RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

No such things as too many variables.  Check out the field of data science.  Large corporations have people who specialize in this to maximize profits.  People from NYC may be willing to pay a different amount to move to a higher category of cabin than someone from Florida, who is different from someone in Texas, who is different from someone in Ohio with no nearby port.  They can then tweak state discounts accordingly.  The economics of an Oasis class ship are different from Freedom class, which is different from Radiance or Voyager class.  7+ day cruises are different than 3-4 day cruises.  All valuable info when trying to squeeze out more revenue.  A simple "the price was too high if it didn't sell approach" leaves money on the table from an unsold cabin.

It's true that they dissect the different variables in ways to maximise revenue.

However, the initial purchase, and the bid are different transactions. They are a way to maximise revenue, as some people will bid with consideration of them independently (the same as onboard purchases are viewed by many separately). Your statement actually supports the contention that they shouldn't be viewed as singular market research about the original price, as they are another 'variable' (although technically something quite different). 

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

However, the initial purchase, and the bid are different transactions. They are a way to maximise revenue, as some people will bid with consideration of them independently (the same as onboard purchases are viewed by many separately). Your statement actually supports the contention that they shouldn't be viewed as singular market research about the original price, as they are another 'variable' (although technically something quite different). 

I'm sure they can correlate initial purchase and upgrade bids...probably down to the individual level.  They can (and probably have) correlated onboard purchases to cabin category, cabin price, number of cruises taken, and many other variables.  These correlations may not be perfect but good enough to make tactical decisions (like cabin rates).  If they can squeeze out an extra $10 per person per cruise in revenue, that's more than $3 million per year on an Oasis class ship.  Just because it seems hard or meaningless doesn't mean that it isn't being done.  Do a Google search on Business Intelligence.  The BI market was worth $17 billion in 2016 and is estimated to be worth $27 billion by 2021.  Someone is buying a lot of BI software.

• Like 1

OK...we are sailing on Allure 3/17 and the ship has appeared to be sold out for days.  However, I just got notification that our Royal Up offer was accepted...being upgraded from a Jr. Suite to a Crown Loft Suite...with minimum bid.  However our friends that have a Jr. Suite guarantee have yet to be assigned a stateroom.  We are super excited but have never stayed in the Crown Lofts on the back of the ship....not sure I will like them as well as the ones on the side of the ship...what a problem to have!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tiggercat said:

OK...we are sailing on Allure 3/17 and the ship has appeared to be sold out for days.  However, I just got notification that our Royal Up offer was accepted...being upgraded from a Jr. Suite to a Crown Loft Suite...with minimum bid.  However our friends that have a Jr. Suite guarantee have yet to be assigned a stateroom.  We are super excited but have never stayed in the Crown Lofts on the back of the ship....not sure I will like them as well as the ones on the side of the ship...what a problem to have!!!

Wow and CONGRATS!  You gave us all some hope. 😀

9 hours ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

On Freedom at end of April and got a Royal Up email.

Wife and I are in Jr Suite and the min bids are

1 Bed Grand $250 per person

2 Bed Grand $300 per person

Owners Suite is $350 per person 

is any of them worth upgrading for, I didn’t see any that jumped out to me to bid

I don't think the grand suite is worth it, but I would try the owners suite!

We are sailing on SOS on 04/20/19.  We received the Royal Up email and bid on the JS.  It has now been a couple of weeks and no word.  Supposedly, RCCL has up until 24 hours prior to departure to let you know if your bid was accepted.   Yesterday, we received an email with our Guest Vacation Docs - which included a summary of our trip and bag tags.  Does this mean our bid is now dead? - OR  - Has anyone received an upgrade after receiving the Guest Vacation Docs?   or is there still hope for us to get the upgrade?  

11 minutes ago, kdavis5472 said:

We are sailing on SOS on 04/20/19.  We received the Royal Up email and bid on the JS.  It has now been a couple of weeks and no word.  Supposedly, RCCL has up until 24 hours prior to departure to let you know if your bid was accepted.   Yesterday, we received an email with our Guest Vacation Docs - which included a summary of our trip and bag tags.  Does this mean our bid is now dead? - OR  - Has anyone received an upgrade after receiving the Guest Vacation Docs?   or is there still hope for us to get the upgrade?  

I received the invitation to bid several weeks after the docs.  They are unrelated.

On 3/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, reallyitsmema said:

That stinks.  We got our emails as we were driving over the GW the day before the cruise.  Once person on our rollcall did get their bid accepted and another got a call to downgrade his cabin as they had oversold the category he had.  

That seems to be getting very frequent recently. Happened to someone on our roll call. They firmly said NO.

15 minutes ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

We stayed in an OS on Freedom and really enjoyed it. It was our first cruise where we chose it and paid the bill and it hooked us into taking many more. The perks are not as nice on Oasis class, but the room is great. For $700, I would do it.

We are currently in an Owner's Suite. The minimum bid to upgrade to the Royal Suite was $400 PP.  The minimum bid to upgrade to the 4 BR Villa Suite (aft on deck 6) was $200 PP.  We might have considered bidding on the RS but would not be interested in the Villa Suite as it is all the way aft and I would not want that long walk.

It's a moot point now as the RS appears to be gone at this point.

So I’m sailing on the grandeur 3/28. Already in the owners suit. Received email to bid on royal suite. The email said 500 min pp. when I opened the link the meter was at 1500. Does that man that’s now the minimum?  I’m perfectly happy in the owners suite but thought this might be an over the top experience 

Just now, ChristyS said:

The email said 500 min pp. when I opened the link the meter was at 1500. Does that mean that’s now the minimum? 

No, they usually default the starting mark of the meter at some "good" bid - you should be able to lower the bid to 500. If not, then yes, the min was raised to 1500 -that can and does change with time.

16 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

So I’m sailing on the grandeur 3/28. Already in the owners suit. Received email to bid on royal suite. The email said 500 min pp. when I opened the link the meter was at 1500. Does that man that’s now the minimum?  I’m perfectly happy in the owners suite but thought this might be an over the top experience 

I had the same offer for Grandeur over Christmas/NY.  The only issue I have with the RS on Grandeur is that it is all the way forward.  I don't like the location of the RS or even the OS on the Vision class ships so I didn't bid for that reason.  I would probably do it on almost any other ship class but not on the V class.

Sailing on the Brilliance on May 19th and received a invite to upgrade today, from oceanview to balcony.

balcony $270 pp min bid

superior balcony $400 pp  min bid

Edited by searaider

Strangest thing happened so I thought I’d ask the experts 😀. Earlier in this thread I posted that I tried to upgrade my A2 ATS to the bigger A1 on the deck below since the price had dropped. Royal told my TA no because it was being held for Royal Up. Well yesterday, they moved us into that cabin unbeknownst to us! I got an email saying my cruise docs were available, which I thought was strange and sure enough, it’s for the deck 8 suite number. I’m thrilled but also a little nervous that it’s a mistake. The only thing I can think of is that they bumped us up because we paid more than someone bidding into the ATS? Cruise date is 3/30 on symphony so I’m guessing they are finalizing cabins now and made the switch. I just don’t want to show up and be double booked or something.  It’s not like there are a bunch of other suites to put the 8 of us in (DH, 4 kids and 2 nieces) Thoughts? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lamcnally1 said:

Strangest thing happened so I thought I’d ask the experts 😀. Earlier in this thread I posted that I tried to upgrade my A2 ATS to the bigger A1 on the deck below since the price had dropped. Royal told my TA no because it was being held for Royal Up. Well yesterday, they moved us into that cabin unbeknownst to us! I got an email saying my cruise docs were available, which I thought was strange and sure enough, it’s for the deck 8 suite number. I’m thrilled but also a little nervous that it’s a mistake. The only thing I can think of is that they bumped us up because we paid more than someone bidding into the ATS? Cruise date is 3/30 on symphony so I’m guessing they are finalizing cabins now and made the switch. I just don’t want to show up and be double booked or something.  It’s not like there are a bunch of other suites to put the 8 of us in (DH, 4 kids and 2 nieces) Thoughts? Thanks!

Call your TA to confirm.  Never made sense that you COULDN'T move to the A1, based on the limited info known about the Royal Up program.  Your TA may have just talked to a different person who made it happen for you.  I would assume that you'll have no problems but never hurts to verify.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Call your TA to confirm.  Never made sense that you COULDN'T move to the A1, based on the limited info known about the Royal Up program.  Your TA may have just talked to a different person who made it happen for you.  I would assume that you'll have no problems but never hurts to verify.

Thanks. I did do that and she said everything looks fine and confirmed in royal’s system, whatever that means. My TA is Costco, not the good ones you all mention on the boards, though, so I’m still a bit nervous.  I’m a newbie to Royal! I guess we got lucky! Really looking forward to this awesome cabin 8334 on Symphony!

5 hours ago, Lamcnally1 said:

they moved us into that cabin unbeknownst to us! 

This is great news for you !  The deck 8 ATS are SOOOOOO much bigger than any of the other ones.  Congratulations !  You will be far more comfortable in 8 than on any of the upper decks.