Looking to do Alaska cruise-opinions please

lostfancruiser

If this might be your only cruise to Alaska, choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.  Princess and Holland America have been doing it the longest, and have the most permits for glacier Bay.  Carnival also visits there at the beginning and end of the season, and occasionally they get a slot in July.  NCL also visits Glacier Bay.  There is a ton of information and advice on the Alaska board under Ports of Call.  EM

• Like 1

We've done 6 cruise to Alaska, and along with them, added pre and post trips. These have been with Crystal, Princess, NCL, Celebrity and Princess. Our "best' trip was with friends, flying into Anchorage and renting a car for the week. Not a fan of organized tours, preferring to do serious research to pack in lots of activities that interest us. We spent one night in Anchorage, left ort big suit cases at the hotel [we were returning there post road trip for 2 nights], and lived out of our carry-on bags. Great time sharing the drive toward Denali, stayed a few days in that area, [Grand Denali Lodge] did the full day trip into the park, also white water rafting. Drove to Fairbanks for a few days at Westmark, and then to the road less traveled, through the glacial mountains, Delta Junction area, with a few nights at a beautiful B & B. Then back to Anchorage for two nights, drove to Portage, stopped at Aleyska, got rid of the car and on the morning of the cruise, taxi to the AK RR station, and headed to Whittier to board the ship. Glad we were doing Princess as we had lots of laundry and they have washers 7 dryers on each deck for passenger use. Great cruise, ending in Vancouver, where we spent 3 nights at the Pan Pacific. The HoHo trolley was a great way to see the city, also added a rail trip to Whistler, float plane over the glaciers, a day trip to Victoria, too. 

Darcy

I feel that itinerary, including time in ports and glacier viewing days, are far more important than the cruise line/ship  .

However , if doing a Alaska Cruise/Tour , Princess and HAL have been doing them longer and have more choices for the Tour portion.

Would definitely look at Princess or HAL, who are the Alaska experts.

In addition to the previously mentioned 14 day on HAL, I would consider the B2B's on Princess from Vancouver to Whittier. In addition to the normal SE Alaska ports you visit Prince William Sound.

We did Alaska on Holland and will never go on them again unless they are the only ones with the itinerary we want. Too dead and quiet for me. When my 85 year old Father said it was just a bunch of old people I knew what he meant. We like a bit more excitement.  Being from the Pacific NW we chose to go out from Vancouver BC rather then Seattle. It gave us an extra day in Alaska.  Glacier Bay was beautiful but I thought we’d see more Glaciers along the way. Trip was beautiful but it looked liked home here in Oregon.  Next Alaska trip will be further North. 

4 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Recommend a 7-night Princess Cruise from Whittier (little south of Anchorage) to Vancouver that goes to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Also allows you to tack on a land trip up to Denali prior to your cruise.

The northbound Voyage of the Glaciers route on Princess (Vancouver to Whittier) includes Glacier Bay and College Fjord (numerous glaciers).  You also have the possibility of taking on a land trip after the cruise.

• Like 1

Hi

I did the 8 day Carnival trip leaving from Vancouver with a return to Seattle, early in the season. It was a great trip, and the weather was kind to us. Since you mentioned Carnival, if the timing is good for you, certainly consider it. 

Of course if you want to see more, then a one way cruise would allow for an extended stay in Alaska, with a greater selection of ports.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Have been sailing HAL since I was 41, including 3 Alaskan cruises. True, no flowriders or rock-climbing walls, but amazing service and crew! Larger rooms with even insides having a sofa. Tried NCL and will never go with them again. We are going to try RCI and Princess, but it is taking a great deal and a unique itinerary (respectively) to lure us to try anyone but HAL!

On 11/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, onebzemom said:

We did Alaska on Holland and will never go on them again unless they are the only ones with the itinerary we want. Too dead and quiet for me. When my 85 year old Father said it was just a bunch of old people I knew what he meant. We like a bit more excitement.  Being from the Pacific NW we chose to go out from Vancouver BC rather then Seattle. It gave us an extra day in Alaska.  Glacier Bay was beautiful but I thought we’d see more Glaciers along the way. Trip was beautiful but it looked liked home here in Oregon.  Next Alaska trip will be further North. 

Wow, we had a very different experience on HAL. It might have been more of the time of the trip. We did a trip in mid-June right when school got out. My parents sail HAL mainly, and it was their 50th wedding anniversary. We were prepared to have the ship full of "old" people but we found a ship full of multi-generational families sailing together. Our trip had our parents, two adult daughters with their husbands and the four grand-kids all high school aged and under at that time. Round trip out of Seattle. Very quiet at night, but we were all very tired from a very port intensive cruise. Our go to evening activity was the crow's nest with beer and beautiful scenery- with sunset after 11:00 PM it was so fun.

Our last Alaska cruise (last August) was the 2-wk itinerary KK mentioned above. It was amazing! Our group was 9 adults, from 36 to 79 in age, and everyone had a fantastic time. The 36yo seemingly met everyone on the ship! (she's a bit outgoing) and found her own "crowd" of younger generation, at least a few of whom were also traveling with their parents, but not attached at the hip.

Everyone found just the things they liked to do, and we got together at fixed-time dinner and shared what we'd been doing (we also all went on the same excursions because it worked for us).