TACKY TACKY!! LOBSTER $$

UAL_FlyGal

38 minutes ago, UAL_FlyGal said:

Someone currently on the Regal said there was a charge for it in the MDR.  :classic_sad:

No it is not new,  they are  (steaks/lobster/Crown Grill types) you can purchase for a fee.

We had the same on the Regal in 2017 and the Ruby in March 2017......

Seems it comes and goes for some reason.

The regular lobster although not the greatest is still no charge.

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No,  they are  (steaks/lobster) you can purchase for a fee.

The regular lobster although not the greatest is still no charge.

Now that is an understatement. 😛

Ordering lobster in the Steak House is maybe a step above ordering it from the MDR.  The only lobster I've ever ordered that was impressive was on a Carnival cruise in their Steak House.  The lobster tail was huge, never have seen a lobster tail on any ship as big as that one.  It was well worth the charge in the Steak House on Carnival.  The lobster tail served on Princess are small - maybe a mouth full.

1 hour ago, UAL_FlyGal said:

Someone currently on the Regal said there was a charge for it in the MDR.  :classic_sad:

Fake outrage! They are among the extra charge entrees from the Crown Grill available as an alternative in the MDR.  As has been stated the free lobster on formal night is still available. People need to check things out before ranting. The better way to post this would be to post such an inquiry with a title like "Is it True that Princess is Charging for Lobster in the MDR?" rather than screaming "Tacky".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elliair said:

Ordering lobster in the Steak House is maybe a step above ordering it from the MDR.  The only lobster I've ever ordered that was impressive was on a Carnival cruise in their Steak House.  The lobster tail was huge, never have seen a lobster tail on any ship as big as that one.  It was well worth the charge in the Steak House on Carnival.  The lobster tail served on Princess are small - maybe a mouth full.

The first year of the Crown Grill in 2006 they had 12 ounce tails and live Maine lobster. Its was $25 plus $9 upcharge for the lobster. It was outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Fake outrage! They are among the extra charge entrees from the Crown Grill available as an alternative in the MDR.  As has been stated the free lobster on formal night is still available. People need to check things out before ranting. The better way to post this would be to post such an inquiry with a title like "Is it True that Princess is Charging for Lobster in the MDR?" rather than screaming "Tacky".

Nope!!  Leaving my heading AS IS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, antsp said:

Cheap and tacky, take the shine of Cruising 

Just how is it cheap and tacky plus taking the shine out of cruising? The free lobster is still available on one of the formal nights. No one is forcing anyone to order said upcharge entrees. I can see how this would allow cruisers who could not get Crown Grill reservations or someone whose dining partner did not want to dine there to enjoy an entree from the grill. I do not want to hear the old tired contentions that this, among other things represent yet another cutback. I know there have been cutbacks. Otherwise Princess could not maintain competitive fares. If you want luxury and upscale dining be prepared to shell out the cash for the luxury lines.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, nona0541 said:

The small tails that are served are usually what are refered to as "rock lobster" or "spiney lobster".  They are only good for tails.

21 minutes ago, nona0541 said:

The small tails that are served are usually what are refered to as "rock lobster" or "spiney lobster".  They are only good for tails.

Actually, the lobster tails served are still good when not way over cooked.  Unfortunately, they most often are not.  :classic_mellow:

Edited by OCruisers

Question: Does anybody know if the upsell lobster is actually of a decent size and better than the "free" lobster on Formal Night? I absolutely love good lobster but have never had good lobster on Princess. One of these days we will manage a New England cruise and, when we stop in Bar Harbor, I will eat lobster ashore. (I'll still just get the tail though. Hope that's not considered "Tacky". :classic_rolleyes:)

23 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I had a lobster in Bar Harbour and all 4 of us agreed it was the worst lobster any of us had eaten.

Oh NO!!! I am truly dismayed to hear that. I live in California and really good lobster is, shall we say, "difficult" to obtain. The best I ever had was at a company Christmas dinner. It was a small company and the owner had booked a dining room in a local steak house. He had the head cook come in special for the evening and had some absolutely HUGE lobster tails flown in. I have never in my life tasted lobster like that. It was beyond wonderful. (My wife ate half of hers, took the other half home, and then took it to our oldest son's house and shared it with him the next day. Like I said, HUGE.)

I have always heard that Bar Harbor is a great place to get lobster. You have shattered my dream.  (I may have to go off and cry for a while now... :classic_ohmy:). Sooooooo.... If the Bar Harbor lobster was terrible where do you suggest we eat on a New England cruise for the best lobster? (Do you suppose it may just have been the particular venue? If so, can you tell me what it was so I can avoid eating there?) I really do need to eat fantastic lobster at least one more time.

• Like 1

I had great lobster in Halifax on our first Princess cruise to New England/Canada and then also in Boston. I did not try it in Bar Harbor. We had lunch at Jordan's Restaurant and enjoyed a special for the day that I think was haddock in a mornay sauce.

52 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Oh NO!!! I am truly dismayed to hear that. I live in California and really good lobster is, shall we say, "difficult" to obtain. The best I ever had was at a company Christmas dinner. It was a small company and the owner had booked a dining room in a local steak house. He had the head cook come in special for the evening and had some absolutely HUGE lobster tails flown in. I have never in my life tasted lobster like that. It was beyond wonderful. (My wife ate half of hers, took the other half home, and then took it to our oldest son's house and shared it with him the next day. Like I said, HUGE.)

I have always heard that Bar Harbor is a great place to get lobster. You have shattered my dream.  (I may have to go off and cry for a while now... :classic_ohmy:). Sooooooo.... If the Bar Harbor lobster was terrible where do you suggest we eat on a New England cruise for the best lobster? (Do you suppose it may just have been the particular venue? If so, can you tell me what it was so I can avoid eating there?) I really do need to eat fantastic lobster at least one more time.

Plenty of Lobster Pounds in Maine..pick out a live lobster and they will steam it for you on the spot

I never order lobster on a cruise ship. Having lived in the Boston area for over 35 years in a town where there were lobster pots all over the harbor and having fresh caught lobster was the norm, ship lobster is a poor substitute. 

Any lobster north of Cape Cod is cold water lobster. Doesn’t matter whether it’s in Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine. It’s the same lobster. They don’t know about state lines. 🙂 

I have mixed feelings about the extra charge items on the menus. I’ll be on the Ruby in just over couple of weeks and will decide then whether it’s worth it. Chances are that if I have extra OBC, it will be.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Question: Does anybody know if the upsell lobster is actually of a decent size and better than the "free" lobster on Formal Night? I absolutely love good lobster but have never had good lobster on Princess. One of these days we will manage a New England cruise and, when we stop in Bar Harbor, I will eat lobster ashore. (I'll still just get the tail though. Hope that's not considered "Tacky". :classic_rolleyes:)

My lobster in the crown grill was smaller than the free in the MDR

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have always heard that Bar Harbor is a great place to get lobster. You have shattered my dream.  (I may have to go off and cry for a while now... :classic_ohmy:). Sooooooo.... If the Bar Harbor lobster was terrible where do you suggest we eat on a New England cruise for the best lobster? 

Thrak, when you get to Bar Harbor, be brave and order a whole lobster and have them steam it for you. The claws aren’t that hard to crack, and there’s plenty of meat to be found besides the tail. Fresh not frozen lobster is a gift from heaven. 

You can get lobster throughout New England, but the coast is where they come out of the water and onto your plate. It’s all good!