Very unhappy with RCL beverage package policy

9 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Because sharing a cabin is like sharing a small bedroom.

I enjoy my privacy.

I would not share a bedroom with my adult kids or mother in law...

If I couldn't afford my own cabin, I would rather stay home...….

Different strokes for different folks. Just because it's something you never do doesn't mean that no one else should do it, if it suits them. Heck, back in the old days there was only one bedroom for the family and the family kept getting bigger.

11 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Because sharing a cabin is like sharing a small bedroom.

I enjoy my privacy.

I would not share a bedroom with my adult kids or mother in law...

If I couldn't afford my own cabin, I would rather stay home...….

I don't recall the OP mentioning the size stateroom that they were staying in. Maybe I missed it

5 hours ago, FLHugh said:

Does anyone know what the per drink price is currently on the Oasis class ships?  A well drink and a Call drink?

And do the give D+ a discount for purchasing on-board?

D+ get a 30% onboard discount on the Deluxe package.

A basic well drink is around $9.  Call drinks can go way up depending on the age of the spirits.

38 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't recall the OP mentioning the size stateroom that they were staying in. Maybe I missed it

The did say they were sailing on Oasis. The OP did reference that they Diamond members so they can access the Diamond Lounge. 

They didn’t say what cabin but if they were Star Class they’d all have drink packages, if it was Sky Class they could all go to the SL for free drinks between 11am and 11pm, so they are either in Sea Class or a non-Suite cabin of some variety.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

FYI  

I am booked for a large cabin and my daughter likes to drink on her vacation.  

Before I make my decision, any suggestions from the posters with resonable advice?

Buried within all the judgemental posts you have already received all your options.  

Unfortunstely they are few.  Either pay as you go for your daughter or buy the package for her with the refreshment package for yourself and your husband.

You might be able to buy the package with the soda package for the 2 of you on-board 

Like others have stated it would probably be the least expensive option to just pay as you go.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On 12/6/2018 at 7:29 PM, Eastern flygirl said:

Do you think they would sell her the package on the ship?

Yes, they will.  I'm currently on Vision's Panama Canal cruise and bartender David in the  R Bar told me you can buy the package on board singly, you only have to buy for everyone in the cabin if you purchase in advance on line

9 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

Yes, they will.  I'm currently on Vision's Panama Canal cruise and bartender David in the  R Bar told me you can buy the package on board singly, you only have to buy for everyone in the cabin if you purchase in advance on line

People from other ships have been told otherwise.

1 hour ago, wolfcathorse said:

Was not the case on the Freedom last August.

17 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Was not the case on the Freedom last August.

Your cruise was 4 months ago, I'm reporting what the bar tender told me December 6, 2018 at 3 pm. Maybe I should have taken that with a grain of salt, he also said I couldn't buy the drink package on this sailing if there was less than 7 days left in the cruise. 

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You could also pay as you go in the beginning and watch for the 10 drink card package. 

That might be a good option. Last cruise I was on - Liberty last month - the 10 drink card came out on the 3rd day & was priced at $79 but that might vary by ship.  If she is  primarily a beer drinker, you'll break even as the average price is $7-$9.  Anything stronger & you'll come out ahead. As far as I know, you can buy as many drink cards as needed.

The only caveat is not all sailings may offer the 10 drink card. Not sure if you can find out in advance.

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The only caveat is not all sailings may offer the 10 drink card. Not sure if you can find out in advance.

I think it depends on how drink sales are going on that particular sailing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

Phoenix, WCH has been on here as long as the rest of us and I believe what both of you tell us. I think that you can probably purchase a single package onboard (price will be higher) They are pushing them so heavily, and the crew member gets credit for packages sold. It would not surprise me if your daughter walked up to a table on the first day and they will sell her one. 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:14 PM, Landlocked Luke said:

I was trying to generalize for the situation many cruisers face with family. The OP is sharing a cabin with a MIL. That is a situation all by itself.

The OP is sharing a cabin with an adult daughter. I'm not sure why this is even part of the discussion. That said, I've taken numerous vacations with my parents, and shared a room.

1. It's less expensive
  2. We don't spend much time there
  3. My parents are getting up there, and I cherish every moment I get to spend with them

My point is that we all have our reasons for doing what we do. Just because YOU wouldn't want to share a room doesn't mean it would bother the rest of us.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Coralc said:

Phoenix, WCH has been on here as long as the rest of us and I believe what both of you tell us. I think that you can probably purchase a single package onboard (price will be higher) They are pushing them so heavily, and the crew member gets credit for packages sold. It would not surprise me if your daughter walked up to a table on the first day and they will sell her one. 

It depends entirely upon the ship. Some ships may bend the files set by Miami to increase their sales while others do not.  So far from first hand reports there are very few ships bending the rules. 

On 12/7/2018 at 2:44 PM, smplybcause said:

I dunno, how much time do you really spend in your room? Unless you're one to sit on a balcony for hours - your room is often the place you use the least on a cruise. Makes sense to cut costs on the things you use the least. 

Hard to say, as those with low cost cabins have the least amenities to be in their cabins.

We tend to do GS and spend a lot of time in the cabin or on the balcony.

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It depends entirely upon the ship. Some ships may bend the files set by Miami to increase their sales while others do not.  So far from first hand reports there are very few ships bending the rules. 

Could very well be.  Maybe it is allowed on older, smaller ships like the Vision that Wolf was on.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:49 PM, Host Clarea said:

I think it depends on how drink sales are going on that particular sailing.

Hey Bob.... I know in the past, some ships offered 20% off drink packages for D.  Is this the case any more that you have heard of?  I was told yes on Navigator earlier this year but no on Jewel.  Wondering for Anthem..... hmmmmmmm  

We just got off of the Anthem and ran into the same problem.  I will maybe get one drink a day but my husband drinks more.  First crew member we approached wouldn't sell the deluxe to only my husband.  We said no thanks and walked away.  Approached another crew member selling the packages and he had no problem selling the deluxe to my husband and the refresh package to me.  He would have sold the soda package to me but I wanted the specialty teas and fresh squeezed OJ.  So if you decide you want it, just keep asking until you get the answer you want - just like when you call them!  🙂

• Like 1