Bringing wine or alcohol on board

niborHS

From the NCL website...

Can I bring booze onboard a Norwegian cruise?

Bringing alcohol onboard at embarkation: Beer and liquor is not allowed -- items will be secured until disembarkation day. Wine and Champagne are permitted, but you'll have to pay a corkage fee for any that is consumed onboard in staterooms, bars or restaurants. Fees are $15 for 750ml bottles and $30 for 1,500ml. There is no limit to the number of bottles passengers can bring onboard. Boxed wine is not allowed.

Purchasing alcohol in port: Same rules as above apply for wine and Champagne; all other alcohol will be retained until the end of the cruise.

Purchasing alcohol in ships' duty-free shop(s): Any alcohol purchased in the onboard shops will be stored until the cruise's conclusion.

Kind of lame that even if both passengers in the state room have the ultimate beverage package, they don’t make any kind of exception for this rule. Not a huge deal, but common sense would indicate that they already got their money, so they shouldn’t care. 

On our last NCL cruise on the Dawn, we had declined the overvalued beverage packages with the 20% gratuities and I brought my own wine, paid the $15 a bottle.   The wine was exactly what I wanted, not the lame cabernet that is offered on the beverage package.  Also, we spent less on alcohol (including what I paid for the wine and the corkage fees) than just the gratuity charges would have been.

11 hours ago, slugg said:

Kind of lame that even if both passengers in the state room have the ultimate beverage package, they don’t make any kind of exception for this rule. Not a huge deal, but common sense would indicate that they already got their money, so they shouldn’t care. 

Easy enough to give brought-on-free bottles to passengers without the beverage package, thereby cheating NCL of revenue.

I can see that this will soon be NO alcohol to be taken on board.  All you have to do is wait for a lift close to where people embark after a shore visit to see the people who walk past the "alcohol" desk clearly carrying alcohol.  If the desk is busy and it often is people find it easier to pass rather than wait.

Edited by casofilia

11 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

On our last NCL cruise on the Dawn, we had declined the overvalued beverage packages with the 20% gratuities and I brought my own wine, paid the $15 a bottle.   The wine was exactly what I wanted, not the lame cabernet that is offered on the beverage package.  Also, we spent less on alcohol (including what I paid for the wine and the corkage fees) than just the gratuity charges would have been.

That's what I feel as well. Gratuity on the free beverage package (which we are not taking, we are doing the sail away rate), is $19.80 per day per person. So, more than 2 bottles a day corkage. The other reason I will do this is because my sister-in-law is on a tight budget. We'll go to a wine store in the Boca area where she lives, I will pick the wines, drink what I want, and I will probably pay for them too.

1 minute ago, addicted cruiser said:

Just to confirm, I can bring as many bottles of wine I want as long as I pay the 15.00 corkage fee?

Also to confirm I can pick up wine in the ports and bring on board and pay  the corkage fee and can drink it anywhere on the ship.

Pick up wine in ports and it is locked away aboard ship and returned to you on the last evening of the cruise.

3 hours ago, addicted cruiser said:

Just to confirm, I can bring as many bottles of wine I want as long as I pay the 15.00 corkage fee?

Also to confirm I can pick up wine in the ports and bring on board and pay  the corkage fee and can drink it anywhere on the ship.

You can only bring on wine at the initial, embarkation port, and can bring as much as you can carry on, paying $15 per 750ml bottle (there's a higher corkage fee for larger bottles).

Disney is the only line I know of that allows you to bring on up to two bottles per stateroom in each port. 

On 11/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, Robinsilver said:

What is the policy about bringing wine or other alcohol on board? I know I can count on all of you who are very knowledgeable about NCL to help me out here.

You bring alcohol on they keep i safe for you the entire cruise and you can pick it up the night before the end of the cruise: you bring wine on, you pay a $15 corkage fee. I am not sure there are any mass marketed lines anymore that allow you to brink any hard liquor on board. 

12 hours ago, addicted cruiser said:

I brought on 12 bottles on the NCL Spirit last October and paid the corkage . You cannot bring bottles on board for immediate consumption at ports of call. They will confiscate it and return it the last night of the cruise. 

If they return it early enough, you may get to drink it on the last evening. I have brought back a bottle intended to be a souvenir that made it through security undetected.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:21 AM, slugg said:

Probably because folks could bring on beverages for passengers without the beverage package, which if you think about it, some would do.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, Robinsilver said:

What is the policy about bringing wine or other alcohol on board? I know I can count on all of you who are very knowledgeable about NCL to help me out here.

If you have any unopened bottles by the last day, you can take them to the Atrium bar for holding. Then go to Guest Services and they will remove the corkage fee from your account.

40 minutes ago, lshpak said:

Can you take it with you to a restaurant? Also, if you do not finish it can you save it for the next day? Thank you.

You can take it with you anywhere on the ship...... yes, if you have a glass or two in the restaurant then they will hold the remaining bottle for you and they will retrieve it from the wine holding pen and serve it to you at any restaurant you go to...... or you may take the bottle in to the restaurant and leave with the bottle if you want. 

On 11/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, Robinsilver said:

Bring as much wine on board as you want and pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee. No other alcohol allowed.