New Club Orange

Crew News

1 hour ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

Prior, ANYONE who paid for a Neptune Suite was offered breakfast in the Pinnacle ... a perk for paying hundreds of dollars more for a cabin.  If we're paying $8000 for a Neptune Suite it was something nice HAL did for us.    

And they STILL do get breakfast in the Pinnacle on all of the S & R, Vista & Signature class ships.  It’s only the Pinnacle Class (Koningsdam and N Statendam) where there is a separate Club Orange room where they dine in Club Orange instead of the PG for breakfast.

I agree our up coming suite is 15,000.00

If you pay for perks then those perks are for guests willing to upgrade the level of experience  for their cruise.

sorry but the facts are facts and yes our society definitely has lines of definitive differences. I’m all for everyone being treated equal. But seriously let’s face the facts 

3000 dollar experience vs 15,000.00 

is certainly not a blurred line 

“those people” well honestly in our country we have freedom of speech, expression and equality would be appropriate to add. I think picking apart someone’s post that is trying to help others understand what is the great or not great is perfectly fine with me.

please understand no ones intent is to hurt other people’s feelings. Let’s just enjoy the posts and try to think positive and objective.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

Yes, whoever wrote the reply is correct.  The wonderful Pinnacle Grill is still there (yay!) and open for lunch and dinner on the Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam but suite guests now eat breakfast at Club Orange.    I'm always in a Neptune Suite so I, personally, hate this change.  Club Orange is not elegant like the Pinnacle and you're with a bunch of people who probably just paid for Club Orange.  In actuality, Club Orange is where the Culinary Arts Center restaurant was (which tanked).    Rumor has it they are going to offer Club Orange on all the ships ... don't know on the older ships if suite guests will still get to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle.

No, the ambiance of Club Orange is not as nice as the Pinnacle for breakfast. But the food is better. And HAL isn't letting "a bunch of people who probably just paid for Club Orange" into the Pinnacle breakfast. So if you're on any HAL ship other than K and NS, only Neptune and Pinnacle suite passengers will be able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle. 

I can see why HAL moved the Pinnacle/Neptune suite guests to CO on K and NS. They many not sell enough "Orange Passes" to fill the Club Orange restaurant, so it might sit mostly empty. Plus, they would have to staff breakfast in two places. It makes sense from HAL's perspective to move the Neptune/Pinnacle suite guests to CO. 

The rumor you report is out of date. HAL already does offer Club Orange on the other ships, but they don't have a separate restaurant. Passengers who buy the "orange pass" get priority seating in the MDR for dinner and breakfast, but they don't have their own private restaurant. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

19 hours ago, Roz said:

I'm considering CO for my next HAL cruise.  Cyber flog me if you want to.  After my last HAL cruise where I pushed around for being a solo cruiser, I'm willing to pay for a safe haven in which to take my meals.  

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good (as a solo cruiser). What happened? Did you post something in another thread that you can point me to?

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good (as a solo cruiser). What happened? Did you post something in another thread that you can point me to?

Go back one page. I wish people who are unfriendly to solos would think about how rude that is. It isn't always easy to be a single in a "Noah's Ark" world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Go back one page. I wish people who are unfriendly to solos would think about how rude that is. It isn't always easy to be a single in a "Noah's Ark" world.

Yes -- I see that I did not read far enough initially, thanks.

Yikes, not a good experience.  It may have been partly due to the groups onboard; or at least let us hope. 

I don't know where we are headed with so many people reluctant to dine with (or even talk to) others. It's one thing that has traditionally made cruising very pleasant for those who travel solo but enjoy interaction with others. (And yes, I realize that not every does.)

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't know where we are headed with so many people reluctant to dine with (or even talk to) others. It's one thing that has traditionally made cruising very pleasant for those who travel solo but enjoy interaction with others. (And yes, I realize that not every does.)

Sharing a table with strangers is one of the serendipitous delights of travel, whether cruising or land based. It's just a meal, not a lifelong commitment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes -- I see that I did not read far enough initially, thanks.

Yikes, not a good experience.  It may have been partly due to the groups onboard; or at least let us hope. 

I agree, people are becoming less social. And sharing isn't just for solos. DH and I always asked for a large table. I understand that for some couples with hectic lives, a quiet table for two is a luxury. But we always ate dinner together, so it was a novelty to have more people at dinner.

I had a funny experience on Cunard recently. I was alone at a 2-top at the buffet, and a woman plunked down her plate, said hello, sat down and started chatting. Then she stopped abruptly and said "Oh! I didn't even ask if it was okay to join you." I just laughed and said of course it was okay. I suppose if I had looked annoyed or horrified when she set her plate down, she would have moved on. But the sharing attitude still exists on Cunard. And although I "never saw this person again," (the reason many people give for not bothering with strangers),  I enjoyed pleasant company for a while.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But the sharing attitude still exists on Cunard.

In my experience, on our roll calls, it also exists.  Solos often dine with other members of the roll call (if they want) and are invited to join in PG dinners, lunches, etc.

We often socialize on sea days with other people, including solos.  I’ve met and gotten to know a lot of great people that way and enjoy their company if we are lucky to be on another cruise with them.

It’s a shame that you and others have encountered people who were so unsociable and didn’t welcome some comraderie..  That’s very sad and disturbing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walfam said:

Sharing a table with strangers is one of the serendipitous delights of travel, whether cruising or land based. It's just a meal, not a lifelong commitment. 

I agree, and in our earlier cruising years, we almost always enjoyed it.

But I’m sure we all can recognize that circumstances in life sometimes mean it’s better for other passengers when someone chooses to request a table for two. It’s not necessarily that we are unsociable.

I lost my hearing over a period of years. At one point, wearing a hearing aid, I could still catch bits of conversation one on one. But at a large table in the middle of a noisy dining room, I struggled throughout every dinner and was truly unable to participate. It wasn’t fair to the very nice people seated with us and no fun for me to be left out.

After one painful transatlantic cruise, we requested tables for two against a wall, with slightly better acoustics, and I could face my husband close up to more easily read his lips. When I became profoundly deaf, I received a service dog from a nonprofit called Dogs for the Deaf, and this scenario since then again has been best served by a table for two in a corner against the wall so my dog won’t be stepped on. (And not everyone wants  the surprise of a dog as a dining companion, anyway.)

We enjoyed Club Orange, by the way, when we were in a Neptune Suite on N. Statendam because it was very easy to obtain the type of table we needed any time we chose to arrive. We also liked having breakfast (and a nightly dinner special) menu items cooked hot to order by the chef installed in that venue.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

In my experience, on our roll calls, it also exists.  Solos often dine with other members of the roll call (if they want) and are invited to join in PG dinners, lunches, etc.

We often socialize on sea days with other people, including solos.  I’ve met and gotten to know a lot of great people that way and enjoy their company if we are lucky to be on another cruise with them.

It’s a shame that you and others have encountered people who were so unsociable and didn’t welcome some comraderie..  That’s very sad and disturbing.

Yes, a good roll call is a great way to meet people in advance. Last winter I did a couple of tours with people on the roll call and it was fun. But some roll calls are very quiet. 

4 hours ago, kazu said:

And they STILL do get breakfast in the Pinnacle on all of the S & R, Vista & Signature class ships.  It’s only the Pinnacle Class (Koningsdam and N Statendam) where there is a separate Club Orange room where they dine in Club Orange instead of the PG for breakfast.

Question:  So HAL is not changing the Pinnacle breakfast on the Nieuw Amsterdam?  Good to hear!  Love the Pinnacle.  We eat there every night.

17 minutes ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

Question:  So HAL is not changing the Pinnacle breakfast on the Nieuw Amsterdam?  Good to hear!  Love the Pinnacle.  We eat there every night.

It’s clearly stated on the Cruise Atlas and someplace else on the HAL site that PG breakfast is on all the non Pinnacle class ships for Neptune Suites.  (I’ve posted the pics before of the page and links).

So, no, PG on the N. Amsterdam is not changed for NS or PS category.  Enjoy 🙂

6 hours ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

Prior, ANYONE who paid for a Neptune Suite was offered breakfast in the Pinnacle ... a perk for paying hundreds of dollars more for a cabin.  If we're paying $8000 for a Neptune Suite it was something nice HAL did for us.    

And now there’s an additional perq which includes an intimate dining room for dinner on the Pinnacle-class ships.  That’s a nice bonus for those of us who don’t enjoy the MDR.

• Like 1

To "Miss G" ... People could be in the cheapest cabin on the ship and pay for Club Orange ... not nearly as much as people paid for a Neptune or Penthouse suite.  So should they get the same perks?   No.

I recently took a Queen Mary 2 cruise where all dining venues are based on what you paid for your cabin ... not "social strata" ... but what you paid.  Those paying the most dined in the best restaurant.   

9 minutes ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

I recently took a Queen Mary 2 cruise where all dining venues are based on what you paid for your cabin ... not "social strata" ... but what you paid.  Those paying the most dined in the best restaurant.   

Somewhat similar on Celebrity with Blu restaurant for the Aqua Class and Luminae restaurant for all suites.

12 minutes ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

To "Miss G" ... People could be in the cheapest cabin on the ship and pay for Club Orange ... not nearly as much as people paid for a Neptune or Penthouse suite.  So should they get the same perks?   No.

You answered your own question.  They paid for the perks.

4* and 5* Mariners get a lot of the same perks too (embarkation, tendering, etc.).  they can also be in the cheapest cabin on the ship.  They’ve earned their status.

Those who take Club Orange are paying for it and accordingly, they are entitled to what they paid for.

It will have little effect on you unless you are on a Pinnacle class ship.  

Trust me, if there are enough 4 and 5* Mariners on a cruise, the privileges are diluted anyways since priority tendering and embarkation can become moot.  JMO

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

4* and 5* Mariners get a lot of the same perks too (embarkation, tendering, etc.).  they can also be in the cheapest cabin on the ship.  They’ve earned their status.

Those who take Club Orange are paying for it and accordingly, they are entitled to what they paid for.

Trust me, if there are enough 4 and 5* Mariners on a cruise, the privileges are diluted anyways since priority tendering and embarkation can become moot.  JMO

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just now, Lovecruisestoo said:

Well 4-Star and 5- Star Mariners do not get to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grille unless they paid for a Neptune or Penthouse suite.   

We are 4-Star Mariners and we get a Neptune suite.    

And neither do people who paid for Club Orange.  Hasn’t that been clear yet???

They eat in the MDR on all ships but Pinnacle Class.  On Pinnacle Class, they eat in the Club Orange venue as do the NS and PS guests.  It’s a different venue with made to order dishes and the food is supposed to be better and fresher.

I hope that eventually, when enough people sign on for CO, that there is a dedicated space in the MDR for CO dinner on the non-Pinnacle ships.  It would be nice to have a less hectic area with servers assigned to just the one area.  They do this on Princess and it works well.  I would gladly pay for this kinder, gentler MDR experience.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

But they don’t get the same perqs. There is no large suite; no inclusions (laundry, water, champagne, reception, concierges, etc); and no access to the lounge.  All they are getting of any value, IMO, is access to a separate dining room.  You wouldn’t even be aware that they had purchased that access unless they told you.  

BTW, your class-less comment to Kazu shows what you cannot buy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, AncientWanderer said:

I hope that eventually, when enough people sign on for CO, that there is a dedicated space in the MDR for CO dinner on the non-Pinnacle ships.  It would be nice to have a less hectic area with servers assigned to just the one area.  They do this on Princess and it works well.  I would gladly pay for this kinder, gentler MDR experience.

I thought this was already being done in the non-pinnacle ships.  I read that there was a separate area of the main dining room just for Club Orange guests which had an upgraded menu consisting of a special nightly dish. 

11 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

I thought this was already being done in the non-pinnacle ships.  I read that there was a separate area of the main dining room just for Club Orange guests which had an upgraded menu consisting of a special nightly dish. 

Not yet, at least.  

CO guest have a preferred lineup (anytime dining) and have the menu but there is no special area and it is not a quieter one.  It’s part of the MDR, so far.

2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

IMHO in order for CO to work on non-Pinnacle ships, they are going to have to follow in Princess’ footsteps a lot closer that they are now before they will be able to designate a separate MDR area. 

For example they could get rid of the volunteer option of CO and switch some of the top category Signature and Vista suites to CO suites on their respective ships, adjust their price accordingly, add some additional perks like Princess does, and then they should have a quantifiable count every cruise to fill that area. This way those non-Neptune “suite” folks could start reaping some additional benefits for being in a suite. 

• Like 1