are trying to enjoy the performance.  

If you're uncertain about staying through the entire show, which usually lasts for 1 hour or less, please take an aisle seat.  The same if you arrive late.

• Like 1