Bliss: Ocean Blue Let Down

need2cruisesoon

1 star, that's pretty harsh:classic_blink:

We also ate there during the Halloween cruise and thought it was pretty good.  We didn't do the oysters either but everything we had was pretty good and we really liked the deserts.  I would say it's not worth what they charge though. I don't feel it warrants another $12 upcharge over the other specialties.   It certainly wasn't' any better that Le Bistro.  I had the Halibut and it was very good but I've had better.

I'd give it a solid 4 starts

Ocean Blue has always been somewhat of a disappointment. We were on the maiden voyage of the Getaway in the US with Zakarian on board where he explained everything that went into installing the restaurant on the Breakaway and Getaway. The menu really didn't live up the the hype of a celebrity chef.

Then NCL "ended their relationship with Zakarian", took over the restaurant and, in our opinion, it got a little better. 

Then,,, the Bliss. Really disappointing. 

The posted menu indeed looks weak (and limited).  Went on Getaway 2 weeks ago and there were 4 lobster options on the menu as I recall (steamed whole, grilled / soy-glazed, surf & turf, and something else I cannot remember!).  Grilled snapper (part of the fisherman's platter) was excellent.  Food at Ocean Blue on Getaway was quite good.

That is a pretty sad menu especially considering what can be found elsewhere on the ship for less. The Getaway menu sounds wonderful. I can see we'll have to check out the menu on the Breakaway when we board so we can decide whether to keep our reservation or ditch it if for Teppanyaki or Moderno. We already have reservations for Cagney's and Le Bistro. 

On 11/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, BirdTravels said:

Ocean Blue has always been somewhat of a disappointment. We were on the maiden voyage of the Getaway in the US with Zakarian on board where he explained everything that went into installing the restaurant on the Breakaway and Getaway. The menu really didn't live up the the hype of a celebrity chef.

Then NCL "ended their relationship with Zakarian", took over the restaurant and, in our opinion, it got a little better. 

Then,,, the Bliss. Really disappointing. 

Food is always a debatable topic. Seafood lovers may like the selection, non seafood aficionados (like me) could take it or leave it. I would never give a seafood restaurant a 5 star rating as I don't care much for seafood 🙂

I do have a concern and question your last sentence...."Really disappointing". Can you elaborate? We are going on Bliss for the first time in February.

5 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Food is always a debatable topic. Seafood lovers may like the selection, non seafood aficionados (like me) could take it or leave it. I would never give a seafood restaurant a 5 star rating as I don't care much for seafood 🙂

I do have a concern and question your last sentence...."Really disappointing". Can you elaborate? We are going on Bliss for the first time in February.

So, if the menu above works for you, then try it out. It will be fine. 

We at at Ocean Blue on 3 different ships this year. Two with the “old” menu and the Bliss.

If you want seafood mixed in pasta or in a pie, then Bliss is fine. We prefer getting crab legs and whole lobster where the seafood is the star of the dish, not the pie or pasta. 

As as far as the physical restaurant, Ocean Blue on the Bliss is one of the nicest in the fleet. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We at at Ocean Blue on 3 different ships this year. Two with the “old” menu and the Bliss.

If you want seafood mixed in pasta or in a pie, then Bliss is fine. We prefer getting crab legs and whole lobster where the seafood is the star of the dish, not the pie or pasta. 

As as far as the physical restaurant, Ocean Blue on the Bliss is one of the nicest in the fleet. 

Yes, if the menu works for me, then I will .....as I would with every restaurant I have ever dined in.

The point of my post was the foist sentence "Food is always a debatable topic".

17 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Yes, if the menu works for me, then I will .....as I would with every restaurant I have ever dined in.

The point of my post was the foist sentence "Food is always a debatable topic".

Hmmmm,,,, In your post that I quoted, you asked "Can you elaborate? " And I did. Now you slam me for elaborating on it and lecture me that "Food is always a debatable topic". I was trying to be responsive to YOUR question. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Hmmmm,,,, In your post that I quoted, you asked "Can you elaborate? " And I did. Now you slam me for elaborating on it and lecture me that "Food is always a debatable topic". I was trying to be responsive to YOUR question. 

Whoa, whoa....in my first response to you I asked you to elaborate on what I bolded which was "Then,,, the Bliss. Really disappointing. " And even asked you in my second post, "I do have a concern and question your last sentence...."Really disappointing". Can you elaborate? We are going on Bliss for the first time in February." Neither question was answered.

Never slammed you nor lectured you and you did not answer my question as why "Then,,, the Bliss. Really disappointing. ".

I re-read my posts and think you misunderstood or misinterpreted or misread or all of the above. You need to take relax and read what is posted, not what you think is posted 🙂

Edited by pete_coach

On 11/22/2018 at 3:13 PM, BirdTravels said:

Thank you for the comparisons.  We're scheduled for B2B on Bliss in January and have reservations for Ocean Blue each week.  The new location looks like a winner; no issues with smoke on other ships (wife very sensitive of such).

Question, if you or anyone knows, will the menu change now that Bliss is on the East Coast versus West Coast?  I ask because the seafood choices, and sources including shell fish, and oysters from the Northeast, were significantly different than what Bliss is showing.  So, now being in the East, will they change the menu and/or sources of their seafood?  

Anyone on cruises between now and January that dine at Bliss, any updates would be very much appreciated.