Anything Ovation advice or opinions

I'm sorry, I tried to do a search and I am just not finding what I am looking for. Thinking about taking the Ovation next year in Alaska. I have sailing RCCL many times, and have been on all the Radiance and Voyager class ships, and a few others, with Freedom being the largest. I am looking for pros and cons, what you liked the best, hidden gems, etc on the Ovation. I am comparing this to the Norwegian Joy and don't know which to choose. We are diamond on RCCL so it makes more sense to sail with Royal but that NCL ship looks awfully intriguing too. Thank you in advance for all your help. BTW, we are senior aged, so some of the amenities might not apply. lol

Edited by Choozin Croozin

The Quantum class ships are better designed for cold weather itineraries than the Norwegian ships.  They provide more indoor public spaces including unique venues such as Two70 and the SeaPlex.  You also won't find an indoor pool on Norwegian unless you are in The Haven.  The only downside to Ovation is the itinerary only makes 2 port stops in Alaska (and an extended stop in Victoria, BC), whereas Norwegian also stops in Ketchikan and cruises the highly rated Glacier Bay on select itineraries.

Edited by timf2001
  • Like 1

The Ovation is a favorite ship of mine,  Ifly, and flowrider, indoor bumper cars which converts to basketball courts and circus acts.  

That said, Alaska is about the ports and doing things, I wouldn’t pay extra for flowrider or Ifly in Alaska as you won’t get to enjoy them much.

JC

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That said, Alaska is about the ports and doing things, I wouldn’t pay extra for flowrider or Ifly in Alaska as you won’t get to enjoy them much

I got plenty of time on Explorer and would choose it for that. If one were to really do Alaska, not sure any cruise would do it justice.

The one thing I forgot to say is we did Alaska back in 2009 from Vancouver to Seward on the Radiance, which was an awesome ship to do Alaska. Yes, I am bummed that this only really does 3 ports (have not been to Victoria). I like that it leaves from Seattle too as we have not been there. I really was only planning on just seeing what Royal had to offer as I really was ready to book NCL. I got intrigued with the Ovation and now I am so confused as to what to do. 

On the Ovation, Wonderland is a must.  Jaime’s was also very good.  The ship is very nice, but not fun.  I think the absence of a Promanade tones things down quite a bit. The buffet was not good and a mob scene.  The food in the MDR was fair.  The cabins were very nice and the entertainment was very good.  Disembarkment at each port was disorganized and chaotic.  This was Asia, 5 months ago, but they did not have their act together

• We are looking at Ovation for Alaska in 2020.  I know the 7 night only has 2 port but the 11 night does 3 ports so for us it will be the cost of what a Grand Loft Suite will cost for those 2 itineraries.  I think the only NCL ship really good for Alaska is the new Bliss but after looking at the layout we seem to prefer the Quantium class with RCCL.  Also, the family got hooked on the ifly when aboard the Anthem in September and even though Alaska might be cool the ifly will still be a must and that is why we take coats, the balcony is a must to see the beautiful country.  I would love to hear comments on the 2 different itineraries and what was liked or disliked about them.

12 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

On the Ovation, Wonderland is a must.  Jaime’s was also very good.  The ship is very nice, but not fun.  I think the absence of a Promanade tones things down quite a bit. The buffet was not good and a mob scene.  The food in the MDR was fair.  The cabins were very nice and the entertainment was very good.  Disembarkment at each port was disorganized and chaotic.  This was Asia, 5 months ago, but they did not have their act together

WOW.  I do have to say, in general things have changed so much on Royal since I first started cruising them in 2005. Went on the Mariner when it was new. This is why I am considering trying NCL. I appreciate your input. You would've thought they would've had the bugs worked out by the time you cruised. I still love Royal and because we're Diamond, the complimentary drinks in the evening mean something to us. LOL... I will take your comments into consideration.

16 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:
  • We are looking at Ovation for Alaska in 2020.  I know the 7 night only has 2 port but the 11 night does 3 ports so for us it will be the cost of what a Grand Loft Suite will cost for those 2 itineraries.  I think the only NCL ship really good for Alaska is the new Bliss but after looking at the layout we seem to prefer the Quantium class with RCCL.  Also, the family got hooked on the ifly when aboard the Anthem in September and even though Alaska might be cool the ifly will still be a must and that is why we take coats, the balcony is a must to see the beautiful country.  I would love to hear comments on the 2 different itineraries and what was liked or disliked about them.

The ifly is one of the things that attracts me, however, is that something that a fairly fit 63 yo do it? 

I’ve been on ovation 4 times and booked in January around New Zealand.

Im 57 done the IFly many times,it’s okay ,the novelty wares off quickly like a lot of the teenagers things.

For me the big attraction is the entertainment.pixals in Two70’s is something you have to see.Music hall has a band every night,boleros a band, main theatre.

when the ship was new things were hit and miss but the ship has evolved .at first I didn’t like the ship but now I m looking forward to it.

• Like 1

We're Ovation to Alaska in May 2019, 11 nights from Vancouver returning to Seattle.  There are 4 ports - Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Juneau & Skagway. Plus scenic cruising to Hubbard Glacier & Endicott Arm Dawes  Glacier.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, Choozin Croozin said:

The ifly is one of the things that attracts me, however, is that something that a fairly fit 63 yo do it? 

We were on the Anthem in September with an average passenger age of 61 and there were MANY older than you that did fine. The rules say they will permit down to the age of 3 to participate!!!!

On 10/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, purdo said:

We're Ovation to Alaska in May 2019, 11 nights from Vancouver returning to Seattle.  There are 4 ports - Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Juneau & Skagway. Plus scenic cruising to Hubbard Glacier & Endicott Arm Dawes  Glacier.

I wish we could do that one. That sounds fantastic!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 3:42 AM, Chiliburn said:

I’ve been on ovation 4 times and booked in January around New Zealand.

Im 57 done the IFly many times,it’s okay ,the novelty wares off quickly like a lot of the teenagers things.

For me the big attraction is the entertainment.pixals in Two70’s is something you have to see.Music hall has a band every night,boleros a band, main theatre.

when the ship was new things were hit and miss but the ship has evolved .at first I didn’t like the ship but now I m looking forward to it.

I am booked on ovation of the seas in April picked it for its attraction, you will enjoy, does anybody know if I may use indoor pool as I am only in balcony, heard you can only use if in suite thanks sorry to barge in on your  question been to Alaska four times its breathtakingly enjoy

19 minutes ago, saltydog77 said:

I am booked on ovation of the seas in April picked it for its attraction, you will enjoy, does anybody know if I may use indoor pool as I am only in balcony, heard you can only use if in suite thanks sorry to barge in on your  question been to Alaska four times its breathtakingly enjoy

From what I understand the indoor pool was only for suites when Ovation was in Asia and they are a very different cruise. The ship was totally set up for the Chinese market and as it always came down here to Australia after that things were changed back to how they would normally be. Ovation has left the Asian market now and the noodle bar has been changed to a seafood restaurant I think and the indoor pool is back to adult only.

4 hours ago, saltydog77 said:

There’s 3 pool areas,the outdoor,indoor which has a retractable roof and the solarium.

It was only the solarium that was restricted access in Asia.you should be fine.

I just booked August 30, 2019 for the Alaska trip. One of the biggest draws for me was the indoor pools, so I hope at least one will be accessible to us! We're staying in an interior cabin.

Edited by Cyn874

On 10/26/2018 at 11:13 PM, Ellaleah said:

On 10/27/2018 at 11:42 AM, Choozin Croozin said:

WOW.  I do have to say, in general things have changed so much on Royal since I first started cruising them in 2005. Went on the Mariner when it was new. This is why I am considering trying NCL. I appreciate your input. You would've thought they would've had the bugs worked out by the time you cruised. I still love Royal and because we're Diamond, the complimentary drinks in the evening mean something to us. LOL... I will take your comments into consideration.

I would take that information with a grain of salt. Yes, the ship is nice, but also very fun. I guess the other poster just didn't care to look. Was on Anthem (sister of Ovation) and plenty of fun to do, whether it was iFly, Flowrider, bumper cars, circus classes, shows were amazing. While the promenade is toned down, I did not miss those stupid parades one bit! It was nice having a couple bars and the cafe and sorrentos all in one spot, and easily accessible from the music hall after dancing.