Increase in price of Classic and Standard Beverage Packages Nov. 1st

chamima

I just received an email informing me of an increase in the Standard and Classic beverage packages as of November 1st and asking me if I want to purchase one of them now for our upcoming cruise.

Since I already have the Premium package this doesn't affect me but I thought I'd give a heads up to anyone thinking about getting a beverage package.

(I'm curious if this will now bring the difference between Classic and Premium back to $10 , thus making everyone who upgraded for $14 furious)

Received the same email about the increase. When I looked at my Cruise Planner it showed Classic at $49.50 per day. That is a $5.50 discount (10%) off the $55.00 regular price. There was no indication what the new/increased price would be on November 1st. 

Lots of unknowns such as - What will be the difference vs Premium, Will the price per drink change from up to $9.00, Will The actual cost of drinks increase, Will X change the brands available in Classic change etc. Only time will tell. 

I got the same email, but it says that both packages are going up in price, so I bet they'll be increasing the Premium by at least as much, if not more, than they increase the Classic, keeping the separation at least $14.

I would hope that if they raise the individual drink prices, they'd raise the price limit in the Classic package, but as you said, only time will tell.

29 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I got the same email, but it says that both packages are going up in price, so I bet they'll be increasing the Premium by at least as much, if not more, than they increase the Classic, keeping the separation at least $14.

I would hope that if they raise the individual drink prices, they'd raise the price limit in the Classic package, but as you said, only time will tell.

We didn’t get the email but the OP said  the email they received said it was the Standard &Classic package prices were increasing.  They just recently increased the price of the Premium package by $4 pd, hope they aren’t increasing the Premium package again.

Edited by jelayne

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We didn’t get the email but the OP said  the email they received said it was the Standard &Classic package prices were increasing.  They just recently increased the price of the Premium package by $4 pd, hope they aren’t increasing the Premium package again.

Oh!  I didn't realize they'd already raised the price of the Premium package.  I'm new to Celebrity (first cruise is coming up on the 24th) so didn't have a comparison. 

I do have to agree that $69 pp pd seems plenty.  Especially as it's guaranteed money with guaranteed gratuities for the staff and it has been shown that folks that buy packages and excursions in advance end up spending more in total than if they'd have waited and spent as they went while onboard ship.  I prefer to prepay so that I can space out my expenses, but I do understand the "game" and how it does tend to increase what people spend.

I guess the bottom line is that we have to be savvy consumers.  Know what the "base" or "standard" price of something is and then compare every 'sale' that comes by and see if it is even a real discount and, if it is, if it's worth it.  I'm hoping for a Black Friday sale for next year's cruise, in all honesty.

I booked a cruise yesterday and was surprised with the promotional information (below).  Classic will be $65 per day starting 11/1/2018 with a $9 limit.  That's within $4 of premium, so I would expect Premium to go up another $6, putting it at $65 (classic) and $75 (premium)(but that is just my guess). 

Free Classic Beverage Package! ( PromotionAmount Value)

• Classic Beverage Package: The first two guests in a qualifying booking will receive a Classic Beverage Package (value of $130/day.) Classic Beverage Package option includes beer spirits, cocktails, and frozen drinks, wine by the glass up to $9 per serving, all soda selections, fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees, teas and non-premium bottled water, and server gratuities (amount based on gratuity guidelines). Terms of Celebritys Alcohol Policy apply, including a minimum drinking age, which varies by itinerary. Each guest must provide date of birth at the time of booking. Offer applicable to new reservations by US/CA residents, in ocean view or higher staterooms. Offer is capacity controlled, availability varies by sailing and eligible staterooms may sell out. Offer applies to select sailings 4-night and longer cruises that depart on or after November 1, 2018. Offer excludes Galapagos, Transatlantic, Transpacific and Repositioning cruises. 

Edited by pd7277

3 hours ago, pd7277 said:

I booked a cruise yesterday and was surprised with the promotional information (below).  Classic will be $65 per day starting 11/1/2018 with a $9 limit.  That's within $4 of premium, so I would expect Premium to go up another $6, putting it at $65 (classic) and $75 (premium)(but that is just my guess). 

Free Classic Beverage Package! ( PromotionAmount Value)

• Classic Beverage Package: The first two guests in a qualifying booking will receive a Classic Beverage Package (value of $130/day.) Classic Beverage Package option includes beer spirits, cocktails, and frozen drinks, wine by the glass up to $9 per serving, all soda selections, fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees, teas and non-premium bottled water, and server gratuities (amount based on gratuity guidelines). Terms of Celebritys Alcohol Policy apply, including a minimum drinking age, which varies by itinerary. Each guest must provide date of birth at the time of booking. Offer applicable to new reservations by US/CA residents, in ocean view or higher staterooms. Offer is capacity controlled, availability varies by sailing and eligible staterooms may sell out. Offer applies to select sailings 4-night and longer cruises that depart on or after November 1, 2018. Offer excludes Galapagos, Transatlantic, Transpacific and Repositioning cruises. 

I believe the $130 savings mentioned is the Classic with the 18% gratuity added.

the Classic may be the same $55 plus 18% gratuity.  ($65)

it is not unusual for someone to get to get confused about whether a number includes the gratuity.  It seems like a strange coincidence that Celebrity would be increasing the cost of the Classic package by 18%.

I also got the email and in reading this thread was surprised to read the difference in price to upgrade from classic to premium was only $14. I've checked my cruise planner and the difference on Canadian website is $25.  Even taking exchange rate into account the Canadian price should only be about $19.  

I've looked at both US and Canadian website and found something interesting:

US Website

$55 for Classic

$69 for Premium

Canadian website

$65 for Classic

$90 for Premium

The difference in price for premium in Canadian just doesn't add up.

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I believe the $130 savings mentioned is the Classic with the 18% gratuity added.

the Classic may be the same $55 plus 18% gratuity.  ($65)

it is not unusual for someone to get to get confused about whether a number includes the gratuity.  It seems like a strange coincidence that Celebrity would be increasing the cost of the Classic package by 18%.

You are correct.  It's the added gratuity, not an increase.

3 hours ago, bebe08 said:

I also got the email and in reading this thread was surprised to read the difference in price to upgrade from classic to premium was only $14. I've checked my cruise planner and the difference on Canadian website is $25.  Even taking exchange rate into account the Canadian price should only be about $19.  

US Website

$55 for Classic

$69 for Premium

Canadian website

$65 for Classic

$90 for Premium

Obviously an error on the Canadian website.

3 hours ago, bebe08 said:

US Website

$55 for Classic

$69 for Premium

Canadian website

$65 for Classic

$90 for Premium

The baked-in  exchange rates aren't always rational. Rounding, plucking a number from the air....

Looks like you'll get a slight deal on the Classic so if you have to have it, buy it in advance, and upgrade to Premium on ship if the differential is USD 10 + whatever.

Either at the old rate is more than what my wife and I paid last year for our TPAC cruise (per diem + HSC)

On 10/26/2018 at 11:13 AM, RICCruisers said:

Received the same email about the increase. When I looked at my Cruise Planner it showed Classic at $49.50 per day. That is a $5.50 discount (10%) off the $55.00 regular price. There was no indication what the new/increased price would be on November 1st. 

Lots of unknowns such as - What will be the difference vs Premium, Will the price per drink change from up to $9.00, Will The actual cost of drinks increase, Will X change the brands available in Classic change etc. Only time will tell. 

The cost of drinks have and will continue to increase - that's why they already dropped some drinks from the Classic (e.g. Baileys and Grand Marnier.)

Hopefully they will increase both the ceiling price and package cost and bring some of the drinks back. Since I already have the Classic as a perk on a Sep 2019 cruise it's a freebie!

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Well it's official...Just looked at Celebrity web site.....New drink package prices are reflected as of today....Classic package went up to $59/pp and Standard went up to $49/pp. No increase on Premium.

Edited by bajathree

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Well it's official...Just looked at Celebrity web site.....New drink package prices are reflected as of today....Classic package went up to $59/pp and Standard went up to $49/pp. No increase on Premium.

24 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That shud move the price to upgrade back to $10 pd Plus 18%.  Guess moving the Premium up and the resulting  $14+ upgrade price wasn’t successful. 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, chamima said:

I just received an email informing me of an increase in the Standard and Classic beverage packages as of November 1st and asking me if I want to purchase one of them now for our upcoming cruise.

Since I already have the Premium package this doesn't affect me but I thought I'd give a heads up to anyone thinking about getting a beverage package.

(I'm curious if this will now bring the difference between Classic and Premium back to $10 , thus making everyone who upgraded for $14 furious)

And, as I said in my very first post - what happens to the people who have paid $14 to upgrade?

Also  curious what happens to the price of drinks with this across the board increase.

Edited by chamima

17 minutes ago, chamima said:

And, as I said in my very first post - what happens to the people who have paid $14 to upgrade?

Also  curious what happens to the price of drinks with this across the board increase.

I upgraded during the "sale", but I still ended up paying more to upgrade than $10 + 18%.  It's less than $1.50 pp pd, so $21.  I'm not too fussed, and I know Celebrity won't be refunding any money.  But maybe this means that they'll increase the max value of drinks in the Classic package?  Probably not as their bottom line is to convince us to part with as much money as possible, but it'd still be nice to feel less taken advantage of.

We sail longer cruises and when the change in the Premium package price was announced I calculated that the difference (between the $10 and the $14 ) would have been $70 for the two of us so I upgraded before the change took effect.

But had I not heard about the change in advance and, let's say, sailed in the several months where the difference was $14/pp/per day and paid that $70 - I would be JUSTIFIABLY so, so mad at Celebrity right now.

Celebrity is a large corporate entity and it certainly looks like they aren't thinking ahead about the repercussions of some of their decisions. 😡

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

X Website does show the new bev package prices have changed to:

Prem: $69

Classic: $59

Standard: $49

But via our cruise planner our sailing (Dec. 9 Silhouette booked in May) still shows the old prices:

Classic: $55

Standard: $45 

Wonder if the new pricing will only take effect w/ pax who book starting ~11/1/18?

We've been watching this topic because we upped our Classic package (a perk) to the Prem during a sale a while ago but if the cost per day for the upgrade is now less than we paid, we can still get a refund & just re-buy the upgraded package at the lower price. 

Since, as of today our cruise planner shows the old prices the difference makes the price we paid during the sale ($13.17 including gratuity) the best deal but if anyone who's already booked sees the bev package pricing update in their planner I'd be interested to hear this news...!

44 minutes ago, chamima said:

Not sure about everyone, but I am leaving on a cruise next week and the prices have not changed.  Still $55 / $69.   Perhaps for paid in full bookings there is no change?

1 minute ago, mmsJack said:

But via our cruise planner our sailing (Dec. 9 Silhouette booked in May) still shows the old prices:

Wonder if the new pricing will only take effect w/ pax who book starting ~11/1/18?

We've been watching this topic because we upped our Classic package (a perk) to the Prem during a sale a while ago but if the cost per day for the upgrade is now less than we paid, we can still get a refund & just re-buy the upgraded package at the lower price. 

Since, as of today our cruise planner shows the old prices the difference makes the price we paid during the sale ($13.17 including gratuity) the best deal but if anyone who's already booked sees the bev package pricing update in their planner I'd be interested to hear this news...!

I noticed that the pricing in my planner for NYE sailing hasn't change to reflect the new pricing either. Was wondering same thing that only may apply to bookings after Nov 1

23 minutes ago, mmsJack said:

Do you have a TA?

Celebrity's IT is notoriously terrible so it might be totally possible that they just haven't fixed it in your cruise planner yet.

(Our cruises routinely totally disappear from our Cruise Planner and I have to re-enter the information)

The reason I asked if you had a TA was that they could probably get an answer from Celebrity. If you booked direct you can try to call but the people who answer the phones aren't always very well informed.

No matter when you booked or when you sail you should only have to pay $10 to upgrade if that's the current difference.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Probably the same thing that happened to people who bought CBP when it included Baileys and Grand Marnier and then they deleted them from the package. Out of luck.

We cruise 02/02/19 with Classic beverage package included.  I've been watching the price which had been $16.20 as I recall, looking for a sale.  Today price says $11.80, so $10 plus 18% tips.  No "sale" price listed.  Wonder if it is time to book or wait for a sale?   They recently raised the premium price will they bump it up again?