What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

On 3/27/2019 at 11:50 AM, ShakyBeef said:

Please don't do this!!!   This cuts down on the cooling from the A/C system for other cabins all around you.  That is what causes those "warm nights" in the cabins.  Please, please, everyone stop doing this and ruining the comfort of so many others on the ship with you!

Although this first thread I'm including a link to is from the RCI forum, it contains very informative posts from Chengkp75, a very knowledgeable cruise ship chief engineer explaining just why it is bad to prop one's balcony door open:

I had no idea. I guess I'll just bring a small battery operated fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 1:04 PM, pyropoodle said:

we have some fancy citrus soaps that we scored at our last hotel visit and we tossed them into the luggage without really thinking about it and even our dirty clothes smelled amazing when we got home!  I had totally forgotten.  thanks for the reminder.

I use small mesh bags with the tie string and fill it with laundry sprinkles,,,, (untouchables) amazing!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

For reading take hard bound books. The paperbacks are hard to keep open, have to hold on to them all the time.

You also can leave the books in the library when you are done. More room for souvenirs on the way home. I have gone completely digital: I read on my phone or Ipad on cruises.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, NovCruisin said:

Why does it not surprise me that you are the type of person who actually SITS on a public toilet 😒 they have sanitary seat covers in most public restrooms for a reason, if they don't, as someone else mentioned, you hover.

Some people are just so nasty...no wonder there was a recent outbreak where several hundred people got Norovirus on RCL Oasis of the Seas.

What I find nasty is the mess left by the selfish people who 'hover'. If I don't find seat covers, I will use a double strip of toilet paper across the business end of the seat ( then tucked under). When you pee all over it first, I have the added chore of wiping up your mess first. Hover'ers are the reason why I will walk half a mile back to my cabin if necessary in order to avoid the public restroom. 

• Like 6

We travel pretty light, but these are the items that have made the carry on only 'cut' over the years 😉 

* Our ENO doublenest hammock (with hanging straps if needed)
* My amazingly powerful yet palm sized fan

* This wine bottle tote, which stretches over my suitcase handle and spares space in my backpack for other things.

* Downy wrinkle release ( I buy a large bottle and pour into a travel sized sprayer - saves money and keeps that item off my shopping list for a long time)

* A large insulated cup with lid (fits in backpack side pocket)

* Crystal light single packets (stored inside cup, along with anything that I don't want to get squished or melt in my bag)

* Zip lock baggies in various sizes 

* Poo-pourri

* My soap box OTC meds and first aid kit. (all packed in a plastic bar soap box)

Things that we do on cruises :

Think outside the box when it comes to food and beverages. Skim the offerings before choosing what we want and then create combinations to suit our tastes and the whims of the day . 

We always go opposite the crowd. We dine at off peak times, avoiding lines. Don't get stuck in the rut of what everyone else is doing or what is typical. 

Our hammock - It is no larger than a grapefruit, super light and has earned its place in the precious real estate that is my 22" spinner. When we have a balcony, we also bring the straps, which are about the size of a pair of thick men's socks. We don't leave out hammock on the balcony, but rather only when our rear ends are in it 😁. Our hammock, without the straps has been useful for many things. We like to spend sea days on the Serenity deck. It acts as a wind breaking blanket in the early hours and then as a shade later on when we have had enough sun. Since it has 2 metal carabiner style clips on it, you can clip it to the sides of your clam shell and cover up for warmth, shade or privacy 😉

I use the downy wrinkle release, but for stubborn items, I use my hair straightener. Between the two, I can usually avoid a trip to the ironing room. 

Remember - no need to bring hangers because your cabin attendant has extras and will be happy to bring them to you.

Caribbean sun is uniquely strong. This is not the time to try a new sunscreen or go cheap on sunscreen. Do your homework on this and when you find what works well, stick with it. I find Neutrogena ultimate sport and Sun Bum to be the best quality and most dependable. Several others have failed us over the years - especially the spray ones. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Athankfulheart said:

We travel pretty light, but these are the items that have made the carry on only 'cut' over the years 😉 

* Our ENO doublenest hammock (with hanging straps if needed)
* My amazingly powerful yet palm sized fan

* This wine bottle tote, which stretches over my suitcase handle and spares space in my backpack for other things.

* Downy wrinkle release ( I buy a large bottle and pour into a travel sized sprayer - saves money and keeps that item off my shopping list for a long time)

* A large insulated cup with lid (fits in backpack side pocket)

* Crystal light single packets (stored inside cup, along with anything that I don't want to get squished or melt in my bag)

* Zip lock baggies in various sizes 

* Poo-pourri

* My soap box OTC meds and first aid kit. (all packed in a plastic bar soap box)

Things that we do on cruises :

Think outside the box when it comes to food and beverages. Skim the offerings before choosing what we want and then create combinations to suit our tastes and the whims of the day . 

We always go opposite the crowd. We dine at off peak times, avoiding lines. Don't get stuck in the rut of what everyone else is doing or what is typical. 

Our hammock - It is no larger than a grapefruit, super light and has earned its place in the precious real estate that is my 22" spinner. When we have a balcony, we also bring the straps, which are about the size of a pair of thick men's socks. We don't leave out hammock on the balcony, but rather only when our rear ends are in it 😁. Our hammock, without the straps has been useful for many things. We like to spend sea days on the Serenity deck. It acts as a wind breaking blanket in the early hours and then as a shade later on when we have had enough sun. Since it has 2 metal carabiner style clips on it, you can clip it to the sides of your clam shell and cover up for warmth, shade or privacy 😉

I use the downy wrinkle release, but for stubborn items, I use my hair straightener. Between the two, I can usually avoid a trip to the ironing room. 

Remember - no need to bring hangers because your cabin attendant has extras and will be happy to bring them to you.

Caribbean sun is uniquely strong. This is not the time to try a new sunscreen or go cheap on sunscreen. Do your homework on this and when you find what works well, stick with it. I find Neutrogena ultimate sport and Sun Bum to be the best quality and most dependable. Several others have failed us over the years - especially the spray ones. 

Hammock? On a Balcony? How do you prevent it from collapsing?

Go to the bank and see the teller (that is a place where people used to go to get money Millennials ); get about 300 dollars in small bills (1's, 5's 10's).  They are great for tips on board (slip the bartender a buck or two here and there for better service, rooms service) and at Ports (taxis, shopping etc.)...     

Instead of throwing out old used up workout clothes (even old tennis shoes), the wife and I save them and then take those on our cruises for when we want to workout.

Then we just place them in a bag and put them in the nearest garbage after wearing them. Saves space for the return trip and makes room for any items purchased.

*Don't worry, these are workout clothes that I would not even donate to GoodWill, Amvets etc.

• Like 2

I bring Oxivir health care wipes, (Clorox health care wipes with H2O2 work also). Only thing that kills Noro viruses. Clean all the hard surfaces in the room right when we enter. Also works great when we get on the plane trip for the nasty tray tables, vents, arm rests seat backs.... best to clean a little when we get some where rather than catching the Caribbean crud from the last person that used the room or seat..... I also do this with hotel rooms. Regular Clorox or Lysol wipes don't do much except give you a false scene of surface clean. Both of these can be bought on wallmart.com 

• Like 1

Figured this out today while packing for our upcoming cruise:

I have a small, compartmentalized box that was intended to sort small craft supplies. It is the perfect size to put jewelry in to keep it organized and tangle-free. I know...this has been mentioned before.....

For larger/chunkier necklaces take the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper and fold the bottom end closed by pushing one side in and then the opposite side in over it. Put the necklace inside the tube and fold the other end closed. It doesn't take up much space, doesn't cost any money, and keeps your necklaces from getting tangled.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, Chrystine5 said:

Eagle Creek packing folder for packing men’s suit, dress pants, dress shirts, and polos without wrinkles in a very small space! Helps keep us carry on only, even for longer cruises! https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Garment-Folder-Medium/dp/B00F9S81KY

That's neat.  I am going to order that for my husband.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, Athankfulheart said:

What I find nasty is the mess left by the selfish people who 'hover'. If I don't find seat covers, I will use a double strip of toilet paper across the business end of the seat ( then tucked under). When you pee all over it first, I have the added chore of wiping up your mess first. Hover'ers are the reason why I will walk half a mile back to my cabin if necessary in order to avoid the public restroom. 

If I'm going to hover, I always pick the seat UP first (using a piece of tissue, if it's already dirty). I don't understand why more people don't do this. It makes it easier to hover (since the bowl is even lower) and leaves the seat clean for people who want to sit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

After almost 20 cruises I am amazed at all these fantastic ideas!  My contribution to this discussion is a small one.  Several years ago, I cruised with my sister, and two daughters.  Four women and one bathroom makes things interesting lol Anyway, I bought us each a small plastic basket from the dollar store for our shampoo, conditioner etc...everyone had their own baskets and we lined them up again the wall in the shower.  It worked really well and when cruise was over, we simply threw the baskets away. 

Vicki

• Like 4

On 4/1/2019 at 6:48 AM, a,j,&fam said:

we bring dry erase markers.  Great to write notes / messages on mirror to other cabin mates,  to the room steward and to yourself.

I brought a magnetic dry erase board on my last cruise and wrote a note to the cabin steward on it with the dry erase pen that was hanging with it.  The cabin steward answered with a nice note IN BALL POINT PEN!  I now have a dry erase board that permanently says "I bring the ice thank you" on it!  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 5