charging phones in Rome

trout96

You don't need specific USB charging access.  Use what you use at home: a plug that goes into you wall socket and has a USB outlet where you plug in your USB cord for your phone.  If you plug in and charge from your computer, then go out and buy a plug.   Plenty out there to buy.  I'd suggest a lightweight one, so you can just attach a US-EU adapter on it.  If it's heavy, sometimes they will sag on the outlet.  I have a 2-USB port Smart Charger by Native Union.  It's extremely low profile and very light.  It's in my cable bag at all times.  I also have a US-EU adapter in there, so I'm set anytime I travel (I only go North America and Europe now).  If you want to spend $10 more, they have the same model that comes with  multiple international adapters.

I have an iphone and need only an adapter regardless of where I travel in europe. I also carry a portable cell phone charger in my purse (they are small, inexpensive & I can charge my phone "on the go" 2x without the need to recharge my portable charger). 

On 12/2/2018 at 7:23 PM, slidergirl said:

You don't need specific USB charging access.  Use what you use at home: a plug that goes into you wall socket and has a USB outlet where you plug in your USB cord for your phone.  If you plug in and charge from your computer, then go out and buy a plug.   Plenty out there to buy.  I'd suggest a lightweight one, so you can just attach a US-EU adapter on it.  If it's heavy, sometimes they will sag on the outlet.  I have a 2-USB port Smart Charger by Native Union.  It's extremely low profile and very light.  It's in my cable bag at all times.  I also have a US-EU adapter in there, so I'm set anytime I travel (I only go North America and Europe now).  If you want to spend $10 more, they have the same model that comes with  multiple international adapters.

Some of us have USB at home these days! :classic_biggrin:

9C117405-2397-422A-9824-261799438FB5.jpeg

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Some of us have USB at home these days! :classic_biggrin:

9C117405-2397-422A-9824-261799438FB5.jpeg

Most of us don't. 😉   But, EU is usually ahead of the US in cool technology.  Did you install this over an existing wall socket or is it a new install?    But, do you carry a charger plug with you when you travel, or do you assume you'll be someplace where you only have to plug in a USB cord?

I have this and ours is installed over an existing socket.  I know for certain that I a

ways carry an adapter plug along with my usb cord.  I also have a device that I can charge before leaving home and charge my devices through it.

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Most of us don't. 😉   But, EU is usually ahead of the US in cool technology.  Did you install this over an existing wall socket or is it a new install?    But, do you carry a charger plug with you when you travel, or do you assume you'll be someplace where you only have to plug in a USB cord?

The face place in the photo replaces the old one which just has two outlets, and no USP ports.  It’s fairly simple to fit onto nto an existing electrical outlet box.

When we travel, I carry a small USB charging tower and every type of electrical plug adapter known to man, because I never know what we’re going to get in a hotel.  On our last visit to the US, I bought a couple of US adapters for the iPhone, because they’re useful to have on the ships.  We also have UK and EU iPhone adapters.  They all fit into a little packing cube.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:43 PM, lisiamc said:

The face place in the photo replaces the old one which just has two outlets, and no USP ports.  It’s fairly simple to fit onto nto an existing electrical outlet box.

When we travel, I carry a small USB charging tower and every type of electrical plug adapter known to man, because I never know what we’re going to get in a hotel.  On our last visit to the US, I bought a couple of US adapters for the iPhone, because they’re useful to have on the ships.  We also have UK and EU iPhone adapters.  They all fit into a little packing cube.

Yep, Thats the way to go, in our various cable ditty bags we have an assortment of adapters and  cables. It always pays to have a extra adapters for the areas your going to visit, as sometimes they get misplaced or even lost. One of the best items I ever found was a triple European Outlet. Its great for ships as most seem to have limited outlets, but always seem to have a mix (US/European). Plug in my little triple outlet, insert a couple of Euro->US Adapters add US USB Plugs and we have 3 ports to charge devices out of 1 plug. Another must have item is a couple of power sticks. I like the 5000mah ones they can give a nice full charge to a phone while out and about. I find at times when overseas my phone just seems to drain faster than at home. I suppose it might be because its bouncing around cell towers more that at home.