New Mystery Meal Specialty Dining?

POA1

Secret Mystery Family Dinner Spotted on HAL Site on Halloween: Is it a trick or a treat?

I logged into my account on the HAL website today and spotted something called "Family Style Dinner" for $20.00 per person.  It's being held in Canaletto on Christmas Eve only, but there's really no information other than the price and the venue. Spooky!

This is how it shows up on my booking screen. (I obfuscated my name and booking number because I'm afraid that everyone will try to send me gifts.)

01-mystery-meal.thumb.jpg.9e488192d1f9c1eb5b60d8623ba53cc4.jpg

The description doesn't add much in the way of detail.  The "photos" aren't much help either.

02-mystery-meal.thumb.jpg.b7bd01ad4b931c16a20b7b50ecef4ed7.jpg

There's a link to a sample menu.

03--mystery-meal.jpg.16fedded34d8a604e748e9493dabb761.jpg

But there's nothing there.  Very mysterious.

04--mystery-meal.thumb.jpg.f0e65276618c02a364cfba08173377f4.jpg

zoinks2.jpg.8e813d44964dae7bda7b0de281d3be91.jpg

Edited by POA1

Sounds like one more scheme to get rid of their creepy liver they tried to dress up as "Fegato alla Veneziana" on our last cruise. I love when then MDR does Liver and Onions; but in the hands of the Canaletto crew it was indeed was very scary.

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Maybe the price covers the whole family...

No, it's per person if you try to book it. There are two seatings, 5:15 PM and 8:15 PM.  You cannot book regular Canaletto that night. I'm kind of intrigued because it's 33% more than regular Canaletto. However, it's Christmas Eve and a sea day which will be our second Gala night. We won't give up the regular 2nd Gala Night meal, but inquiring minds want to know what the heck this is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Maybe the price covers the whole family...

Not according to the "bolded" comment in OP's  Post below!

10 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Secret Mystery Family Dinner Spotted on HAL Site on Halloween: Is it a trick or a treat?

zoinks2.jpg.3f9e66dc07e5d2dbec40b8ec01997db0.jpg

I logged into my account on the HAL website today and spotted something called "Family Style Dinner" for $20.00 per person.  It's being held in Canaletto on Christmas Eve only, but there's really no information other than the price and the venue. Spooky!

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

I checked our cruise and it is not there, must be a Christmas special!

6 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Sounds interesting.

Are you going to sign up for it?

If it were Christmas Day, I'd consider it in place of the Culinary Council menu, but we happen to enjoy our more formal nights.

3 minutes ago, CherryG said:

Would family style happen to mean they'll bring platters and bowls of food to the table, for people to eat like they were at home?  Just a thought.

Yes, but that's more or less how Canaletto normally operates.  I'll keep an eye on the offering in my HAL account and post an update as soon as I see something.

Hopefully they will improve the detail with a true sample menu?

If not, you could drop into the Canaletto to ask to see the menu.  I'm intrigued too. 😉

Normally I'm not a Canaletto fan but I really enjoy it on the Prinsendam.  It's a step up IMO.  A good Canaletto is enjoyable.  A mediocre one isn't worth the time or effort let alone the $ 😉 

1 minute ago, Stratheden said:

It is the same on the Noordam.  We are onboard for Christmas and NY's Eve.  The are offering Christmas in Canaletto for $20 and NYE in the Pinnacle for $49.  Neither menu is available. :classic_sad:n

I guess we'll have to watch and wait. 

33 minutes ago, Stratheden said:

The Canaletto special is available every night of my cruise on the Noordam. 

The $20 family meal?  We have regular Canaletto (multiple seatings, half hour increments from 5:30 - 9:00 PM) every day except Christmas Eve. Those are $15.  December 24th has 2 seatings, 5:15 & 8:15 PM, and it's $20.

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

That was my thought, too. Italian restaurant; Christmas Eve. Do the math.

Did you see the instructions on getting rid of the pop-up notification?