Internet Package -- Sticker Shock

Wine-O

Got an email offering various discounts in the cruise planner for an upcoming 7-night Alaska cruise.  With the 20% discount, they want $269.60 for a 2-device internet package and $199.20 for just one device.  I've purchased the internet package on various cruises, but paid nothing close to what they are asking for 7 nights.  We're doing a B2B (up to Seward and back to Vancouver), so the price would double for 14 days.

My initial thought is that I can get by with my Elite+ 240 minutes by logging on/off to download email & podcasts, but my Verizon Cell coverage should be adequate as we will be in Alaska most of the cruise, and I am covered for Canada.   How good is cell coverage in Alaska, and do you turn off data when out at sea so you don't connect to the ship's system?

I recently did the Alaska cruise and found that on T-Mobile I had good cell connectivity in all of the ports.   While it isn't that much more -  remember that as an Elite Plus you get 35% off the package.  

If I were you, I would call Captain's Club and check on the price.    I believe the $269.60 to be in error.   I was just off of Silhouette and the price per day was $22/day pre discount for 1 device and $17 each per day for 2 devices.

We did fine with our Verizon coverage in Alaska. We were with our entire family so I didn’t need to worry about people calling me. You can get one day coverage in advance on Verizon for Canada which will cover you there.  On the last day the ship sold a 20 min package for $25 for those that wanted to print boarding passes or check email. When  you are sailing keep your phone on airplane mode. Then you can turn that off when you are coming into a port. 

We have Verizon and sailed the same route this past May.  Cell coverage in Alaska was to be found in each port, but sometimes it was spotty (and occasionally non-existent) while docked at ports, onboard the ship.  Many times I had to go out to the balcony to get any kind of signal.  In port, it was generally decent to very good.  We are also Elite Plus, so found that plus the port cell coverage to be enough.  I have not looked at the prices to calculate, but there is an Elite Plus discount if you buy an internet package, which may be cheaper than the percent off you are being quoted- I don't recall what the percentage is.  I think you need to call to be able to do that, but not 100% sure.  But overall, unless you need constant coverage I think most Elite Plus folks would do fine with coverage on an Alaska cruise.  When we get onboard we turn on airplane mode unless we want to sign in, and that does the trick.

Edited by phoenix_dream

22 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Got an email offering various discounts in the cruise planner for an upcoming 7-night Alaska cruise.  With the 20% discount, they want $269.60 for a 2-device internet package and $199.20 for just one device.  I've purchased the internet package on various cruises, but paid nothing close to what they are asking for 7 nights.  We're doing a B2B (up to Seward and back to Vancouver), so the price would double for 14 days.

My initial thought is that I can get by with my Elite+ 240 minutes by logging on/off to download email & podcasts, but my Verizon Cell coverage should be adequate as we will be in Alaska most of the cruise, and I am covered for Canada.   How good is cell coverage in Alaska, and do you turn off data when out at sea so you don't connect to the ship's system?

Celebrity internet prices are outrageous. On my upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise I bought their Voom and Surf package on sale for $83.93. That is reasonable and there are many sea days so it will be worth it.  I don't pay the $200 or more that Celebrity wants when on Celebrity.  I use my 240 minutes logging on and off combined with $10 cell passes on AT&T if the ports are not included. My AT&T plan includes Canada and Mexico so I would not need those on an Alaska cruise. I don't think you need to buy a Celebrity plan for an Alaska cruise when you have the 240 minutes. Even Elites with only 90 minutes could get by if they were careful. 

We got mostly decent cell coverage in Alaska with Verizon in ports. Icy Straight Point wasn't great, but the bartender at the dock restaurant told us where to stand. It also depends on whether your phone is 4G or 3G. We used our Elite minutes in the iLounge, because we tend to forget to sign out on our devices and then go way over.

I really don't understand why Celebrity's internet prices are so high.  Did an MSC Yacht Club 1-week cruise in October and the price for 2 devices was around $80 for the 7 nights.  The connection speed was similar.

On Celebrity, I just muddle through with my 240 Elite+ minutes unless I'm in a suite which comes with unlimited internet.

39 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I really don't understand why Celebrity's internet prices are so high.  Did an MSC Yacht Club 1-week cruise in October and the price for 2 devices was around $80 for the 7 nights.  The connection speed was similar.

On Celebrity, I just muddle through with my 240 Elite+ minutes unless I'm in a suite which comes with unlimited internet.

My guess is because they often include it in their pick the perks deals. Inflates the percieved value of doing the perk packages. 

AT&T worked just fine in the ports of  Alaska.  Did not use many minutes from our Elite perks.    Frankly, I would not pay those prices as Internet was not particularly fast.  A lot of downtime waiting and waiting.  

1 hour ago, Paulras said:

Can we share a 3 device plan if the third person is in another cabin? 

It should not be a problem. When you buy a package, you can give anyone the info to log on. Just confirm with Celebrity. 

Edited by Turtles06

On 12/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, Algebralovr said:

I would call in.  I’m Elite and just paid $188 for my 12 night cruise on Silhouette for Feb.  my 7-night cruise in Dec 19 on EQ was $157 with my Elite.  Your E+ price should be less. 

I just talked with the Captain's Club, and with the 35% discount, they want $149 for the 7-night Alaska cruise.   We're just going to use the 240 minutes when we are out of cell coverage and use my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop when we do have Verizon coverage.  

Thanks everyone for your input.