Dress Code - Regal Princess

mustang$

5 hours ago, tinadago said:

What about jeans with a collared shirt for men?

Jeans and a shirt with collar is welcome during any casual nights in the MDR.   I have been wearing jeans and a shirt with collar such as polo shirt for years on non-formal nights.  

3 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Jeans and a shirt with collar is welcome during any casual nights in the MDR.   I have been wearing jeans and a shirt with collar such as polo shirt for years on non-formal nights.  

Great!  Thank you for the response.  That's what I was hoping for.  Previous cruises through other lines is usually fine!

I know it is probably NOT in the cruise contract, (although the cruise contract states that we have to follow all rules and regulations) but here is what Princess writes in "Before you go".

See highlighted part in RED.

We most of the time ditch the formal wear in favour of dining in either the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants.

Theo

PACKING FOR A PRINCESS CRUISE VACATION

While planning a trip to the Caribbean or Europe with Princess Cruises, many passengers are faced with the daunting task of packing the perfect amount of clothes and travel necessities for their globe-trotting adventure. On many world cruises, passengers visit numerous continents with varying climates, whether taking a shore excursion in the cooler temperatures of Helsinki, Finland, or lounging on the beach in the Mediterranean. From bikinis to ball gowns, these packing essentials are perfect for any vacation on a Princess cruise.

Before opting for vacuum-sealed bags and travel-sized toothbrushes, cruisers may want to thoroughly research their cruise destination as well as the activities available on board. Princess Cruises offers a number of formal dining nights during which ties and coats are mandatory. While some ships provide rental services, male travelers may want to add suit jackets and slacks to their packing list. Women, on the other hand, should bring along dresses made with wrinkle-free fabric, which will survive long hours stuffed in a suitcase. Passengers need not worry about having too few clothes, however, because each ship is outfitted with onboard laundry service.

While embarking on an Asian cruise, female passengers will want to avoid wearing shorts and skirts above their knees due to the conservative fashions worn by many Southeast Asian locals. Additionally, many Caribbean golf courses have a strict dress code, particularly in Bermuda, so travelers thinking of hitting a few rounds should come prepared with collared shirts and clean shorts. Many European nations do not have a stigma against casual fashion, but locals often sport chic clothes. Before leaving the cruise ship for a European shore excursion, Princess passengers may want to change out of their sweatpants and flip-flops.

Other than fashion concerns, vacation packers cannot forget to bring the essentials. Because cruise trips are usually at least one week long, passengers should bring extra camera batteries and memory cards as well as a power strip to charge several electronics at once. If falling asleep in moving modes of transportation is difficult, some Princess passengers may want to bring earplugs, eye masks and sleeping aides to make travel more enjoyable. Over-the-counter motion sickness pills are vital, and while on the upper decks, vacationers should have ginger snacks on-hand to soothe their stomachs.

Notorious under packers do not have to worry about forgetting items because many travel essentials, including clothing, are available at ports and in the boutiques on board Princess cruise ships.

We have been over this topic before -- a lot.  This "enforcement" comes up every time a dress code thread is started  ( about twice a week, because people never use the search engine to find dress code information).  

It IS enforced, but the enforcement is nuanced.  It is not strictly black-and-white -- there are some shades of gray.  Depending upon the Maitre D',  they don't strictly enforce it to the exact letter of the law, but they do draw a line in the sand.  One of the lines in the sand is that long pants are required.   Unless the Maitre D' or Head Waiters are temporarily away from the door, no one is going to walk into dinner wearing shorts -- no matter how "formal" the shorts are.   ( The term "formal shorts" is a complete oxymoron, IMO). 

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Currently on the Caribbean Princess on casual nights in the anytime dining room my DH has been wearing his cargo shorts with not even a slightest comment or hesitation about being seated. They don't even bother to post any dress code signs outside the DR door any longer. The only place it was mentioned was in the patter on the first day only.

I only saw 3 other guys wearing shorts on casual evenings. 

For formal evenings he wore his dress shirt last night without any jacket & previously on another formal night, a Polo shirt & it was fine.  It make me wonder if they've abandoned the dress code altogether.

Thanks for your real time current observation, instead quoting some old distance memories from days long gone by...   

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Currently on the Caribbean Princess on casual nights in the anytime dining room my DH has been wearing his cargo shorts with not even a slightest comment or hesitation about being seated. They don't even bother to post any dress code signs outside the DR door any longer. The only place it was mentioned was in the patter on the first day only.

I only saw 3 other guys wearing shorts on casual evenings. 

For formal evenings he wore his dress shirt last night without any jacket & previously on another formal night, a Polo shirt & it was fine.  It make me wonder if they've abandoned the dress code altogether.

May I ask why he would disregard the dress code? I am just curious since it appears you were aware of the dress code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EastBay Cruisers said:

We have been over this topic before -- a lot.  This "enforcement" comes up every time a dress code thread is started  ( about twice a week, because people never use the search engine to find dress code information).  

It IS enforced, but the enforcement is nuanced.  It is not strictly black-and-white -- there are some shades of gray.  Depending upon the Maitre D',  they don't strictly enforce it to the exact letter of the law, but they do draw a line in the sand.  One of the lines in the sand is that long pants are required.   Unless the Maitre D' or Head Waiters are temporarily away from the door, no one is going to walk into dinner wearing shorts -- no matter how "formal" the shorts are.   ( The term "formal shorts" is a complete oxymoron, IMO). 

Sorry but if what is allowed on ships as far as the dress code goes is enforcement then someone has a very different idea of the word enforcement then many others do.  Enforcement is NOT happening.

43 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Sorry but if what is allowed on ships as far as the dress code goes is enforcement then someone has a very different idea of the word enforcement then many others do.  Enforcement is NOT happening.

They don't enforce it to the extent of requiring every man to wear a dark suit or tux -- No.  But, they do enforce it to the extent of refusing to seat passengers with bare feet, shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, ripped/torn blue jeans, cut-offs, ball caps, etc. 

Why would you tell a newbie to wear anything he wants to the MDR, when that is not the case at all?  This sounds like gaslighting to me. 

7 hours ago, Potstech said:

If it is MANDATORY why is it not enforced?  

They probably thought that cruise passengers would be adult enough to follow the rules. Staff don't harass passengers about it because the passengers will turn around and bitch to the management about "arrogant" staff and they will then be reprimanded and punished whether it is far or not.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 4:48 PM, JennyB1977 said:

May I ask why he would disregard the dress code? I am just curious since it appears you were aware of the dress code.

He just like relaxing when on vacation & dressing in a suit and tie isn't relaxing by his standards. He's been doing the same thing for years on Princess & it worked out fine for him.

Last night I went back & checked my patters I've been saving since the beginning of this cruise & not in any of them has there been any mention of a dress code. Nor are  there any signs at the DR door any longer. I'm sure I've seen it mentioned at one time or another since we've boarded but I sure can't fine it.

On casual evenings shorts & a T shirt seem to be fine in the DR. They don't even mention a collared shirt any longer. 

To me it appears the they've unofficially joined the other cruise lines in dressing down.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:43 PM, EastBay Cruisers said:

Agreed. Why would your husband sail with Princess, then disregard the dress code?? 

Because it's their vacation to choose clothing that make them feel comfortable and not dress up to please other people. 

Us women get away with anything in the dining room all the time & the guys have to conform to wearing a Jacket & tie?

That's just not right.

It's about time everyone is given a choice to dress as they feel appropriate for dinner as long as it's not totally rebellious and just because they don't have on a jacket & tie doesn't make it terrible.  

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Pam in CA said:

Shorts are never allowed on any Princess ship at dinner in the dining room, even Smart Casual nights. Doesn’t matter if they’re dress shorts or gold plated.  If you’ve gotten away with it, you’ve been lucky. 

seems like lots of guys "getting lucky" on The Love Boat :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

• Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Pam in CA said:

Shorts are never allowed on any Princess ship at dinner in the dining room, even Smart Casual nights. Doesn’t matter if they’re dress shorts or gold plated.  If you’ve gotten away with it, you’ve been lucky. 

duplicate

Edited by voljeep
duplicate posting
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, EastBay Cruisers said:

They don't enforce it to the extent of requiring every man to wear a dark suit or tux -- No.  But, they do enforce it to the extent of refusing to seat passengers with bare feet, shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, ripped/torn blue jeans, cut-offs, ball caps, etc. 

Why would you tell a newbie to wear anything he wants to the MDR, when that is not the case at all?  This sounds like gaslighting to me. 

So you are saying it is only partially enforced which indicates NO they are not enforced.  You contradict yourself.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

They probably thought that cruise passengers would be adult enough to follow the rules. Staff don't harass passengers about it because the passengers will turn around and bitch to the management about "arrogant" staff and they will then be reprimanded and punished whether it is far or not.

interesting & well written. 

• Like 2

On my very first cruise with my family.  We were clueless about the dress code and wore shorts and tshirts to the MDR.  We were admitted into the MDR but maitre d said he would allow us that 1 time but not again.  So I guess they can be lienient if you are a first time offender?  Anyways after that we made sure we followed the evening dress code.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 12:42 PM, DimSum said:

On my very first cruise with my family.  We were clueless about the dress code and wore shorts and tshirts to the MDR.  We were admitted into the MDR but maitre d said he would allow us that 1 time but not again.  So I guess they can be lienient if you are a first time offender?  Anyways after that we made sure we followed the evening dress code.

The dress code on the CB has seemed to vanished. 

On 11/8/2018 at 11:56 AM, satxdiver said:

Off the topic a bit but we were on the Ruby last fall out of San Pedro and witnessed men sitting at tables near us or walking by with shorts and tshirts on casual nights along with men wearing ball caps.  One 2-top next to our larger table had a male wearing a porky pie hat every night including formal night.  We are getting ready to board the CB and have been reading posts by pax that are or have been on the CB recently commenting that shorts are being allowed in the MDR on casual nights.  

This is like the 55 MPH speed limit we had in the US for over a decade where people simply refused to obey it and the government was unable to enforce it.  As pax increasingly refuse  to follow the suggested dress code, there will be even less effort by the staff to enforce it.  Other cruise lines have seen the trend and adapted new guidelines so when will Princess follow them.   

I was surprised about the shorts being tolerated, and they weren't even "nice" shorts, but cargo shorts. The kind with big pockets & flaps. They just don't seem to care.

Tonight will be another shorts & T shirt night in the island DR for the DH.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our trip and I questioned one of the head waiters about their lenient dress code. 

He just replied that they are being more receptive to what those passengers prefer. They realize that not all people like dressing up for dinner &it's just easier to let them in rather then argue.

• Thanks 1

A few weeks back I started this topic - we just returned from 7 nights on the Regal.  With the exception of the 2 Formal Nights & the night that we ate at the Crown Grille I wore nice Dress Shorts (Linen or Micro Fiber) not Cargo Shorts to the Dining Room.

No body said a word - not the Maitre D, not the Head Waiters.  This was a Caribbean Cruise - you want to be comfortable.

& just for reference - I'm an active 70 year old!!f17.thumb.JPG.ecd56fdab67bdfce70be19512323e59f.JPG  

• Haha 1