Think "Free" Airfare will actually end tonight?

JamieLogical

I am trying to book a cruise for sometime between late March and early May to do with my sister, but the prices on everything are ridiculously over-inflated with the current "free airfare" promotion going on. We really need to book ASAP, because my sister has to give quite a bit of notice for time off and her employer is already pressing her to put in any time off requests through May. If they extend this promo past tonight, I think I will just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra for the airfare we won't even use. Maybe I can re-book if/when the prices drop, as long as I am still outside of final payment...

It really is nuts right now. Usually the price difference between a Balcony Sail Away rate (no perks) and the lowest Balcony category with perks is $100 or $150. But since this free airfare promo went into effect, which doesn't apply to Sail Away staterooms, the price difference is now $350-500, depending on the sailing.

Yes, we've been waiting as well. NCL keeps recycling the Free Airfare and saying it ends in two days and then after two days it starts all over.  Groundhog day. 

I wish NCL would stop giving away free stuff, it's too expensive for us.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just book it to get in with the current perks otherwise and if the price drops with the promo going away, then you can rebook and reprice at the new price.  Not rocket science... And what are deposits right now, $50 still?

If you're a gambling type, you could just put in the request for the time off and then wait and possibly book a last minute cruise...  Or wait till April 15th weekend when they will almost assuredly run the tax free weekend incentives which can save $200-$400 depending on the itinerary.  I booked Encore as soon as they went on sale to Latitudes members and then rebooked a few weeks/month later when they ran the tax free weekend sail because it saved us another $300+ on the cruise.  Was already getting 20% off the cruise fare which amounted to $630 for both passengers and then with the tax free sale, we saved almost $1000 total on the cruise.

We booked the Bliss again for a May trip to Alaska even though we wanted to try out the Joy, but with the Joy's "free" air it was $840 more for the same type of room. We can fly Southwest for just over $400. I might change to the Joy if the promotion stops and prices adjust.

9 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

Does the cruise have to be with NCL?

I'm wondering why so persistent that it has to be on NCL?

Shop around there are deals to be found. 

For me, I kkke the itinerary with the Bliss the best. It spends 13 hours in Skagway so I can travel to the Yukon and visits Glacier Bay.  Celebrity has a tempting deal right now, but the thermal spa on the Bliss has me sold.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am trying to book a cruise for sometime between late March and early May to do with my sister, but the prices on everything are ridiculously over-inflated with the current "free airfare" promotion going on. We really need to book ASAP, because my sister has to give quite a bit of notice for time off and her employer is already pressing her to put in any time off requests through May. If they extend this promo past tonight, I think I will just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra for the airfare we won't even use. Maybe I can re-book if/when the prices drop, as long as I am still outside of final payment...

It really is nuts right now. Usually the price difference between a Balcony Sail Away rate (no perks) and the lowest Balcony category with perks is $100 or $150. But since this free airfare promo went into effect, which doesn't apply to Sail Away staterooms, the price difference is now $350-500, depending on the sailing.

Jaime you're a cruiseaholic! I love it! I'm with you, also waiting for the dumb "free airfare" promo to end before I book. The one thing I wonder is if you were to book right now and because the airlines typically don't allow penalty free cancellations, would you incur a fee for rebooking at the lower rate and effectively canceling the airline tickets?

4 hours ago, basicprincess24 said:

I agree! We want to book for May but have been waiting until this promo ends. 

Glad to see another NCL fanatic from the Bay Area on the forums! 😎

• Like 1

I bit the bullet and booked with the free air promo.  The cruise was slightly higher than without the promo but the total trip with airfare was cheaper by about two hundred dollars.   Here’s what I learned today about the air promo.  I wanted to fly in a day earlier than my cruise, there is a 50 dollar per person fee to do that.   Airfare is booked 75 days out and is on Delta, UNited, AMerican and Air Canada.   You don’t get to pick the carrier.  If a direct flight is available that’s what the book.    I’m 100 days out so fingers crossed everything ends up being what it’s suppose to be.   

50 minutes ago, Beachedgirl said:

I bit the bullet and booked with the free air promo.  The cruise was slightly higher than without the promo but the total trip with airfare was cheaper by about two hundred dollars.   Here’s what I learned today about the air promo.  I wanted to fly in a day earlier than my cruise, there is a 50 dollar per person fee to do that.   Airfare is booked 75 days out and is on Delta, UNited, AMerican and Air Canada.   You don’t get to pick the carrier.  If a direct flight is available that’s what the book.    I’m 100 days out so fingers crossed everything ends up being what it’s suppose to be.   

Thats why I won't take the free air.  They will put you on the cheapest flight that will get you from point A to B and they always get you to the port late.  I want to enjoy my day 1.  Plus flying in the day of I would be exhausted.

This was my experience on Oct. 24th.  I called NCL to book a cruise for Feb., had the cabin and price already looked up.  When asked if I wanted the airfare perk, said no, the price the agent came up with after that was $500.00 lower than what I had found online.  Was very surprised, can only think that I passed on the "free airfare", I got the amount reduced on our cruise.????  I was a happy cruiser.

2 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

This was my experience on Oct. 24th.  I called NCL to book a cruise for Feb., had the cabin and price already looked up.  When asked if I wanted the airfare perk, said no, the price the agent came up with after that was $500.00 lower than what I had found online.  Was very surprised, can only think that I passed on the "free airfare", I got the amount reduced on our cruise.????  I was a happy cruiser.

Was this through your Norwegian PCC? If so, I may just call mine tomorrow if the promo is extended!

I just called the general phone number.  No PCC.  good luck.  I was very surprised.  I was ready to pay the price from the online search.  I did not go all the way through the booking, it may have offered a discount at the end?? don't know, but give it a try

I don't think it's going to end until after Veterans Day.    People like the idea of inclusivity.    Or at least they think they do.  Because it makes it easy for them

Book as long as it's far enough out so you don't have to make final payment til after the New Year. 

I have a cruise I want to book also, but it's within final payment.  So I can't.   So I might be waiting til January to book a cruise for Feb 🙂

Edited by MaryZ

So, not only did free airfare not end, but the Take All 5 promo is back. No changes in prices on ANY of the cruises I was considering. Just going to have to call my PCC today and see if there is anything she can do. If not, I will just book what I think will be the best option and re-book if/when prices finally come down.

Just checked the Terms & Conditions and the new expiration for the airfare promo is November 6.

Edited by JamieLogical

13 hours ago, cksv said:

Jaime you're a cruiseaholic! I love it! I'm with you, also waiting for the dumb "free airfare" promo to end before I book. The one thing I wonder is if you were to book right now and because the airlines typically don't allow penalty free cancellations, would you incur a fee for rebooking at the lower rate and effectively canceling the airline tickets?

NCL usually doesn't book your airfare until within 60 days anyway.