RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Or maybe its based on who paid the most for their current cabin. ..usually a newbie.

No, I don't think so...and we're certainly not newbies. The price we originally paid (the day the sailing was released) for our GS on our Navigator cruise last week Jan 17th was $4040 total for the two of us. My UpBid was $350pp so all in at $4740 for our OS #1320. I think we scored !!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, moonltnite said:

It would be VERY interesting to know what the algorithm is.  Do they factor in C&A membership?  If bids are the same and from the same current category cabin - is it based on who bid first?   It'd be nice if this process was more transparent. 

It would be interesting, but doubtful plusgrade will willingly share such info.

10 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

We were upgraded from Spacious Balcony to Owners Suite at 365 a person.

Question - why was I charged 810?  Are there extra fees when moving to a suite?  Did I miss the fine print?

thanks

Had you prepaid your gratuities?  If so, the difference might be the increase in gratuities from your old cabin to your new suite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

Question - why was I charged 810?  Are there extra fees when moving to a suite?  Did I miss the fine print?

thanks

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Had you prepaid your gratuities?  If so, the difference might be the increase in gratuities from your old cabin to your new suite.

Starry Eyes beat me to the Submit button, I was going to ask the same thing.

There's a $3 per person per day difference between JS & below vs. full suites.

The Royal Up FAQ is not exactly clear on whether it's included in the RU charge or a separate charge, or even just added to your bill.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-pay-a-gratuity-based-on-the-new-category-upgraded-with-royalup

All though, $810 - (2 * 365) = $80. $80 / $3 = $26.66667, so it doesn't divide out evenly no matter how many people are in the room and how many days the cruise is. So....

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

thanks

I am pretty sure there is an extra fee for moving from one cabin to another. I mean its an additional headache for them to cover all this up. They have to configure their system, enter new data, register all fo you under a new cabin and de-register you from the old one. This process takes awhile, and they charge for it 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

We did prepay gratuities - so that makes  sense.  The Math isn't adding up - but I didn't realize there was also a change of room fee.

Thanks

I wish there was a bit more transparency in the upgrade email - or even a bill.

From the RoyalUp Terms and Conditions: 

By upgrading to a higher stateroom category, each guest in the booking may be subject to a higher gratuity amount. The Offer Amount does not include the higher gratuity. If the Offer is accepted, the difference between the original and upgraded stateroom gratuities (if applicable) will be automatically applied to all guests (the “Additional Charges”).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/royalup-upgrade-program

39 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I am pretty sure there is an extra fee for moving from one cabin to another. I mean its an additional headache for them to cover all this up. They have to configure their system, enter new data, register all fo you under a new cabin and de-register you from the old one. This process takes awhile, and they charge for it 

I don't believe there's a fee involved...My credit card charge was exactly $700 for my upgrade from GS to OS.

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

You were already in a suite, that is why. 

There is no “extra” charge. What you bid is exactly what you pay, for 2 people, exactly as you agreed to when you submitted your bid along with your credit card information. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

There is no “extra” charge. What you bid is exactly what you pay, for 2 people, exactly as you agreed to when you submitted your bid along with your credit card information. 

See my post above #6651 quoted from the RoyalUp Terms and Conditions. I am just speculating as to why extra charges were charged.

7 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

See my post above #6651 quoted from the RoyalUp Terms and Conditions. I am just speculating as to why extra charges were charged.

You are correct with what you posted. As per the terms, IF you prepay the gratuities, then the difference in the gratuities price for the new suite is added on. That is what happened with the OP’s price. I do not prepay gratuities so my bid (times 2) is exactly what is charged on my credit card. 

• Like 1

From the great info in this thread, I see that many are usually notified 2-3 days prior to cruise departure if their bid was accepted. (In general)

What I was wondering, was when have people normally seen their bid that won was locked and not able to be modified. Just trying to get an idea on that time frame.

I also have a question for people who were in a Balcony stateroom on an Oasis class ship who had a successful upgrade.

How successful have people been upgrading to a Sky class suite such as a Grand Suite or an Owners Suite. I see a lot of successful upgrades to the Junior suites, but have not seen much in the way of jumping up to a Grand Suite recently. I will not scoff at a cheap upgrade to a Junior suite, but I will not be bidding aggressively on one. The extra space is nice, but it's just space. I'm aggressively bidding on a GS and semi aggressively on an Owners suite. I just don't know how successful I will be since people in the JS will open up a spot in a lower cost cabin to afford Royal even more capital from an upgrade chain domino effect.

Any info will be much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Unless someone works for Plusgrade, no one here has enough info to determine any pattern or criteria they use to determine winning bids. And whatever someone else got is so specific to that sailing, it may mean nothing on yours. Bid whatever you feel is reasonable and monitor your credit card for a charge. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, binro01 said:

From the great info in this thread, I see that many are usually notified 2-3 days prior to cruise departure if their bid was accepted. (In general)

What I was wondering, was when have people normally seen their bid that won was locked and not able to be modified. Just trying to get an idea on that time frame.

I also have a question for people who were in a Balcony stateroom on an Oasis class ship who had a successful upgrade.

How successful have people been upgrading to a Sky class suite such as a Grand Suite or an Owners Suite. I see a lot of successful upgrades to the Junior suites, but have not seen much in the way of jumping up to a Grand Suite recently. I will not scoff at a cheap upgrade to a Junior suite, but I will not be bidding aggressively on one. The extra space is nice, but it's just space. I'm aggressively bidding on a GS and semi aggressively on an Owners suite. I just don't know how successful I will be since people in the JS will open up a spot in a lower cost cabin to afford Royal even more capital from an upgrade chain domino effect.

The way I see it, your bid for a GS likely has to be greater than sum of another balcony cruiser’s bid for a JS plus  the JS cruiser’s bid for that GS….because such a bid nets Royal Caribbean more incremental revenue.  Also, if yours were the only/strongest JS bid on the table, the algorithm might place you in the JS instead to maximize revenue.  Of course, you have no idea how many other bids they have or the $ amounts.  So, in the end, I agree with Biker…bid based on what it is worth to you this time.

16 minutes ago, Piperandleroy said:

I am leaving on a cruise tomorrow. All my bids for Royal Up still say pending. Is that unusual to not know the day before you cruise?

Not unusual, but not a good omen for a possible upgrade, especially if you can still modify your bid. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1