Newbie seeking restaurant info and more

SeaBunny

Is anything beside the MDR and buffet included for regular passengers? If so, what? And, what is the uncharge for thee ones not included? And are they worth the $?

Also, does the Celebrity Eclipse have a retractable roof over the pool area?

What is the dress code these days?

Is there anything else we should know about the Eclipse or Celebrity? We've never been on either.

Thanks to all!

In addition to the MDR and buffet there is Mast Grill near the pool, open 11-6.  The Aqua Spa Cafe located in the Solarium is open at breakfast & lunch.  There are pastries, Desserts, cookies, etc at Cafe al Bacio which are included, the coffees & teas at Cafe al Bacio are charged for, but you can get the pastries, etc without purchasing coffee or tea. 

Murano is priced at $50pp. Tuscan Grill is $45pp, I’m not sure about Quine or if it has changed to Le Petit Chef.  There is also Sushi on 5 that is priced aka carte.

The Solarium is a covered area, the Main Pool doesn’t have a cover.

Dress code is Smart Casual most nights, no Formal. Ights.  There are Evening Chic nights which is a bit dressier.  No shorts or T shirts in the MDR or restaurants in the evening but can be worn in the buffet in tge evening.

Is there anything else we should know about the Eclipse or Celebrity? We've never been on either.

You'll want to spend some time exploring the Celebrity website -- it isn't perfect but it does have lots of information on each ship and what they offer.  Also here on Cruise Critic there are dozens and dozens of reviews -- well worth a read 

Just to add to the second post here:

Included (I am not saying that they are "free" because you have paid for them already):

Main dining room

Mast Grill

Ocean view Cafe

Aqua Spa Cafe (very limited choice)

Cafe Al Bacio cakes etc. are included, you pay for all beverages

As far as the pay-restaurants, you may look into your cruise planner, they offer dining packages with a discount compared to the normal fees.

Sushi on 5 you can eat all you want for a fee (I think, that it's $45, or you take it from your dining package) and I highly recommend trying these out. Their lobster bisque, the lobster Ramen and in particular their Wagyu sliders are amazing!

Edited by Yoshikitty

How long is your cruise? We were on a 5-nighters and we only ate at MDR and it was not boring, and the food was really good.

I personally am a little "old school;" I don't like to pay extra for food as cruise used to not have all these specialty dining options.

Before the cruise I was concerned if our food options would be limited.

I swear, you will not be hungry :) All the food was great on Infinity

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, QT911 said:

How long is your cruise? We were on a 5-nighters and we only ate at MDR and it was not boring, and the food was really good.

I personally am a little "old school;" I don't like to pay extra for food as cruise used to not have all these specialty dining options.

Before the cruise I was concerned if our food options would be limited.

I swear, you will not be hungry 🙂 All the food was great on Infinity

We're on for 14 days. I rather doubt we'll be doing the alternative restaurants as those up charges are rather steep. For example, I can go to a great sushi place here and get so much sushi for about $35 that two people can't eat it all. 

Maybe our HAL experience soured us. Our TA gave us a dinner in their alternative place (Pinnacle) once and it was the worst meal/service of the trip. 

As others have said, the MDR was perfect for us on our 7-night cruise last year (Pacific Coastal).  We found plenty of variety, and was really very well prepared. We did not do that Ocean View buffet very often, as we had port-intensive itinerary.  The burgers and hot dogs at the Mast Grill were very tasty too. 

I understand that they do meats grilled to order in the Ocean View on at least some of the nights, and understand that it is very good.  We will be on the Silhouette next week, and think we may have to try that if we want a night off from the MDR.

Check the Ocean View Cafe for an occasional dinner/change of pace.  They have a different theme every night and provide fresh fish, chops, lamb, beef, and pork grilled to order.  One evening on they even brought in fresh fish from a port visit just for the Ocean View buffet that evening, and on another they had steak night where they had whole ribeyes and tenderloins and cut you off and grilled a piece to the size you asked.

We ate at the 2nd seating at 8:30, but on our way back to our stateroom to change for dinner, we would stroll by to check out what they had each night.

one of the highlights of our Solstice cruise earlier this year was the food OMG it was outstanding!

as mentioned the OVC buffet has a different theme every night and the choice and quality of food was amazing and the food in the Main Dining Room was similar to 4-5 star restaurants- top notch

Thanks for the information about OVC' themed evenings ----we had no idea this was going on! Mind you we were never told about Elite breakfast and  cocktail hour... perhaps the staff imagine that we'd not be interested.

We'll try some of these out next August on our Ireland & Iceland cruise.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:58 AM, crazyman3 said:

Thanks for the information about OVC' themed evenings ----we had no idea this was going on! Mind you we were never told about Elite breakfast and  cocktail hour... perhaps the staff imagine that we'd not be interested.

You will have a letter in your stateroom on the first day that describes all the Elite benefits.

41 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

You will have a letter in your stateroom on the first day that describes all the Elite benefits.

Thank you for your royal reply.

We have not had a letter ---perhaps because we are Elite in a Suite... Don't know.

Yes, we can always have breakfast in Luminae and 'free' drinks in Michael's Club... but sometimes it is interesting to try something else e.g. Elite + breakfast or Elite Cocktails...

We have always gotten a letter on embarkation day listing our Captains Club benefits. There's so much paperwork on day 1 that perhaps you missed it. We got this even when we were at the entry and mid levels of the Captains Club. It also lists events which will not be listed in the Celebrity today and in days where there were coupons for free gelato, etc., those were there as well.

1 hour ago, crazyman3 said:

Thank you for your royal reply.

We have not had a letter ---perhaps because we are Elite in a Suite... Don't know.

Yes, we can always have breakfast in Luminae and 'free' drinks in Michael's Club... but sometimes it is interesting to try something else e.g. Elite + breakfast or Elite Cocktails...

We just got off the Equinox, were in a suite, and got two letters (I am Elite, DH is [only :classic_tongue:] Select). 

We also received numerous voice mails from the Captain's Club Hostess to remind us about events.

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

We just got off the Equinox, were in a suite, and got two letters (I am Elite, DH is [only :classic_tongue:] Select). 

We also received numerous voice mails from the Captain's Club Hostess to remind us about events.

Wow! We've never had voice mails from the CCH!

Well. we know our place... I'll need to improve my dishwashing technique for the cruise next August!

The specialty restaurants are quite good. Murano is upscale and very nice. And Le Petit Chef at Qsine is a great 4 course meal with a really fun show. Creative and entertaining animation that pairs with a delicious meal of lobster tail, filet mignon, soup and dessert. Make sure to see it! It really is a treat you can't see anywhere else.