YC Drink Package Changes?

marcoigna

Just now, sverigecruiser said:

I assume that isn't included, right?

It IS included but I should explain.  The YC normally has Nicholas Feuillate which is a

relatively inexpensive French Champagne. But we have been told that the normal shipment of NF missed the ship so the beverage department substituted Mumm which is arguably a step up.  No French Champagne is listed on the new YC drink list, but it’s available for the asking.  

Much has been posted about the future drink selection but we can only comment on the here and now.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It IS included but I should explain.  The YC normally has Nicholas Feuillate which is a

relatively inexpensive French Champagne. But we have been told that the normal shipment of NF missed the ship so the beverage department substituted Mumm which is arguably a step up.  No French Champagne is listed on the new YC drink list, but it’s available for the asking.  

Much has been posted about the future drink selection but we can only comment on the here and now.

Hank

Ok, then I understand.

Nicolas Feuilatte is okay but I agree with you that Mumm is better.

NF wasn't listed in the YC menu when we cruised on Meraviglia in July 2017 but since we knew it was avalible we asked for it. (Thank you for that information Beamafar!)

I now assume that NF will still be included when we board Divina February 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, strikerSBG said:

Can anybody tell me why some people go crazy if they get free Champagne? Seems to me that the cruise could be ***** - if Champagne is free everything is fine... 😉

Champagne make everyday better! At home or on a ship!

I don't care what kind of Ica cream I can get but if they give me Champagne I will be happy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No French Champagne is listed on the new YC drink list, but it’s available for the asking.  

It wasn't on the old YC menus, either, despite the fact that it was included.

(Bytheway, all champagne is French).

Just now, Beamafar said:

It wasn't on the old YC menus, either, despite the fact that it was included.

(Bytheway, all champagne is French).

Yes and no.  While we do agree with you in principle, there is a 100 year old loophole that allows some California vineyards to label their sparkly as California Champagne.  Go figure.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes and no.  While we do agree with you in principle, there is a 100 year old loophole that allows some California vineyards to label their sparkly as California Champagne.  Go figure.

Hank

Fair enough, Hank.

I imagine that must get up the nose of (some) French!  😊

20 hours ago, Beamafar said:

TBH, I'm not overly concerned about the changes, Frank - they seem to be very minor.  We'd never miss it if Gelato was never available onboard, anyway, so, if it's not included, it won't impact us.  We're just eternally grateful to be able to sail in YC (for now, anyway!  The way prices are going, it could be our last year doing it!  Time will tell).

Anyway, I can't understand the fuss being made about gelato not being included in the new "drinks" packages.  It's less than €3 a serving and, certainly, those from the US seem to get great OBC offers from TAs (something we never get here) which would well cover the cost for several helpings over the course of the cruise!

Hi Bea. Taking the revised cost out of the equation PP is perfectly good enough & I will use it even without gelato. As you say it & other items using it, like the milkshakes etc, are all under $5-6, so no big deal just maybe a waistline conscience ***** that you do not need 3 a day! It is the other rumours that bother me if true...Venchi drinks & speciality coffee's, that would be a bummer if lost!

As for the current hot topic ….YC prices. Awkward one for me as I have not sampled & doubt I will, as even at the old prices it is prohibitive for me as we like volume holidays & using YC would damage any thoughts of 3/4 vacations per year. You should never comment on things you know nothing about, so I have no valid opinions on the actual experience, but as an outsider looking in it reads to me like a different cruise within a cruise & I think someone has suggested this within this thread in the last 24hrs.

Some seem to revel in the glitz & glamour of the whole thing & why not....If you have dealt out 'sidari's £5000 for two & 7days' then expectation, appreciation & even status is a given I would say. Equally the decision to now not pay this & even more I respect too. For reasons stated I certainly would not, I prefer the best drink package to enhance my experience, then it is just about the line & the ship? For me, despite all of these changes & ripples in their waters MSC remain a good option, not the only option but one I sincerely value :classic_smile:.

For all the other happy pro-patrons on here I just hope they continue to satisfy you, but I fear many more changes will damage such hopes!    

18 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Champagne make everyday better! At home or on a ship!

I don't care what kind of Ica cream I can get but if they give me Champagne I will be happy!

That is a matter of opinion - I don't particularly care for either and I really don't think champagne makes any day better, as a matter of fact, I would prefer a good cabernet sauvignon or a Sauvignon Blanc at any time.  Champagne, whether it's made in the French region or not is not my cup of tea at all. 

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that high Yacht Club prices is better than lower prices and impossible to find a cabin to book!

I imagine soon the prices for the YC will be up to par with NCL Haven.  It will still be impossible to find one since there are many other factors besides the fare that prevents you from finding a cabin - TA allocation and the limited number of suites are just a couple.  It is true for all cruise lines not just for MSC.  They eventually open up 60 days before sailing date or in NCL/Royal's case, they come up for bid.

7 hours ago, strikerSBG said:

Sorry but that sounds like spoken by a real snob... Maybe a better way would be to book early.

We are cruising on the Divina in February and booked that cruise in July last Year, more than 500 days before the cruise. In March we found out that the cruise we originally booked will be next years "Holistic Holiday at Sea" with a group of 2000 vegans so we changed to another date and were able to get one of the last Yacht Club suites more than 300 days before the cruise.

I'm lucky so I can know for sure if I can cruise 500 days later but I should still prefer if it was easier to find a Yacht Club suite if booking later.

I'm defenitely not a snob.

2 hours ago, nednrom said:

That is a matter of opinion - I don't particularly care for either and I really don't think champagne makes any day better, as a matter of fact, I would prefer a good cabernet sauvignon or a Sauvignon Blanc at any time.  Champagne, whether it's made in the French region or not is not my cup of tea at all. 

My opinion is that Champagne make every day better.

Had a hard week at work last week so we decided that our dinner on friday should be a bottle of Champagne and some sandwiches made to match the Champagne and that defenitely made the day better!

2 hours ago, nednrom said:

I imagine soon the prices for the YC will be up to par with NCL Haven.  It will still be impossible to find one since there are many other factors besides the fare that prevents you from finding a cabin - TA allocation and the limited number of suites are just a couple.  It is true for all cruise lines not just for MSC.  They eventually open up 60 days before sailing date or in NCL/Royal's case, they come up for bid.

It doesn't help me if suites open up 60 days before sailing because it's then to late to book my vacation.

I'm no expert but I really believe that more people wants to book YC if the prices are lower so I really think that if they raised the prices it should be easier to find a suite to book on many cruises.

I rather pay Haven prices for the YC than don't cruise at all and if all YC suites are booked when I try to book I won't cruise.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Beamafar said:

TBH, I'm not overly concerned about the changes, Frank - they seem to be very minor.  We'd never miss it if Gelato was never available onboard, anyway, so, if it's not included, it won't impact us.  We're just eternally grateful to be able to sail in YC (for now, anyway!  The way prices are going, it could be our last year doing it!  Time will tell).

Anyway, I can't understand the fuss being made about gelato not being included in the new "drinks" packages.  It's less than €3 a serving and, certainly, those from the US seem to get great OBC offers from TAs (something we never get here) which would well cover the cost for several helpings over the course of the cruise!

Hi, Beamafar!...

Bea: That fuss we're talking about is technically called on Economics Sciences the Product Distinctiveness. If there were something on where MSC used to have such a very successful distinctive element amongst the rest of the industry that was certainly the inclusion of the now superb Venchi Gelato on their drinks packages. Best Gelato at sea available at an affordable price for all!... 🙂

TBHH; MSC has a very nice product in general... But at the end of the day they also have some certain inconsistencies that by the way do not justify their current price jump. TBHH if I see 3 or 4 products that seem to mean the same for me, I'll go with the one that is more transparent and more efficient. No discussions on that. For now I'm grateful that I can still to find some nice options from their charter partners here in Europe. Otherwise my money would go elsewhere, where the same price pays for at least a little bit higher quality. In no way I'd pay an RCI Oasis class price for an MSC cruise! And their prices are becoming increasingly similar these days except for the true suites...

...Ah, Yay! Yes, I'd like to go on the YC, of course... But for now it's out of reach for me... Maybe one day... Meanwhile I don't believe their prices to go far away from what they're now. At least they have what seems to be recognized as the smallest true suites at see. Service matters, but for true suites guests real estate space matters even more. Await mid march next year and you'll see the usual promos here and there!... 🙂 And TBHH from where I live, if I try to search for out of peak season cruises there are some interesting sailings on the YC with quite nice prices out there, especially on the older ships with the restaurant outside the enclave...

Have a nice day!... 🙂

As ever, Nunagoras, I agree with a lot of what you post.

I, too, am reluctant to pay RC/Celebrity/Princess prices for an MSC cruise.  I've always made the point that MSC was a great value product and accepted their shortcomings due to what we were paying.  However, the prices for 2019 and 2020 (so far) are beyond ridiculous - especially for Autumn/Winter Med cruises.

I accept that the drinks package prices were due for an increase;  but, with the increase AND removal of heretofore included items, it's a double blow.

The way YC prices are going and then causing confusion over what's included drinks-wise, so soon after they introduced the inclusion of the Deluxe package (to stay on-topic) I'm finding it hard to imagine that we'll book YC after 2019.  As wonderful an experience that it is - and there's nothing to come close to it elsewhere - we're going to have to weigh up whether we'll want to make the sacrifice and cruise less or forgo the YC to sail more often.  FWP!  :classic_rolleyes:  (Sorry - First World Problems)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that high Yacht Club prices is better than lower prices and impossible to find a cabin to book!

The Yacht Club has been a big hit with MSC cruisers.  In fact, it was recently announced that MSC is going to build 4 small Yacht Club vessels where the YC concept will be shipwide.  Essentially competing with lines like Seabourn and Silverseas.  While some folks are happy to 

find a bargain cruise, others are willing to pay for quality and service.  Last night, while in the Luna Bar we (and others) were unable to get any bar waiter service for over 2 hours (we all had to order and carry our drinks from the bar).  In the YC we have never waited more then 30 seconds for service and have access to higher quality booze.  If liking better service and higher quality makes one a snob then I plead guilty.

Hank

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Up 'til now, what we've loved about YC was the "ship within a ship" concept - with access to all the amenities that a big ship offers.  For us, the idea of a smaller, luxury-focussed experience doesn't appeal.

I agree Beamafar. I wouldn't want to be on a smaller ship. The freedom to leave the "Ship within a ship" and explore the huge ship is what I find enjoyable. Prefer knowing that everything is included. Will have to pre-pay some credit to cover ice creams etc! Or "cry" to YC Director!!!

2 hours ago, karar870 said:

Just for perspective for two years ago there were no drink package valid outside the YC.

Until April 2017 to be exact - and the YC prices increased accordingly to take account of the new "free" included Deluxe package for use around the rest of the ship!

20 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Up 'til now, what we've loved about YC was the "ship within a ship" concept - with access to all the amenities that a big ship offers.  For us, the idea of a smaller, luxury-focussed experience doesn't appeal.

Yes, we would accord with that thought.

18 hours ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

I agree Beamafar. I wouldn't want to be on a smaller ship. The freedom to leave the "Ship within a ship" and explore the huge ship is what I find enjoyable. Prefer knowing that everything is included. Will have to pre-pay some credit to cover ice creams etc! Or "cry" to YC Director!!!

On the Divina now (YC) and one of our concierges mentioned that she has heard similar comments from other YC passengers.  As one who has cruises on large and small ships we can see pros and cons.  The reality is that nearly all the ultra luxury ships are smaller vessels.  Given a choice we would normally opt for smaller ships.  But our YC club experience has been fantastic so perhaps there is room for both the large and small ship YC Experiences.

Hank