Data caps on the new HAL Unlmited Internet Plans?

POA1

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

So then, if I unfollow all threads except my Live from, in my Manage Followed Content, I should only have the live from in My Activity Stream, right?

No, I can see now, by limiting the stream to the thread I start, that is the only thing that will show up.  Thanks, Brian.

You would only have to unfollow other threads you started. And even then, the "Since my last visit ' filter will eliminate the older threads anyway. Only threads you start with new posts will show up in that feed. You can always tweak the time if you want to show something new. 

When answering, you can long press and choose Open  link n new tab so you don't have to keep going back to the list. (I think that'll work on a tablet.) I usually pop open a bunch of tabs to answer questions in a Live From. Saves a little bit of time. 

You new graphic has been ordered. 

@scluvsrain & @Vict0riann - Here you go. The elves pulled in the Holland America orange color for you, and used teal, which is the complimentary color.

You can either copy and paste the image for your intro post, or if you prefer to have the URL, it's here:

https://www.instituteofcheer.com/img/2018/Vict0riann-NS-Banner.jpg

Vict0riann-NS-Banner.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks so much, Brian.  It looks great!  I think I will start the thread today, actually, because people on the roll call are already leaving for Europe, and I would like to post the link to the thread asap so that hopefully others will join in with their impressions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks so much, Brian.  It looks great!  I think I will start the thread today, actually, because people on the roll call are already leaving for Europe, and I would like to post the link to the thread asap so that hopefully others will join in with their impressions.

Have a wonderful trip! 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, Turtles06 said:

We were also on the Zuiderdam TA/Viking Passage in Aug/Sept and purchased the middle level "surf" plan.  I noticed when I was ready to buy this supposedly "unlimited" plan the fine print stating a limit of a certain amount of MB/day, I think it was 300 but I can't recall for sure.  I did speak with someone about this before I made the purchase, and he told me there really wasn't a data cap in the sense that they would cut off your access to the internet if you exceeded it, but rather that they would slow your speeds.   All I can say is that we used the internet plenty and were never cut off.  But the second week into the cruise, the speeds slowed for us and for everyone I spoke with, all day except in the middle of the night -- I think that was more a case of HAL's internet being frustratingly slow.  But it's definitely confusing to sell an unlimited plan with data caps!

Judith, I think it had issues because of our location more than anything.  I had the same package and don't remember seeing anything about a cap (guess I ignored the fine print) and certainly never experienced it cutting me off.  And like you, we used it frequently as well.  Will be curious to compare it to our upcoming cruise on Volendam (and try to remember to check out the fine print LOL).

On our recent Maasdam 48 day cruise from FLL to Papeete, I purchased the 31 day Premium Package which I was aware had a 500GB daily limit (which we never reached and we were on FB, CC, email, and the like).  We never stream movies.  My wife and I used it 24/7 throughout the ship and we shared the connection.  Without a travel router, only one person can be connected at a time.  If one person was connected, the other person simply force logged the other person off, and logged on.  For us, it worked well except for a few days near Easter Island where the ship's superstructure blocked the satellite antenna.  After serious complaints, the ship sailed on a wavy course (apparently approved by Seattle's HAL office) which kept the connection alive.

We are also on the NS inaugural voyage starting 12/5, and I plan to purchase the premium package for the 18 days so I can keep my daily blog up. 

31 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

On our recent Maasdam 48 day cruise from FLL to Papeete, I purchased the 31 day Premium Package which I was aware had a 500GB daily limit (which we never reached and we were on FB, CC, email, and the like).  We never stream movies.  My wife and I used it 24/7 throughout the ship and we shared the connection.  Without a travel router, only one person can be connected at a time.  If one person was connected, the other person simply force logged the other person off, and logged on.  For us, it worked well except for a few days near Easter Island where the ship's superstructure blocked the satellite antenna.  After serious complaints, the ship sailed on a wavy course (apparently approved by Seattle's HAL office) which kept the connection alive.

We are also on the NS inaugural voyage starting 12/5, and I plan to purchase the premium package for the 18 days so I can keep my daily blog up. 

My plan had been just to get the middle package - I think that was what we got before, once, and it was adequate.  I wonder, if it is not, if one would be allowed to "upgrade"?

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

My plan had been just to get the middle package - I think that was what we got before, once, and it was adequate.  I wonder, if it is not, if one would be allowed to "upgrade"?

I won't purchase a plan until we board the ship on Wednesday.  I carry and use a portable WIFI device when in port (GLOCALME) and for the first time will use a portable router on the ship to allow my wife and I to share the one WIFI connection.  I don't recall the difference in cost between the middle tier plan and the top plan, but for the first time after 400 days on HAL, we were satisfied with the internet access.

39 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I got the higher level plan once Ann due to incorrect info given to me by the Internet person on HAL (5* Mariner's get 50% off but only on the top plan).  I thought it was wrong and went to do some more digging and got clarification.  (It was wrong of course but it was my 1st time with Unlimited as a 5* so I didn't know how it worked).  They did let me downgrade to the middle plan and reimbursed me so I suspect they would also let you upgrade if you had to.

You might want to check with the front desk when you board to make sure before you sign up?  I always used the middle plan in the past when I had unlimited.  But this caps thing has me worried and I might be forced to buy the more expensive plan, so I'll be interested to hear your experience. 😉 

By the way, when I had the premier (top) plan, I saw no difference in the time it took emails to upload, pics to upload or posting on tapatalk.  

With the new plan and with a 5 Star status, there is a $30 price cut.  For 31 days, it  was $329 less the $30 or about $10 per day virtually unlimited access.  I really liked not being measured by time since my prior HAL internet speed was was so slow.

41 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

With the new plan and with a 5 Star status, there is a $30 price cut.  For 31 days, it  was $329 less the $30 or about $10 per day virtually unlimited access.  I really liked not being measured by time since my prior HAL internet speed was was so slow.

We liked that, too - that you didn't have to go online, download emails, go offline to answer, and then go back online to send responses, trying to save those precious minutes.

Any time I've used HAL's unlimited plans, I've been offered the opportunity to upgrade for the difference prorated to the remaining length of the cruise.  I don't think there's any down side to starting with the Surf plan and going to the top plan later if needed.

Roy

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Any time I've used HAL's unlimited plans, I've been offered the opportunity to upgrade for the difference prorated to the remaining length of the cruise.  I don't think there's any down side to starting with the Surf plan and going to the top plan later if needed.

Roy

Thanks, Roy.  That is what I will do.:classic_cool:

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Good to know. I'm still hoping to use the mid tier plan, but it's good to have options. 

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Thanks Roy, very much 😄 

I thought it could be done but it's been a couple of years since I had unlimited.

That's good news indeed.  Much appreciated 😄 

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Same here on our first HAL cruise this summer on the Zuiderdam. Every time I logged on (I had the Surf plan), I was offered the opportunity to upgrade at the ever-decreasing prorated price. 

On 11/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, POA1 said:

It's not so much the posts as it is the refreshing of the page and the initial load. I don't know about you, but I see a "double load" when I first hit the site on my Android phone, Huskerchick's iPhone or her Android tablet. That's where the 3.0 to 3.1 MB data usage comes in. Each subsequent post (posted or read) takes up around 1.1 to 1.5 MB.  Images vary based on the file size of the image, so that's a little hard to tell.

I’ve been seeing those “double loads” and possibly a third on my iPhone. And even more annoying my iPhone has gotten caught in “ postback hell” a couple times, when it just sits there reloading the main CC HAL Forum Page. It doesn’t stop until I close out that tab, and open a new tab and different CC page. Any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’ve been seeing those “double loads” and possibly a third on my iPhone. And even more annoying my iPhone has gotten caught in “ postback hell” a couple times, when it just sits there reloading the main CC HAL Forum Page. It doesn’t stop until I close out that tab, and open a new tab and different CC page. Any thoughts?

That multiple loading and reloading has been happening with me too, on my iPhone.  I thought CC had gone mad the first time, but on my computer it was okay.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

That multiple loading and reloading has been happening with me too, on my iPhone.  I thought CC had gone mad the first time, but on my computer it was okay.

I had the same issue on my iPhone a couple of days ago.  I cleared the cookies, and, knock wood, haven’t had the problem since.  

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I have the same issue with my Ipad.  Looks like it is happening with anything that is not a laptop/computer 😞 

You are not alone.

We just disembarked the Westerdam on Tuesday and had the unlimited internet data plan for 15 nights - it was $219 on board for 15 nights. Originally we thought it was capped with a data limit, but checked with the Digital Room and Guest Services who both confirmed unlimited.

It was by far the best interet we have had on any ship so far. A bit slow during peak times on sea days, but generally fast with no difficulty connecting. You can stay logged in the whole time, but only on one device at a time.

It was really worth having.

All - As far as the reload thing goes... The double one is to log you in. I suspect it's because you are logging into both the boards server and the CC static server. You used to just login to the boards. I'm not sure why they can't do a persistent login with a cookie, because it's technically possible. 

The looping reload is a bug. I usually just switch browsers for a while. When I come back using the original browser a few hours later, the problem is gone. As a rule, I try not to mess with my machines when I know it's a server issue. 

On 11/29/2018 at 6:43 AM, 0bnxshs said:

Exactly!  I didn't always use the travel router but when I did it was the device that was logged onto the ship's WiFi network and (therefore) internet, my other devices were logged onto the travel router's local WiFi network.

My travel router has a 6000mAh battery for its own use and for re-charging devices like smart phones, etc., and can share external devices on its network too, so I rarely powered it down and kept it charged so when in port I had a power source.  When I did this, it would re-connect to the ship's WiFi for intranet automatically and, so long as it was the last device logged onto the internet, it accessed it automatically too.

My biggest issue was deciding which WiFi network my devices would log into automatically, the router's or the ship's.  What's nice is that the internet connection page on Navigator now allows you to kick off the last device that was using internet from that page so you didn't have to find whatever/whoever was using internet and ask them to yield it. 

Can you tell me which HooToo router you used?  And how do you log it into HAL's wifi?  I understand how a router works and looked up some devices but don't understand how to get it signed into HAL.  Thanks for your help.