What if my scooter doesn't fit? Allure of the seas.

VgsBby

I'll be in the Allure in a standard inside cabin. Accessible was sold out. I called the guest access department and the rep said bring it and store it in your cabin. He said he would make a note on my booking. My TA confirmed the note.

Here's the question, what happens if it doesn't fit upon arrival, will they park it and charge it in a closet somewhere? I need it mostly for long distance (think going the entire distance of the ship or in Port) 

Ben

I ran into a problem on regal princess...went to visit a relative's inside cabin and the hallway was too narrow to be able to get into the cabin...ive always had an hc cabin since i started to use a scooter....clearly the hallways where these cabins are licated are wider...def something to check before you go!

1 hour ago, searoses said:

....clearly the hallways where these cabins are licated are wider...

Accessible cabins are located by stair landings or hallway intersections.

Check with the cruise line for their actual policy, do not depend on anything posted here for something this important. Princess requires ALL DEVICES be stored IN your cabin and they won't be there to help.

Hi, sorry I cannot help you with the Allure but on 2-3 ships other RC ships, that I have been on, I have seen scooters parked overnight by the lifts. I should mention that all the ships, that I have seen scooters parked by the lifts, all departed from Southampton.  

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

Hi, sorry I cannot help you with the Allure but on 2-3 ships other RC ships, that I have been on, I have seen scooters parked overnight by the lifts. I should mention that all the ships, that I have seen scooters parked by the lifts, all departed from Southampton.  

Like Princess, Royal requires them to be stored inside the cabin at all times when not in use.  Only Disney have I seen the alcoves where they can be p[lugged on to charge overnight.  

if it doesn't fit, you will basically have to break it down every time you go in and out of the cabin.  

21 hours ago, VgsBby said:

I'll be in the Allure in a standard inside cabin. Accessible was sold out. I called the guest access department and the rep said bring it and store it in your cabin. He said he would make a note on my booking. My TA confirmed the note.

Here's the question, what happens if it doesn't fit upon arrival, will they park it and charge it in a closet somewhere? I need it mostly for long distance (think going the entire distance of the ship or in Port) 

Ben

You might take a look at this:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

(See "Assistive Devices")

Make sure you complete and submit the Guest Special Needs Form. 

If your scooter won't fit in your room, your room steward will stow it for you until you need it. 

On 11/28/2018 at 10:33 AM, kokopelli-az said:

You might take a look at this:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

If your scooter won't fit in your room, your room steward will stow it for you until you need it. 

Are you sure about them storing it for you?

thats contrary to my experience or other reports I’ve heard and read.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:33 PM, kokopelli-az said:

This is from the same link you provided "Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers." My advise from  years ago still stands, read everything the cruise line provides.

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I'm sorry, I stand corrected.    According to RCCL's Accessible Dept, the standard door width in a non-accessible stateroom is 23" and the scooter must fit through this.   I know some people have to take off the arms or partially disassemble the scooter to get it in the door.    The room attendant does not stow the scooter elsewhere.  

I just looked at the width of the standard scooter rented by Special Needs at Sea (Pride GoGo Sport) and it is listed as 21-1/4" wide.   Others who have had scooters in non-accessible rooms on RCCL can probably advise on the width of their scooter and whether or not it fit through the door without removing arms, disassembling it. 

On 11/27/2018 at 6:14 AM, Bloodgem said:

Parking scooters overnight by the lifts is in violation of SOLAS and RCI's policy regarding mobility devices.  It should be reported to guest services and the hotel director immediately.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:14 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Parking scooters overnight by the lifts is in violation of SOLAS and RCI's policy regarding mobility devices.  It should be reported to guest services and the hotel director immediately.

You’re absolutely right.  On one of our previous cruises, the mother of the lead singer had her scooter taken away from the hallway outside her cabin.  The lead singer asked us if we had any idea where to find it.  We told her about the rules and to go to Guest Services.  They weren’t complaining, they just needed help and asked us because we helped her mother out in another situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve also been on board where unruly teens took, and destroyed a man’s scooter that he parked in the hallway.  When a scooter is left in a hallway, it makes it impossible for others with wheelchairs, walkers or scooters to get past them. 

Is this your personal scooter, or are you renting it? I have had scooters in regular cabins on RCCL many times. (While I usually have balcony cabins, the door width is the same.) If it is a standard scooter from Special Needs Group (Scoot Around), you should not have a problem - but you DO have to be a fairly decent driver to make it through the doorway. Once inside, it's a bit of a tight fit, but doable. I cannot speak for how it would work with a heavy duty scooter. 

I also recommend packing a door stop. This way you can prop the door open while you drive in and out.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:50 PM, kokopelli-az said:

I'm sorry, I stand corrected.    According to RCCL's Accessible Dept, the standard door width in a non-accessible stateroom is 23" and the scooter must fit through this.   I know some people have to take off the arms or partially disassemble the scooter to get it in the door.    The room attendant does not stow the scooter elsewhere.  

I just looked at the width of the standard scooter rented by Special Needs at Sea (Pride GoGo Sport) and it is listed as 21-1/4" wide.   Others who have had scooters in non-accessible rooms on RCCL can probably advise on the width of their scooter and whether or not it fit through the door without removing arms, disassembling it. 

Once I explain, go to a door where the door opens away from you to fully understand. Standard cabin door FRAME is 23" wide, However the door only opens about 90 degrees. The actual door takes about 1 1/2" from frame opening. Actual AVAILABLE space is about 21 1/2".

Your specs say you have 1/4" to work with. If cabin is along a corridor, scooter will approach at an angle, making the scooter's width more like 22-23"

I have taken my mobility scooter onboard both RCCL ships and Celebrity ships, I have a Go Go Sport Elite, and we usually have booked an ordinary balcony cabin, and can get the scooter in and out of the cabin.   Depending on the layout of the cabin, we have (once inside), either left it upright, or have broken it down to be stored.   When we have broken it down, we have stored it at the side of the settee near the balcony window, and it has been out of site.  I don't usually require to use the scooter around the ship, but will use it if we are at ports etc.

• 6 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 4:15 PM, GUT2407 said:

I suspect that it actually depends on which RCL ship!  I’ve seen scooters plugged in overnight near the elevators, on the older ships, but not on the few newer ships I’ve been on.    The older RCL handicap room doors are narrower than most so I couldn’t assure you that the scooters I saw weren’t from the HC rooms! 

So, this is my experience on Carnival and Celebrity.  When we cruised on the Carnival Ecstasy with one scooter, we had a standard cabin and we were traveling with a scooter and rollator, neither of which fit easily through the door of the cabin.  Our cabin was right across from the elevator lobby and our room steward told us it would be fine to park both the rollator and the scooter in a corner of the elevator lobby - away from foot traffic and from the fire doors.  When we needed to charge the scooter, we simply found a couple of places where we could sit and work while the scooter charged.

On the Celebrity Summit in June, we were traveling with two scooters and were in a Verandah room.  We were advised by customer service that the door width on our cabin was 28", that was not true (I suspect the door to the verandah was 28").  The way the cabin was set up, there was no way to even get one scooter in the room without blocking the bathroom.  Again, we spoke with the cabin steward once we realized the scooters were not going to fit in the cabin, he told us it was perfectly fine to park in the elevator lobby at night (basically the only time we were in our cabin, except to change for dinner).  He also let us know to call Guest Services when the scooters needed charging and they would come get them and bring them back in the morning.  We would call and within 5 minutes they were there to take the scooters and they were back in the parking spots by 6:30 am in the next morning.

I realize not all ships will accommodate like this and I'm frankly quite concerned about a cruise we have booked in January of 2021 on the Carnival Sunshine.  The Sunshine does not have any fully-accessible cabins with 32" doors.  They only have ambulatory accessible cabins with standard 23" doors.  I do not believe my scooter will fit through that door.  The scooter is 22.25" wide at the base (I have the arm rests taken off, so the base should be the widest point).  Even though we are booked in an AAC, which will have room for both scooters, I don't think I can get mine through the door.  We specifically chose a cabin location that had alcoves near the cabin that we may be able to park at least the wider scooter in and be out of anyone's way, but if Carnival decides to actively enforce their rules about parking outside the room, we will have a problem.  

We do always try to book handicapped accessible cabins, but even booking a year or more out, they can be tough to find.  I have to wonder if the Sunshine have ZERO fully accessible cabins isn't a violation of the ADA.  And upon doing a Google search it looks like they paid a DOJ settlement for not having adequate accessibility onboard their ships.

We should NOT have to book a Suite or a higher class of room just to have a wider door.

Cruisingagain1960,

Is the Sunshine a newer ship?  The older ships, eg RCL, could not adapt their door widths so they warn you that the doors are relatively narrow.  

As for the Summit, we had trouble getting 2 rollators in a handicap verandah.  At least where a scooter is most likely placed,.  

Fairly recently we were on a Celebrity president’s cruise where someone asked if the newer ships would have more accessible cabins.  We were told that they average 5% vacancy and thus there seems to be no reason to add more, atm.  If that includes the rest of the world that may be possible but I haven’t experienced it their either.   I think the a missing that they cannot count those that don’t book because they cannot function in a non handicapped room!   The feeling seems to be with more ships more rooms were becoming available.  So far I haven’t found that to be true, which is why I think there is a undercounting of need.  

My mobility is deteriorating, so my option to deal with” non accessible” rooms is becoming less too.  No more than 7 days!  And then I need handrails more and more, and a bench shower! 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

If cruise line staff tell you that it's OK to park a mobility device anywhere in a corridor, a stairway lobby, an elevator lobby, or access thereof, they are telling you that it's OK to violate SOLAS fire safety regulations and they are telling you it's OK to place the lives of other passengers and crew at risk.

Mobilty devices parked in the corridors or stairway/elevator lobbies should be reported to guest services and/or the hotel director.  If they profess not to know that such practice is a fire safety hazard, a word to a senior officer is in order.

35 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

If cruise line staff tell you that it's OK to park a mobility device anywhere in a corridor, a stairway lobby, an elevator lobby, or access thereof, they are telling you that it's OK to violate SOLAS fire safety regulations and they are telling you it's OK to place the lives of other passengers and crew at risk.

Mobilty devices parked in the corridors or stairway/elevator lobbies should be reported to guest services and/or the hotel director.  If they profess not to know that such practice is a fire safety hazard, a word to a senior officer is in order.

I’ve tried that when tables and carts were left in inconvenient locations by the crew, and overnight.  Normally 3 days later they are back!    The scooters in lobbies that I’ve seen are more out of the way than I could have imagined they could be!  

Neither of these justifies blocking escape escape routes especially when lives depend upon them being available.  And yes I’ve not been able to pass a scooter left in the hall while trying to reach an accessible room farther down the hall!  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 12:44 PM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I’ve tried that when tables and carts were left in inconvenient locations by the crew, and overnight.  Normally 3 days later they are back!    The scooters in lobbies that I’ve seen are more out of the way than I could have imagined they could be!  

Neither of these justifies blocking escape escape routes especially when lives depend upon them being available.  And yes I’ve not been able to pass a scooter left in the hall while trying to reach an accessible room farther down the hall!  

Agreed, and I would never park somewhere that could impeded anyone from evacuating the ship in the event of an emergency.  So I would NEVER park in a hallway, etc.  

My post was based on what I've personally experienced.  Everything is subject to change at any time : ))

On 7/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Cruisingagain1960,

Is the Sunshine a newer ship?  The older ships, eg RCL, could not adapt their door widths so they warn you that the doors are relatively narrow.  

As for the Summit, we had trouble getting 2 rollators in a handicap verandah.  At least where a scooter is most likely placed,.  

Fairly recently we were on a Celebrity president’s cruise where someone asked if the newer ships would have more accessible cabins.  We were told that they average 5% vacancy and thus there seems to be no reason to add more, atm.  If that includes the rest of the world that may be possible but I haven’t experienced it their either.   I think the a missing that they cannot count those that don’t book because they cannot function in a non handicapped room!   The feeling seems to be with more ships more rooms were becoming available.  So far I haven’t found that to be true, which is why I think there is a undercounting of need.  

My mobility is deteriorating, so my option to deal with” non accessible” rooms is becoming less too.  No more than 7 days!  And then I need handrails more and more, and a bench shower! 

I think you hit the nail on the head with your observation about the percentage of rooms.  I can't tell you how many times, we've decided not to cruise a particular ship or itinerary simply because there were no handicapped accessible cabins available.  I understand that the more cabins they can cram on the ship, the more money they can make, but at the very least put some wider cabin doors on some of these larger cabins.  We don't have to have a handicapped accessible bathroom (it's nice to have to the extra grab bars, hand holds and larger shower), but we do need the wider door to at least get the scooters in the room...